The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Subcutaneous
Can't believe how much they've grown!! How much everyone's grown.

Moving out soon with the other half, living at his till we get a place and he's started suggesting getting an extra bedroom as a nursery. Think he might be joking but not sure..! We're both in line for promotions at work at the moment (I'm considering a band 6/junior sister post available in the next 6 months) and it feels like the next year we may be financially in the right place.

However I'm in the camp you can't financially prepare for children- or prepare at all, he seems to think you can...views?

I think you absolutely can prepare! I think moving into a flat/house with a spare bedroom is a good idea if you know you want children in the near future, and there's nothing wrong with putting a bit of cash aside. It doesn't necessarily have to be "baby cash" just "future cash".. if that makes sense. I've saved quite a lot of money as my partner and I are hoping to start a family soon, and I know that I don't want to be struggling so in my mind it makes sense to save up now.

In the next two years I hope to be living in a 2 bedroom flat, mortgage free, with at least £5,000 saved up alongside wages to cover outgoings. And I feel I'd be in a much better position doing this than would be if I was still living in a rented flat using over half of my wages on rent alone, with no savings, still living hand to mouth. So yes I think it's a great idea to plan ahead financially!
Argh so many things to think about. Does anyone know about the split maternity leave aswell? I really like the idea that I can spend some months at home, and then so can OH. When does it come in? In my head I'm thinking 2016...
no idea about the split maternity leave sorry hun x

Ladies I'm fed up. Why do I always have to go overdue? *feels sorry for self*

another couple of hours and I'll be 40+2

I'm aching and I'm sweating and I'm exhausted. I've had ENOUGH.

I've spent 3 years 10 weeks and 2 days of my life being pregnant so far. I DON'T WANNA BE PREGNANT ANY MORE *cries*
Any young teen mummies on here xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

I've spent 3 years 10 weeks and 2 days of my life being pregnant so far. I DON'T WANNA BE PREGNANT ANY MORE *cries*

Sympathy. I was feeling fed up of being pregnant for the first time at the 30-something weeks too swollen & hot in May. Are you trying all the old wives tales about ways to bring it on? :tongue:

So, I fully expected to go overdue but then she came early at 37+4! :love:
Not sure why early - waters went first then spontaneous labour started a few hours later. Reasonable weight for that gestation 7lb 2oz, so perhaps she was just cooked? (My LMP due date was earlier than the dating scan though...) But hope any future siblings wouldn't be any earlier..! Photo with announcement in my usual stomping ground thread if people are interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=958267&page=106&p=42735826#post42735826

We're settling into a bit of a routine... if anyone has suggestions for reflux / colic they would be welcome though! Feels like we've tried everything (well, not every prescription medication yet) & horrible to see her look like she's in pain.
Reply 1025
Original post by Anonymous
Sympathy. I was feeling fed up of being pregnant for the first time at the 30-something weeks too swollen & hot in May. Are you trying all the old wives tales about ways to bring it on? :tongue:

So, I fully expected to go overdue but then she came early at 37+4! :love:
Not sure why early - waters went first then spontaneous labour started a few hours later. Reasonable weight for that gestation 7lb 2oz, so perhaps she was just cooked? (My LMP due date was earlier than the dating scan though...) But hope any future siblings wouldn't be any earlier..! Photo with announcement in my usual stomping ground thread if people are interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=958267&page=106&p=42735826#post42735826

We're settling into a bit of a routine... if anyone has suggestions for reflux / colic they would be welcome though! Feels like we've tried everything (well, not every prescription medication yet) & horrible to see her look like she's in pain.

Grr, auto-Anon failure again. :facepalm:

On the preparing-for-a-baby note we were quite traditional I suppose - got married, bought a house with space & then started trying. No specific 'saving for a baby' but we're savers generally & luckily my work maternity pay (when payroll fix their errors :rolleyes: ) is fairly generous.
no idea about the split maternity leave sorry hun x

Any sign of the little one yet?
nope. Nil, zip, nilch, nada.

40 + 3 now

I suppose it was to be expected.

My first was induced at T + 14 and born at T + 18
My second was induced at T + 14 and born at T + 15
My third - waters broke at T + 9, but then there was no progression so I had to be put on the drip anyway and he was born at T + 10

so I kinda have an overdue track record.

But FML I'm so fed up of being pregnant!
Original post by Elles

On the preparing-for-a-baby note we were quite traditional I suppose - got married, bought a house with space & then started trying. No specific 'saving for a baby' but we're savers generally & luckily my work maternity pay (when payroll fix their errors :rolleyes: ) is fairly generous.

Congrats, your baby is so gorgeous! :smile:

PMP: Not long to go!!!! :smile: xxx
Original post by Elles

Congratulations!. Your daughter is beautiful :smile:
Original post by Elles

congratulations on your lovely daughter x
Little bit scary that my girls are 6 and 4 this year. When did that happen! :frown:
Original post by balloon_parade
Little bit scary that my girls are 6 and 4 this year. When did that happen! :frown:

Wow they are growing up fast!

My oldest is 17 in September and off to 6th form, second son is 15 just before Christmas :eek:
PMP is awfully quiet on FB today! I wonder if today is the day!
Original post by balloon_parade
PMP is awfully quiet on FB today! I wonder if today is the day!

How exciting :biggrin:
ooh exciting I wonder that too.

Oh hang on....

nope

lol

Xxx

9 days overdue now. And I've hit a total of 4 stone weight gain. UGH
ooh exciting I wonder that too.

Oh hang on....

nope

lol

Xxx

9 days overdue now. And I've hit a total of 4 stone weight gain. UGH

Good luck xxx

My Husband and I decided that we will try having children by the end of the summer. We both feel that this is the right decision in every respect :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
Good luck xxx

My Husband and I decided that we will trying having children by the end of the summer. We both feel that this is the right decision in every respect :smile:

That's really exciting! I don't know if it's appropriate to say "congratulations on almost trying" but I shall say it anyway!! :P.
Original post by meenu89
Good luck xxx

My Husband and I decided that we will try having children by the end of the summer. We both feel that this is the right decision in every respect :smile:

Congratulations :smile:
Original post by Annie72
Congratulations :smile:

Thank you. From your posts it sounds like you're a wonderful mother and hopefully I will be too.

Original post by Anonymous
That's really exciting! I don't know if it's appropriate to say "congratulations on almost trying" but I shall say it anyway!! :P.

Wish you weren't anon so I could rep you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest