The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Grade Boundaries folks????

I suspect that it'll be very similar to summer 2010 which was 81 for Distinction, 63 for merit.
Reply 121
Original post by MathsNerd1
I did this one first :redface: I'm certain I didn't answer 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 :redface: Completely that is :-/

I did Q1 I might've made a mistake though, knowing me.

Couldn't finish Q2... The sin(theta + 17) or whatever one... The simplifying was crazy.

Q3... Vectors?
I guessed some parts, seemed legit, but the last part asking about L3 equation.
Mind went blank.

Q4 ... Series?
yeah. Too much guessing probably 1-2 marks out of them.

Q5... That was the integral of u and v?
Seemed okay.. Not sure about the last bit with e^tanx and using that to find V...

Q6... The f(x) g(x) integration...
That was so weird. I have no idea how I did there. A lot of guesswork.

Q7... The graph question... If I remember It was a chunky 22marks
The P(alpha,beta) bit... Asking you to find alpha. Mind went blank again.
Loads of guesswork and incomplete solutions there.
I sketched the graph without realising you're meant to use graph paper :L
quite a fail I must say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brittanna
When I was doing the paper I thought it was fairly difficult compared to lots of the past papers ... and I still do. Maybe it's just because it's the paper I actually did, but I think I struggled more with this one than others, although other people seem to think it wasn't too bad so i'm probably just trying to make myself fell better :colondollar:.

I think I've done okay. I don't think I've got any whole questions completely wrong, but I will have got a lot of the 1 and 2 mark questions wrong, which will all add up. Hopefully I will still be above the distinction. I kind of need to be as I'm not sure if I will have done well enough in another exam I took today to try and meet my offer (this is me trying not to be very specific :tongue:).

Well I'll be happy just to get a merit as I didn't do almost all of 7, half of 4, mainly all of 2 and so on but I didn't practice as much in this than I did for STEP which I'm pretty certain I've been able to pull off what I needed today in the other exam, so depending on what gets said tomorrow will either make me very happy or a bit nervous really :tongue:
Reply 123
I got that wrong then :s-smilie:. I think I got 15/48 for one of them and another value (it may have been 5/16).(I can't remember which one was positive and which was negative).

Edit: Just realised 15/48 simplifies to 5/16 :facepalm2:.

Aaaghh
I didn't get either I think
I probably messed up simplifying the fractions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M2k13

Couldn't finish Q2... The sin(theta + 17) or whatever one... The simplifying was crazy.

Q3... Vectors?
Mind went blank.

Q4 ... Series?

Seemed okay.. Not sure about the last bit with e^tanx and using that to find V...

quite a fail I must say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is pretty much my attempt at this paper too, although for the f(x)g(x) one I worked some answers out using other techniques so just put them down instead :tongue:
Original post by Victor Victus
How'd you find it?

I think I may have lost a few marks on the trig one. I had done 360-... rather than 180-...
I didn't notice this until the end. I managed to change it, but I think I've probably made a few numerical errors somewhere (I got like 5 solutions).

And don't even get me started on the series question, i'm fairly sure I lost most of the last 7 or 8 marks on that question. The only redeeming feature of the paper was that there was only one difficult part to the vectors question, and that it was only worth 4 marks. I seem to have used the discriminant a lot in this paper so I've probably done a couple of other questions wrong as well.
Reply 126
Grade Boundaries folks????

I suspect that it'll be very similar to summer 2010 which was 81 for Distinction, 63 for merit.

Don't say that
Too high :tongue:
2010 was a nicer paper compared to this in my opinion >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M2k13
Don't say that

Posted from TSR Mobile

My predicted grade for this will most definitely be a U as I doubt any of the stuff I've actually written down will be correct and I'm still yet to work out that trig one :redface:
Reply 128
Original post by MathsNerd1
My predicted grade for this will most definitely be a U as I doubt any of the stuff I've actually written down will be correct and I'm still yet to work out that trig one :redface:

Just hope all your workings somehow gain method marks >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by M2k13

Q3... Vectors?
Mind went blank.

Q4 ... Series?

quite a fail I must say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are not alone
I think I got full solutions to Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q6 would've got full on the last Q7 but for stupid clarity!!!!! Otherwise, I'm hoping i've only dropped around 15 marks (that's an uneducated guess)? I didn't invest too much time at all into this so, meh. It meant alot to me to do well in this though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by M2k13
Just hope all your workings somehow gain method marks >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can only just hope but if not I'm not really going to die over it, just won't tell anyone I failed it that's all :tongue:
Original post by M2k13

Q3... Vectors?
Mind went blank.

Q4 ... Series?

quite a fail I must say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will we lose marks if we didn't use graph paper, but just drew a sketch in the answer booklet? I totally forgot I had any :s-smilie:.
Original post by M2k13
Don't say that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? What do you reckon it's gonna be? Also, what's your story?
Reply 134
Will we lose marks if we didn't use graph paper, but just drew a sketch in the answer booklet? I totally forgot I had any :s-smilie:.

I drew a sketch in answer booklet...
Then after a while noticing the graph paper I used the graph paper too..

I don't think they'll mind that much.
Maybe it depends on the scale of your
sketch (e.g. the y=x/3 asymptote, which was awkward to draw in my opinion :tongue:).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M2k13
I drew a sketch in answer booklet...
Then after a while noticing the graph paper I used the graph paper too..

I don't think they'll mind that much.
Maybe it depends on the scale of your
sketch (e.g. the y=x/3 asymptote, which was awkward to draw in my opinion :tongue:).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've decided not to trust anything I draw anymore :lol:. I always write notes next to everything saying what it is meant to show. (e.g. in physics, most of my graphs look awful, so I would write 'this is supposed to be a sine wave with an increasing amplitude but constant period :colondollar:').
I missed out 4,5 and the second half of 6 the first time through. I completed these questions later, after question 7 - does it matter that the questions are in the wrong order in the answer book?

Overall I thought this was an OK paper but I didn't really do so well myself as I was so tired after STEP. Messed up half the series question mainly, although I fudged an argument for the bits I couldn't do so maybe I picked up some marks. I've got no idea about the 'differentiate e^tanx' one or whatever it was so I ignored the 'hence' and solved v in the same way as u.

I'm thinking the boundaries will be about average, it was probably a little bit easier than most of the past papers but a lot of people will have done STEP first and that will affect the results.

Oh and one more thing, I didn't even have graph paper so I doubt that will really matter too much as long as you used a full page for a neat sketch.
(edited 10 years ago)
does anyone has the solutions?
Original post by raqueloliveira
does anyone has the solutions?

No but i'm prepared to converse all solutions?!?! I just don't know the last part of Q5 and Q4 respectively. How'd you think you did? what questions did you struggle on?
No but i'm prepared to converse all solutions?!?! I just don't know the last part of Q5 and Q4 respectively. How'd you think you did? what questions did you struggle on?

What was the last part of question 5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending