The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3180
Original post by SciFiRory
so according to CAB my best bet is to apply for ESA which they reckon I'll get the income related support group thing or something on (which is apparently quite a bit which then goes up after so many weeks and some kind of assessment thing and also goes up in December cause I turn 25)

kinda worried a bit about that but my mum says she will help/support me with it and CAB are gonna help me as well, plus my GP said he would write any notes or anything that is needed!

talking to housing people tomorrow so hopefully that will go okay as well.

still a lot to sort out though, gah I hate stress :/

on the upside I called Sky for my mum cause they were overcharging her and she's now getting like £140 refund from them :biggrin:

I have to do all that too. Benefits are so confusing! I'm waiting to speak to my mental health advisor because I don't even know if I'm going to be entitled to it or not. Good luck with it all! Let me know if you get stressed or want help with it or just want to rant because I'm doing similar things and find they require a lot of moaning about :colondollar:
Original post by sadpanda123
Hi thanks for replying. Yeah, I would have to find the money to pay fees for the first 2 years because I have done 2 years already (I'm in Scotland). I wish I'd done Medicine/Vet Medicine instead of this but they won't consider me if I choose to leave :frown: even though I've done well in my modules so it's not like I've failed and been unable to cope with the coursework. But doing this course and not being able to do something I want is really making me so unhappy (so I think about bad things) and the counsellor agrees it is a big part of my problem, as I feel I'm being punished with my dad's illness (he was will at end of school/application time so little opportunity for a lot of prior thought and work experience as I had to help care for him and my family). Not even is it **** enough for that to have happened it has ruined my future as well.

Damn, That's a shame. Can you do a graduate medicine course after you've finished this degree? Not ideal but maybe it would give you some hope for the future.

:smile:
Original post by danny111
Hey, it's not just you, those are big things for you, and I fare similarly with big things for me. I keep putting them off for no reason until it is on the verge of too late. I know exactly what you mean when you say you want to ignore them. So it's not pathetic at all!

I usually have my mum who kicks my ass when something important needs doing. You have anyone who could kick your ass?

Haha i dont and i haven't for 4 years now :tongue: I find it difficult to motivate too :\ My parents are about 5 hours away so its not like i can see them regular either.
Just for all those applying for ESA. The assessment will be done by ATOS. It is very important to understand the nature of the interview before you attend. Important points are:

1. They are not there to assess whether you are ill as such. The diagnosis of your illness is not part of the grading system. You could be dying of Cancer for instance but the only thing that matters in their system are the answers to a set of questions designed to analyse what you are able to actually do. So, the person with Cancer may fail the test because they can walk a certain distance, watch television or read a newspaper (used as proof of ability to concentrate) and make a meal (used as proof they can undertake a task) etc Each set of questions is graded to give 'points' and to get into the support group you need a certain number of points.

2. This being the case you should consider how to answer very carefully with a complete bias towards describing what you can and can't do. For example people with mental health conditions may be unable to prepare a hot meal because they would burn themselves.

3. ALL parts of the interview are part of the assessment, including any chat as you enter or leave the room. Questions such as' did you get here okay' or 'did you find the place alright' are actually used as part of the assessment. Obviously many people with mental health issues are taken to the centre by a nurse or relative as they are unable to find their way safely and cannot deal with strange situations..

4. Your ability to answer the questions calmly is also used as part of the assesment. Do not try to cover up any distress you are experiencing. They will be looking at your presentation/clothes as proof of an ability to present yourself to strangers appropriately etc
They are as daft as most of the population and expect that those with mental health problems will look a certain way. As my friend once said they are expecting egg on your tie!

6. You can find examples of the questions on line with people's experience of the assessment. Read this before going. They are not on your side however pleasant the assessment interview appears so you need to prepare yourself for the system as it stands.

7. A elderly woman failed the test because she was asked if she has difficulty using stairs and said 'no'. This was because she avoided all stairs and lived in a bungalow. She should have answered 'yes'. So remember to answer in relation to your worst scenario's; not in relation to the things you have sorted by avoiding them.

