The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
guys , has anyone else here started their Personal Statement yet ?

I've started planning it but I'm not actually writing it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else here submitted their RES essay yet?

I just submitted mine and instantly realised I had spelled my county name incorrectly, so hopefully the judges won't look down on it as a result...
Original post by robin1125
Anyone else here submitted their RES essay yet?

I just submitted mine and instantly realised I had spelled my county name incorrectly, so hopefully the judges won't look down on it as a result...

Nope, I plan to send it in tomorrow. I've finished it but I just want to reread it again and again to ensure that there's no mistakes. Tbh though, I doubt I'll get highly commended let alone shortlisted as the competition is so fierce.
Original post by Epic Flawless
Nope, I plan to send it in tomorrow. I've finished it but I just want to reread it again and again to ensure that there's no mistakes. Tbh though, I doubt I'll get highly commended let alone shortlisted as the competition is so fierce.

Same here, my economics teacher was saying I was in with a chance having read my essay, but to be honest I really doubt I will get anything out of it!
Which books have people read on Game Theory? I am interested in it but there are so many books on the subject to choose from...
Original post by robin1125
Same here, my economics teacher was saying I was in with a chance having read my essay, but to be honest I really doubt I will get anything out of it!

Yea, we've just got to hope for the best really but even if worst comes to worst, it's good practice for uni essays and it's something o mention on our PS/at an interview.

Original post by Anonymous1717
Which books have people read on Game Theory? I am interested in it but there are so many books on the subject to choose from...

Have you tried the Art of strategy by Dixit and Nalebuff? I'm reading it ATM and it's really insightful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Did anyone go UCL open day yesterday?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Did anyone go UCL open day yesterday?

Yeah, I thought it was great, I'm definitely applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus

Posted from TSR Mobile

The talk was good and I liked the analogies made between the map and the mountains, and someone who always asks questions. What time was you there at?
Have you tried the Art of strategy by Dixit and Nalebuff? I'm reading it ATM and it's really insightful.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just flicked through the first few pages on Amazon and it seems interesting.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
The talk was good and I liked the analogies made between the map and the mountains, and someone who always asks questions. What time was you there at?

I was in the economics talk at 11, and yeah I found it really interesting! It sounds like so much emphasis goes on the personal statement there as he talked about it for about half the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
What sort of stuff are you guys including in your personal statements about the why you picked the course and what you find interesting about it etc? Obviously I don't mean stuff exclusive to you! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've missed all the open days so I'd be grateful if you could sum up the best points? :colondollar: How's the mathematical content? And did they put a huge emphasis on the personal statement?
Reply 273
The thing about personal statements is that most people are going to have very good personal statements. A personal statement can only be so good. Also lots of people essentially have their personal statements written for them or just straight up lie in terms of work experience/what they've read/things they've done. There is no way for universities that don't ask for interviews to check up on this as everyone is pretty much writing it.

This is why I believe that personal statements (and references to an extent) are no where near as important as people make them out to be. Sure they are good for showing interest in the subject and that you actually want to go for that degree, but there is no way they are anywhere near as important as hard evidence such as grades.
Reply 274
Original post by NedStark
http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/2013-royal-economic-society-essay-competition#extended

Can someone help me here?

The deadline is apparently midnight Sunday 30th June. Now does this mean the midnight between Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday?

I plan to submit mine tonight - I really hope it goes down well as I've spent so much time on it :smile:
Original post by Giant
The thing about personal statements is that most people are going to have very good personal statements. A personal statement can only be so good. Also lots of people essentially have their personal statements written for them or just straight up lie in terms of work experience/what they've read/things they've done. There is no way for universities that don't ask for interviews to check up on this as everyone is pretty much writing it.

This is why I believe that personal statements (and references to an extent) are no where near as important as people make them out to be. Sure they are good for showing interest in the subject and that you actually want to go for that degree, but there is no way they are anywhere near as important as hard evidence such as grades.

Yeah grades a good but a lot of people are getting top grades as well so most applicants are the same in that respect. The personal statement can be full of lies but lying about all the things an applicant has done doesn't guarantee it'll be a good statement either. I wish more universities interviewed for Economics.

Original post by Giant
I plan to submit mine tonight - I really hope it goes down well as I've spent so much time on it :smile:

Submitted mine tonight, proud of what I've done but competition is crazy. There's 116 schools that have submitted essays, and god knows how many from each.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've started planning it but I'm not actually writing it yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh right haha - i've written the thing , but it's like 6000 characters long... :tongue: what sort of stuff have people gone for in their PS ?
Reply 277
Original post by NedStark

Submitted mine tonight, proud of what I've done but competition is crazy. There's 116 schools that have submitted essays, and god knows how many from each.

116!? How do you know?

And I submitted mine finally, I refuse to look at it for fear of any stupid grammatical/spelling errors :P
Original post by Giant
116!? How do you know?

And I submitted mine finally, I refuse to look at it for fear of any stupid grammatical/spelling errors :P

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/res-essay-competition-entries-from-schools-and-colleges

And that's not all as I haven't submitted mine and my school isn't even on there yet.
Reply 279
I thought only 800 ish entered last years competition?! o.O What titles did you guys pick for the essay? =D Mines pretty shoddy i must say haha

Quick Reply

Latest