The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Not very convincing at the back again despite bringing Ilori in. He was actually quite poor after my high praise of him! There was nothing anyone could have done about their first goal though, cracking finish. Mica was very unlucky with that shot that hit the bar, that would have been a cracking goal too. At times these youngsters look good but then they switch off for a bit. On the plus side Bruma continues to impress.

Yeh, that match against Korea was one that they should have won, but like you said, they switched off again and let Korea back into the game.

Beaten Cuba today though, 5-0. Cuba are a poor side though, so it isn't saying much, but it was finally a good performance. Bruma was excellent in this match.. really looks like another gem of a player from the Sporting academy.

To Ze played well too.. much better than Andre Gomes, which is unfortunate, because I think Gomes should be one of the main players for Portugal (especially considering he played really high level games for Benfica) but it always looked like he doesn't care whenever he played.

Aladje has also come out of nowhere really.. looks like a really useful striker.
Anyone else been really disappointed with the French at the U20's World Cup so far? They have a lot of players with a lot of first team experience at this level and yet don't seem to be able to take advantage at all, Pogba in particular has been a big disappointment.
Reply 362
Original post by mojojojo101
Anyone else been really disappointed with the French at the U20's World Cup so far? They have a lot of players with a lot of first team experience at this level and yet don't seem to be able to take advantage at all, Pogba in particular has been a big disappointment.

Yep. Looking at their squad before the tournament, I would have made them the favourites by far.
Reply 363
Original post by mojojojo101

They seem to be playing with an cringeworthy amount of arrogance.
Original post by aa22
Yeh, that match against Korea was one that they should have won, but like you said, they switched off again and let Korea back into the game.

Beaten Cuba today though, 5-0. Cuba are a poor side though, so it isn't saying much, but it was finally a good performance. Bruma was excellent in this match.. really looks like another gem of a player from the Sporting academy.

To Ze played well too.. much better than Andre Gomes, which is unfortunate, because I think Gomes should be one of the main players for Portugal (especially considering he played really high level games for Benfica) but it always looked like he doesn't care whenever he played.

Aladje has also come out of nowhere really.. looks like a really useful striker.

I missed the Cuba match due to work, again. But yeah, i read that Bruma was brilliant again. I personally feel he really needs to stay with Sporting for now though. If he does stay and continues to perform the way he's currently performing i feel he could possibly be called up to the main Portugal squad very soon and could be a surprise inclusion IF we make it to Brazil.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see him subbed at HT against Korea though but it's good to see Tozé get some decent playing time. Nice for Tozé to grab a goal too but like you said i would have expected more from Andre Gomes because he is one of the more known players in this squad who has played first team football at a higher level than the rest.

Yes, he’s certainly come out of nowhere. Might get a bit more noticed in his club football next season though as he’ll be in Serie A. So it’ll certainly be easier to keep an eye for him.

I see that after 7 months of speculation Hector Herrera has finally signed for Porto. He has big boots to fill in the centre of that midfield though. Looks like Juan Fernando Quintero may be joining Porto too. Stories have certainly heated up in the past 24 hours about him coming to Porto... He could be a very interesting signing for us. I know we’ve lost James and Moutinho but with all these signings we’ve made thus far it’s made me not think about the big loss of those two and more that I’m excited to see how this team will work now with these new signings.

Diego Reyes
Tiago Rodrigues
Carlos Eduardo
Josué
Hector Herrera
Ricardo

I think i read that Tozé will be join the main squad, Iturbe will be back from River Plate, possibly Caballero will be in the first team too... We have some very interesting youngsters with this lot alone! We could possibly throw Kelvin into the mix too.
Not particularly fond of our new away kit...

Top.jpg

Never really understood having a home kit and an away kit the same colour. I know they are different styles but they're still both blue.
Reply 366
Iraq are turning out to be the cinderella story of the u20 tournament- game top of their tough group that included Egypt, England and Chile and now, they've made to to the QFs where they'll play S.Korea-a very winnable game for them.
Original post by 419
Iraq are turning out to be the cinderella story of the u20 tournament- game top of their tough group that included Egypt, England and Chile and now, they've made to to the QFs where they'll play S.Korea-a very winnable game for them.

Reminds me of 2004, when they finished fourth in the Olympics :smile:
Not particularly fond of our new away kit...

Top.jpg

Never really understood having a home kit and an away kit the same colour. I know they are different styles but they're still both blue.

I don't think its that bad haha I actually quite like it just the problem you said of it being the same colour :colondollar:
Eredivisie update: :sexface:

Lots of transfers have taken place so far all across the league, the biggest probably being the attacking midfielder Adam Maher (who has been tipped to be big in the future) has joined PSV from AZ. The fee is said to be around 8 million euros which could be a coup if he sells on for a lot more in a few years. Also they've signed Chelsea centre-back Jeffrey Bruma for 3 million Euros and Florian Josefzoon from RKC Waalwijk. However with Maher, Bruma and Josefzoon coming in, PSV have sold their main attackers Dries Mertens and Jeremain Lens to Napoli and Dinamo Kiev respectively, picking up big fees for them in the process, which may be used to further invest in the squad. In fact, one signing that could be possible is Stijn Schaars, who played for the Netherlands in the World Cup in 2010. PSV are definitely still trying to win the title after last year's disappointment despite spending big.

The likes of Ajax and Feyenoord have been relatively quiet, with fairly low key incomings and outgoings so far, but I believe Feyenoord are being linked with the likes of Bojan Krkic, as they need a back-up striker in case of injury to their big striker Graziano Pelle.

Vitesse are busy as they have sold Van Ginkel to Chelsea (to replace Frank Lampard I reckon), and Wilfried Bony should be next out the door. They really need to start spending in order to compete for the title and Europe, they've only signed Vejinovic from Heracles and Kelvin Leerdam from Feyenoord thus far.

Other teams noteworthy for their summer so far are Groningen and AZ. Groningen have been very busy, with the likes of Bacuna, Sparv and Van Dijk leaving for new challenges abroad, and some players in such as Eric Botteghin from NAC and Wijnaldum from AZ. Speaking of which, AZ seem to be busy themselves in re-establishing themselves as one of the top teams in Holland. They've signed Jan Wuytens from Utrecht on a free (who was excellent for Utrecht last season) and Joey Gouweleeuw for 1.5 million Euros from Heerenveen, two big centre-backs who are some of the best in the Eredivisie. Also they have purchased Nemanja Gudelj from NAC for 3 million Euros.

Finally, Dennis Rommedhal has joined the Dutch top flight, he's signed a contract with RKC Waalwijk! :awesome:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 370
Anelka to WBA..
Original post by aa22

I managed to catch the Portugal game from the 77th minute. Just in time to see Ghana score two. Terrible timing by me! Terrible defending by Portugal!

Original post by Malevolent
I don't think its that bad haha I actually quite like it just the problem you said of it being the same colour :colondollar:

I have to say it looks better on than it does in that picture. Steven Defour was pictured in it and it's not too bad. What about Sportings away top? I'm not too keen on that!

Sporting 13-14.jpg

Portuguese fixtures have just been released tonight. Final game of the season Benfica will travel to the Dragão. Obviously a long way off but potentially the Liga could be decided at the Dragão, again!
Reply 372
Original post by aa22
x

x

Thoughts on Tiago Ilori? Liverpool linked with him, we want to pay 6million max but they're asking for 12!?

Would he be ready to go into the first team, subs bench, first team squad etc, and is he destined for the top? How long before he's a regular starter for Liverpool?
Original post by boumavilla
Eredivisie update: :sexface:

Lots of transfers have taken place so far all across the league, the biggest probably being the attacking midfielder Adam Maher (who has been tipped to be big in the future) has joined PSV from AZ. The fee is said to be around 8 million euros which could be a coup if he sells on for a lot more in a few years. Also they've signed Chelsea centre-back Jeffrey Bruma for 3 million Euros and Florian Josefzoon from RKC Waalwijk. However with Maher, Bruma and Josefzoon coming in, PSV have sold their main attackers Dries Mertens and Jeremain Lens to Napoli and Dinamo Kiev respectively, picking up big fees for them in the process, which may be used to further invest in the squad. In fact, one signing that could be possible is Stijn Schaars, who played for the Netherlands in the World Cup in 2010. PSV are definitely still trying to win the title after last year's disappointment despite spending big.

The likes of Ajax and Feyenoord have been relatively quiet, with fairly low key incomings and outgoings so far, but I believe Feyenoord are being linked with the likes of Bojan Krkic, as they need a back-up striker in case of injury to their big striker Graziano Pelle.

Vitesse are busy as they have sold Van Ginkel to Chelsea (to replace Frank Lampard I reckon), and Wilfried Bony should be next out the door. They really need to start spending in order to compete for the title and Europe, they've only signed Vejinovic from Heracles and Kelvin Leerdam from Feyenoord thus far.
:

Ajax look pretty much sorted really, maybe they could use a striker. Also very surprised that PSV have got Maher which is big for them but not sure what they're doing rebuilding the squad so much. Think they'd have won it had they kept things stable but they'll still be there or there abouts. Feyenoord going absolutely nowhere.
Original post by Row Z
Thoughts on Tiago Ilori? Liverpool linked with him, we want to pay 6million max but they're asking for 12!?

Would he be ready to go into the first team, subs bench, first team squad etc, and is he destined for the top? How long before he's a regular starter for Liverpool?

I said this about him last week as Jam asked me about him and rather than type out something similar i'll just copy it...

He mainly started off for Sporting B this season but because the club is in a messy situation a few of these youngsters were given a chance by Jesualdo Ferreira in the second half of the season. Tiago Ilori is very quick, it's not often you see a CB that fast, he is good with his head which is what you want from a CB but he's also good with his feet too. He's still quite young though and i think the best thing for him is to stay at Sporting as he will get a lot more first team opportunities. This should help improve him to gain a bit more experience as sometimes you can tell he is a young defender. The problem for Sporting is they need money so every offer becomes rather tempting for them to accept.

Since saying this though he's played a couple of times for Portugal in the U20's and although i only managed to catch little bits here and there of the Portugal games he wasn't great, but then the Portugal defence as a whole were pretty poor. 12m is pretty steep but the more first team opportunities he gets i feel he will gain a lot greater experience. Personally i don't feel he is ready for the EPL as he does show he is quite an inexperienced player with some of the decisions he makes but like i said, i feel another season at Sporting where he knows he has a far greater chance at getting first team opportunities would do him some good.
Original post by Zürich
Ajax look pretty much sorted really, maybe they could use a striker. Also very surprised that PSV have got Maher which is big for them but not sure what they're doing rebuilding the squad so much. Think they'd have won it had they kept things stable but they'll still be there or there abouts. Feyenoord going absolutely nowhere.

Yeah Ajax do have a solid and steady enough squad, which may not be the most talented or expensive in the division, but under De Boer they have an excellent manager similar in some ways to Sir Alex. They will need to replace who they lose though and could do with an extra defender imo, even though they have some youth waiting to come through, they simply haven't played enough to become a starter for Ajax in a Champions League match for example. Van der Hoorn is being touted as a replacement for Alderweireld should he leave, 3 million Euros is the fee.

PSV do need to rebuild seeing as they couldn't keep their best players after scoring so many goals last season, plus their defence was shocking at times...Waterman, Marcelo and Derijck. :facepalm: So new players are needed for sure.

Feyenoord I think are just happy to be playing in Europe. Another season similar to last season plus some group stage Europa League football would satisfy most sensible Feyenoord fans.

What do you make of Vitesse? :holmes: They'll need to reinvest the 20 million or so they make from sales in order to challenge for anything.

Portuguese fixtures have just been released tonight. Final game of the season Benfica will travel to the Dragão. Obviously a long way off but potentially the Liga could be decided at the Dragão, again!

That league is fixed... How many seasons in a row has this happened?
Yeah Ajax do have a solid and steady enough squad, which may not be the most talented or expensive in the division, but under De Boer they have an excellent manager similar in some ways to Sir Alex. They will need to replace who they lose though and could do with an extra defender imo, even though they have some youth waiting to come through, they simply haven't played enough to become a starter for Ajax in a Champions League match for example. Van der Hoorn is being touted as a replacement for Alderweireld should he leave, 3 million Euros is the fee.

PSV do need to rebuild seeing as they couldn't keep their best players after scoring so many goals last season, plus their defence was shocking at times...Waterman, Marcelo and Derijck. :facepalm: So new players are needed for sure.

What do you make of Vitesse? :holmes: They'll need to reinvest the 20 million or so they make from sales in order to challenge for anything.

Vitesse are pretty sensible, dont think theyll go overboard with the signings but they need to replace Van Ginkel. Dont know if Vejinovic is that man tbh, havent watched much of him.

PSV need a new DM for sure with Van Bommel leaving plus probably a defender and at least 2 attackers. That's why I cant understand them selling all 3, they only needed to shore up the back to overtake Ajax imo now they need to rebuild everywhere. Guess the money was too good to turn down.

Ajax seem to be able to recover from losing players under De Boer much better than they were in the past. Eriksen will probably stay so it should be even easier this time. Selling Alderweireld would be a mistake as he's their only half competent defender atm Koppers might get in the team as he did alright at Den Haag last season. Up front theyll need Sigþorsson to step up because he'll be a fantastic player and hopefully Viktor Fisher too who is class.

I'd predict Ajax again to win it.
Original post by Zürich
Vitesse are pretty sensible, dont think theyll go overboard with the signings but they need to replace Van Ginkel. Dont know if Vejinovic is that man tbh, havent watched much of him.

PSV need a new DM for sure with Van Bommel leaving plus probably a defender and at least 2 attackers. That's why I cant understand them selling all 3, they only needed to shore up the back to overtake Ajax imo now they need to rebuild everywhere. Guess the money was too good to turn down.

Ajax seem to be able to recover from losing players under De Boer much better than they were in the past. Eriksen will probably stay so it should be even easier this time. Selling Alderweireld would be a mistake as he's their only half competent defender atm Koppers might get in the team as he did alright at Den Haag last season. Up front theyll need Sigþorsson to step up because he'll be a fantastic player and hopefully Viktor Fisher too who is class.

I'd predict Ajax again to win it.

Sensible? Or tight?
I know most Dutch teams aren't willing to spend money, but when the owner speaks of his ambition to win the title within a few years (that title winning year was last season), and all they get is Europa League football, you'd expect them to make perhaps a few class signings. For example, someone like Malki from the sinking ship that is Roda. Instead he's moved to Turkey for the money. :s-smilie:

I think Strootman, Hiljemark and Maher will be the 3 centre-mids next season, I think also that Wijnaldum will get a bigger run in the team behind the striker. Locadia and Depay should be introduced a lot more, but if Matavz leaves and Toivonen, they will need replacements.

You think Eriksen will stay?? :eek:
Shocked you think that, although I wouldn't be surprised. He'd need to sign a new contract though, he said he would if he couldn't leave this summer, as he's out of contract the following summer and he wants Ajax to be rewarded.
Moisander was a good signing last summer too. Alderweireld might have reason to leave, imo he's a great defender (Belgian what a surprise), and he'll want to be playing in the world cup...Van der Hoorn wouldn't be a bad player to replace him though. Koppers plays as a left-back though doesn't he?
Imagine that front line next season, a fit front 3 of an ever improving Fischer, Sigthorsson and Sana. :sogood: Danny Hoesen will bag some goals too...

I still think it's too early to make a prediction yet, but it's definitely between Ajax and PSV.
Sensible? Or tight?

You think Eriksen will stay?? :eek:
Shocked you think that, although I wouldn't be surprised. He'd need to sign a new contract though, he said he would if he couldn't leave this summer, as he's out of contract the following summer and he wants Ajax to be rewarded.
Moisander was a good signing last summer too. Alderweireld might have reason to leave, imo he's a great defender (Belgian what a surprise), and he'll want to be playing in the world cup...Van der Hoorn wouldn't be a bad player to replace him though. Koppers plays as a left-back though doesn't he?
Imagine that front line next season, a fit front 3 of an ever improving Fischer, Sigthorsson and Sana. :sogood: Danny Hoesen will bag some goals too...

I still think it's too early to make a prediction yet, but it's definitely between Ajax and PSV.

I think he'll sign a one year extension and leave next summer. He's in the best possible place to develop further and he's got plenty of Danes etc in Amsterdam. Dortmund would have been a good move but they're getting Mkhitaryan and looking around Europe, I cant see many of the bigger teams moving for him. If say Arsenal came in for him then I think he'd go but I cant see it really. As you say, he needs to renew or leave. but hes not the type to hold Ajax hostage so I'm sure DeBoer has agreed to sell to a top CL club if an offer comes in, but if not then Eriksen will renew for a year.

Viktor Fisher will be even better anyway :smile:

Alderweireld will probably start for Belgium either way so I dont think he's in any rush. Koopers is a LB so probably wont get ahead of Blind come to think of it, but he's a good player if/when Blind moves on.

Sigthorsson excites me, he could get 20 easily next season.

Quick Reply

Latest