8. If you get into the support group consider choosing the job centre as your aid rather than any private company offered. This does depend on if your job centre is relatively nice though. Just compare the two before you commit.

Good luck,

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SciFiRory
so according to CAB my best bet is to apply for ESA which they reckon I'll get the income related support group thing or something on (which is apparently quite a bit which then goes up after so many weeks and some kind of assessment thing and also goes up in December cause I turn 25)

kinda worried a bit about that but my mum says she will help/support me with it and CAB are gonna help me as well, plus my GP said he would write any notes or anything that is needed!

talking to housing people tomorrow so hopefully that will go okay as well.

still a lot to sort out though, gah I hate stress :/

on the upside I called Sky for my mum cause they were overcharging her and she's now getting like £140 refund from them :biggrin:

I've started ESA, and they've sent a a loot of letters to me. I need to get another letter from my doc soon so i can keep getting the money. Im also having trouble with housing benefit since i came off jobseekers and gone on to ESA, and im moving house in a week >_>

I've got like 2 letters every day for the last week and its stressing me out, but there seems to be a lot of support that comes with ESA, so im kinda glad for going onto it for the help i should get with my health.

Original post by catoswyn
Just for all those applying for ESA. The assessment will be done by ATOS. It is very important to understand the nature of the interview before you attend. Important points are:

1. They are not there to assess whether you are ill as such. The diagnosis of your illness is not part of the grading system. You could be dying of Cancer for instance but the only thing that matters in their system are the answers to a set of questions designed to analyse what you are able to actually do. So, the person with Cancer may fail the test because they can walk a certain distance, watch television or read a newspaper (used as proof of ability to concentrate) and make a meal (used as proof they can undertake a task) etc Each set of questions is graded to give 'points' and to get into the support group you need a certain number of points.

2. This being the case you should consider how to answer very carefully with a complete bias towards describing what you can and can't do. For example people with mental health conditions may be unable to prepare a hot meal because they would burn themselves.

3. ALL parts of the interview are part of the assessment, including any chat as you enter or leave the room. Questions such as' did you get here okay' or 'did you find the place alright' are actually used as part of the assessment. Obviously many people with mental health issues are taken to the centre by a nurse or relative as they are unable to find their way safely and cannot deal with strange situations..

4. Your ability to answer the questions calmly is also used as part of the assesment. Do not try to cover up any distress you are experiencing.

6. You can find examples of the questions on line with people's experience of the assessment. Read this before going. They are not on your side however pleasant the assessment interview appears so you need to prepare yourself for the system as it stands.

7. A elderly woman failed the test because she was asked if she has difficulty using stairs and said 'no'. This was because she avoided all stairs and lived in a bungalow. She should have answered 'yes'. So remember to answer in relation to your worst scenario's; not in relation to the things you have sorted by avoiding them.

Good luck,

Thanks for the advice!
(edited 10 years ago)
So drained woth a massive headache. Just need sleep but not going back to my sisters other place till 9 or 10 :frown: gahhhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
So drained woth a massive headache. Just need sleep but not going back to my sisters other place till 9 or 10 :frown: gahhhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: how did the doctors go btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3187
Just for all those applying for ESA. The assessment will be done by ATOS.

The same people doing my DSA assessment on Friday. Now you have me worried with what you've said about ESA :redface:
Original post by Kindred
:hugs: how did the doctors go btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou :smile: it was ok i guess.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deyesy
The same people doing my DSA assessment on Friday. Now you have me worried with what you've said about ESA :redface:

ATOS don't do DSA assessments, do they? With the DSA assessment, your application will have already been approved, it's just a case of working out what support is best for you. Don't worry about it!
I had my ESA a couple of years back, I found it hard, cried my eyes out, told her how angry I had Been towards others etc, she was nice....

She failed me! Said I wasn't upset or angry in the session (no need to get angry at her she was nice!)

I went fir the review which Is with a board of drs and within 5 mins they assessed I was unable to work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dsa is different mine was lovely if you've been assessed yes through sfe you'll mire than likely get it :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3192
Original post by Anonymous
ATOS don't do DSA assessments, do they? With the DSA assessment, your application will have already been approved, it's just a case of working out what support is best for you. Don't worry about it!

Closest place for me was an ATOS centre so it would seem they do. But I guess you're right that SFE have already approved my application :redface:
Original post by Deyesy
Closest place for me was an ATOS centre so it would seem they do. But I guess you're right that SFE have already approved my application :redface:

Seems odd... Either way, it'll be nothing like an ESA assessment! :smile: The assessor will be doing everything they can to help you. Mine was really nice (even if she completely misinterpreted a lot of stuff which resulted in me sending lots of corrections to the assessment centre when I received the draft report (I recommend that you ask to receive a copy of the draft report).
Original post by Deyesy

Sorry I didn't mean to worry anyone. Don't worry. The DSA is a different type of assessment and system even when done by ATOS. They are not trying to catch you out and are genuinely there to help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kmcgowan13
I had my ESA a couple of years back, I found it hard, cried my eyes out, told her how angry I had Been towards others etc, she was nice....

She failed me! Said I wasn't upset or angry in the session (no need to get angry at her she was nice!)

I went fir the review which Is with a board of drs and within 5 mins they assessed I was unable to work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what I was trying to say. They are really not on the side of the people for benefit claims. Working to targets is the problem. Glad to hear that you won the appeal. The truth is that most people do win their appeals which shows what a farce the whole thing is!

(edited 10 years ago)
Damn, That's a shame. Can you do a graduate medicine course after you've finished this degree? Not ideal but maybe it would give you some hope for the future.

I dunno really. It's not impossible but it feels it due to the level of competition, money issues, etc. I honestly don't think I'll see the end of this degree so it will probably never be an issue :smile: Thanks for listening though
mehhhhhhh saw my psychiatrist again today and going back in a few weeks... got to come off meds again because of the confusion and basically rnadomly turning in to a different person :/
Original post by asdfgah
Yeah it's not ideal. It's exacerbating other health issues as well so I'm generally feeling pretty poorly. (Have diabetes, and being in allergic reaction raises blood sugar a lot.) Tried going for a run and did 5.5K but ended up being more of a gentle jog with walking breaks.. combination of not really being able to breathe and blood sugar of 20something (normal around 5) not very helpful for performance... Is **** when I can't exercise properly because I know that running for an hour every couple of days is really beneficial for my mental and physical health. I'm already on two antihistamines so not sure I can take any more, just feel like going to bed and crying. :sad:

Sorry to hear you're not doing too well. I hope you have fun!

Hey, I have to say, I have a lot of respect for you here, going out and trying even though you have health issues. Really do! Hope they get well enough for you to at least go jogging. How are you doing now, still feeling like crying?

And thanks, yea it was actually pretty okay. It was rather exhausting and the guys there are a lot better than me which is kind of daunting, but they are nice and one guy showed me a few things. There's about two weeks til they go on summer break and they said I could just come til then and see how I like it, so that's good :smile:
Reply 3199
Original post by kahinalouise
I know, I have loads of pens still in the packets :colondollar:, and notebooks and things I have never written in so I definitely get what you're saying. I hate that when you buy something and when you want it you cant find it then when you buy more you find them, thats annoying :angry:. I don't think I will ever finish :s-smilie:.

I'm ok, had my last session with my college counsellor I can carry on next year but it will be with a different person so I'm not sure yet. Just trying to keep busy Over the summer.
Are you going to uni in September

Oh no, massive good luck in finishing it :smile: :hugs:

Oh ok, yeah staying busy over the summer is difficult. I've isolated myself over the years and that has left me without a social life, so it won't be very easy at all when a lot of people will potentially be having the best summer of their lives partying and stuff before uni starts. I think I've got stuff I can get on with though :yep:. And I'll hopefully be going to uni :smile: just need to hope the results go my way :crossedf:

Why do I get the impression that this girl is ignoring me? :sad: She is someone I've known for years and has been good towards me, and in fact she said wanted to talk to me about how I was feeling when she thought things weren't going well for me. I told her what things were like for me and she was sympathetic :smile: that was like 2 months ago, but now she doesn't really seem to be in the mood to talk to me and doesn't really reply to my messages :erm:

Latest