The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by MathsNerd1
That's rather unfortunate really and I never even asked the school whether they'd pay or not, but they paid for all 11 of my exams this term when 5 of them were either extras or resits :tongue: I hope you've done enough to get into Warwick now but I'm not sure they'd accept a merit in AEA over a 3 in STEP :redface:

I guess it depends on how high your merit is. you could have a 49 merit but a 65 merit is much better. Someone from last year got in with a merit so maybe, I will be fine regardless. hopefully i can get my A-level predictions which may work in my favour.
Original post by jarasta
I guess it depends on how high your merit is. you could have a 49 merit but a 65 merit is much better. Someone from last year got in with a merit so maybe, I will be fine regardless. hopefully i can get my A-level predictions which may work in my favour.

Yeah we'll just have to wait and see what they decide to do now, oh the joy of not knowing whether you're in or not :redface:
Reply 202
AEA was ridiculously hard. I hope I did enough on STEP I to meet my offer.
Original post by Victor Victus
No but i'm prepared to converse all solutions?!?! I just don't know the last part of Q5 and Q4 respectively. How'd you think you did? what questions did you struggle on?

I did struggle the last on vectors, the one about the function and point P (alpha, beta) and the trig. i just got one solution :/ also i didn't do the series question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raqueloliveira
I did struggle the last on vectors, the one about the function and point P (alpha, beta) and the trig. i just got one solution :/ also i didn't do the series question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean you got only one complete solution? If so, that's very good. That's almost certainly a distinction. Very impressive. What are you planning on doing at uni ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jarasta
Yes! Do I know you?

I don't know, I went to the October half term one.
Reply 206
nah you don't, i went to the spring one last year
Found STEP more mentally stimulating than AEA in a funny way but even so, I probably failed BOTH.
I wanted something extra to put on my UCAS but looks like thsoe 6 hours were a waste!
Reply 208
Original post by yl95
Found STEP more mentally stimulating than AEA in a funny way but even so, I probably failed BOTH.
I wanted something extra to put on my UCAS but looks like thsoe 6 hours were a waste!

STEP II is usually more satisfying but AEA isn't without its gems, like the fractal question, i loved that one. In fact some AEA questions had appeared on STEP II and STEP III, I'm not kidding.
Original post by jarasta
STEP II is usually more satisfying but AEA isn't without its gems, like the fractal question, i loved that one. In fact some AEA questions had appeared on STEP II and STEP III, I'm not kidding.

Haha, I haven't attempted STEP II anf STEP III questions YET but my dad is going to go through some intensive MAT prep along with questions from those two, heh.
I guess the biggest turnoff about the AEA for me is the lack of choice and if you get stuck early on in the question, the likelihood is high that you probably won't be able to answer the rest of the questions.
Are you in Year 13? Where are you hoping to go to this September?
Now that we can talk about STEP I would just like to say that if I get into Warwick it'll be because of STEP, not AEA. I kind of expected that though, a Distinction in AEA is somewhere between a 2 and a 1 in STEP in terms of difficulty I would say. I have my fingers crossed for STEP so my main worry is now my A Level Physics result unfortunately.

Oh well, I'm going to go and enjoy the summer now, good luck everyone, and have fun if you're doing anything or going anywhere nice!
Reply 211
Original post by yl95
Haha, I haven't attempted STEP II anf STEP III questions YET but my dad is going to go through some intensive MAT prep along with questions from those two, heh.
I guess the biggest turnoff about the AEA for me is the lack of choice and if you get stuck early on in the question, the likelihood is high that you probably won't be able to answer the rest of the questions.
Are you in Year 13? Where are you hoping to go to this September?

MAT is pretty tough, i underestimated it, if i had taken it seriously and revised i may have applied to oxford :s-smilie:. You are year 12 i take it, maths applicant i guess.
Yes I'm in year 13, I'd like to end up with an unconditional to warwick, I will be happy still to be going to UCL to do Maths as you may have guessed :P.
Yeah that's true, STEP could equally suck if you didn't like enough of the questions, but i know what you mean. If AEA were STEP we could have gotten away it would have been very nice, to not need to do all of the questions very well to get a distinction. I would have definitely avoided the last question for those sketching and integral ones :tongue:.
Original post by jarasta
MAT is pretty tough, i underestimated it, if i had taken it seriously and revised i may have applied to oxford :s-smilie:. You are year 12 i take it, maths applicant i guess.
Yes I'm in year 13, I'd like to end up with an unconditional to warwick, I will be happy still to be going to UCL to do Maths as you may have guessed :P.
Yeah that's true, STEP could equally suck if you didn't like enough of the questions, but i know what you mean. If AEA were STEP we could have gotten away it would have been very nice, to not need to do all of the questions very well to get a distinction. I would have definitely avoided the last question for those sketching and integral ones :tongue:.

Oh wow, Warwick! I hope to go somewhere as prestigious as that but it's probably unlikely by the looks of it.
I've only heard good things about UCL so far but they ask for module scores so I'm kind of torn between whether to apply or not. 15th August will give most of the answers to my questions to me. I'm going on the open day tomorrow though!
I didn't like the first integration one or the last question...or the series question.
I had a fever on that day too to worsen everything. I don't think how I did in those papers reflected how I'd do on a regular day when I'm not ill.
Original post by yl95
Oh wow, Warwick! I hope to go somewhere as prestigious as that but it's probably unlikely by the looks of it.
I've only heard good things about UCL so far but they ask for module scores so I'm kind of torn between whether to apply or not. 15th August will give most of the answers to my questions to me. I'm going on the open day tomorrow though!
I didn't like the first integration one or the last question...or the series question.
I had a fever on that day too to worsen everything. I don't think how I did in those papers reflected how I'd do on a regular day when I'm not ill.

Warwick isn't impossible as I only got AACU for my AS levels and still got the standard offer which I feel I have now been able to achieve so just keep it in mind really :smile:
Reply 214
Can someone post the paper? I've still not seen it...
Original post by shamika

I'll just go and get it now but I'll take a photo of each question separately so hopefully you can see them all clearly :smile:
Warwick isn't impossible as I only got AACU for my AS levels and still got the standard offer which I feel I have now been able to achieve so just keep it in mind really :smile:

Do you have extenuating circumstances?
Also, if I get anything less than AAAB/AABB in my ASes, Warwick will probably shun my application because most people get straight As at ASes at my school and 40 odd percent of A2 grades are A*s. :colondollar:
My dad taught someone who went to Warwick for maths for one year and then moved to UCL because he found Warwick boring...have you been there? I presume you have. How is it?
Reply 217
I'll just go and get it now but I'll take a photo of each question separately so hopefully you can see them all clearly :smile:

You did STEP I right? That was absolutely fine, thanks for that!
Original post by shamika

Here is the paper :smile: I hope you can read it all.

Spoiler

Reply 219
Original post by yl95
Do you have extenuating circumstances?
Also, if I get anything less than AAAB/AABB in my ASes, Warwick will probably shun my application because most people get straight As at ASes at my school and 40 odd percent of A2 grades are A*s. :colondollar:
My dad taught someone who went to Warwick for maths for one year and then moved to UCL because he found Warwick boring...have you been there? I presume you have. How is it?

you get an offer as long as you are predicted AAB atleast that's the warwick rule, obviously there are exceptions like the guy above. Yeah Warwick is a bit in the middle of nowhere and out there, I would probably enjoy UCL more, but I chose Warwick purely for the maths, I think I will enjoy that a lot and spend so much time on it, I won't have really need to go out, maths will be entertaining and something ****ing aggrivating enough to keep me busy. :biggrin:.
I would apply to UCL anyway, the admin guy is pretty chilled and understanding, if you were ill on exams you did poorly on he would understand, as long as you have a strong PS and decent AS UMS you will be fine with UCL.

Didn't like the last questions, the parts of the last questions I could do, I made silly mistakes on, like arithmetic errors and just blanking out and forgetting why I was doing the discriminant etc. I blame it on being tired, I haven't really been able to sleep prior my exams this exam season :frown:. Didn't like the series question last parts, I liked the first integral one, though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest