The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Hey everyone, 2d year economist at Cambridge here - would love to help anyone if there are any questions :smile: TSR was such a big help for me
Reply 281
Original post by Nadine10
Hey everyone, 2d year economist at Cambridge here - would love to help anyone if there are any questions :smile: TSR was such a big help for me

Hey - is there anyone you know of that got an offer applying POST A-level?
Reply 282
Original post by CD315
Hey - is there anyone you know of that got an offer applying POST A-level?

No sorry, I actually don't know anyone for economics that did :/ but since quite a few people are starting to take gap years now its becoming more common.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what were your GCSEs and AS scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Original post by Bloxorus
If you wouldn't mind sharing, what were your GCSEs and AS scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, GCSE:

A* - Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, History, ICT, Economics, French

A-Level:

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A
Physics - A*
Economics - A
French - A
AS History - A
EPQ - A
No problem, GCSE:

A* - Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, History, ICT, Economics, French

A-Level:

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A
Physics - A*
Economics - A
French - A
AS History - A
EPQ - A

Could you tell us your UMS scores that you applied with?
Reply 286
Original post by NedStark
Could you tell us your UMS scores that you applied with?

Oh my i dont know if i can remember :P ummm okay approximately the averages where:

Maths (already had the A*) - 93
Physics - 99
Economics - 90
History - 83 (I just did AS for this)

Thats really what i can remember, sorry! But i know that the overall average was like 93-94
Oh my i dont know if i can remember :P ummm okay approximately the averages where:

Maths (already had the A*) - 93
Physics - 99
Economics - 90
History - 83 (I just did AS for this)

Thats really what i can remember, sorry! But i know that the overall average was like 93-94

Congrats on your results, they look impressive. And sorry haha I should have known, it was a while back so must have been difficult to remember!:smile:
Reply 288
x

Could you say a bit about the course itself? i.e. how theoretical it is, how much maths there is, how hard the maths is (compared to A levels). Also how many hours a week you spent working on average and could you possibly discuss a typical supervision assignment?

:smile:

I'm actually an offer holder btw
Reply 289
Original post by amg_22
Could you say a bit about the course itself? i.e. how theoretical it is, how much maths there is, how hard the maths is (compared to A levels). Also how many hours a week you spent working on average and could you possibly discuss a typical supervision assignment?

:smile:

I'm actually an offer holder btw

Congrats on your offer! :smile:

Basically the course in 1st year is split into 5 parts:
1. Micro
2. Macro
3. Maths&Stats
4. Politics, Development, Regulation of Employment
5. Economic History

So maths is directly 1/5 of your course but you have to use it in macro and micro too. Its not as hard as some of the stuff I learnt in Further Maths, but the context of the questions i.e. because it is for economics, makes it very challenging sometimes. It's the module I struggled with the most this past year.

On average, including lecture time, I work about 7 hours everyday 7 days a week. Some people condense it and work more each day but take a day off each week, etc.

For each supervision depending on for which module, I either get an essay (4 and 5) , a work sheet (1 and 2) or a problem sheet (3). I would say that for the essays and work sheets I could spend up to 12 hours (but obviously sometimes less). Each week you will get one essay, one work sheet and one problem sheet.

Of course the work load will depend on which college you are at - I am at Caius. Hope this helps :smile:

1. Micro
2. Macro
3. Maths&Stats
5. Economic History

So maths is directly 1/5 of your course but you have to use it in macro and micro too. Its not as hard as some of the stuff I learnt in Further Maths, but the context of the questions i.e. because it is for economics, makes it very challenging sometimes. It's the module I struggled with the most this past year.

On average, including lecture time, I work about 7 hours everyday 7 days a week. Some people condense it and work more each day but take a day off each week, etc.

For each supervision depending on for which module, I either get an essay (4 and 5) , a work sheet (1 and 2) or a problem sheet (3). I would say that for the essays and work sheets I could spend up to 12 hours (but obviously sometimes less). Each week you will get one essay, one work sheet and one problem sheet.

Of course the work load will depend on which college you are at - I am at Caius. Hope this helps :smile:

Wow that seems like the amount of work i do during exam time. Working that hard all year round is going to be tough (if i even get an offer) but i guess its all worth it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 291

1. Micro
2. Macro
3. Maths&Stats
5. Economic History

What kind of stuff is in the Economic History? :smile: Also any tips on writing a solid PS?
Reply 292
Original post by kiirankapoor
Wow that seems like the amount of work i do during exam time. Working that hard all year round is going to be tough (if i even get an offer) but i guess its all worth it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah dont worry you get use to it and adjust - its a bit of an adjustment for everyone at first so don't worry everyone is in the same boat :smile:
Reply 293
Original post by Smko
What kind of stuff is in the Economic History? :smile: Also any tips on writing a solid PS?

You basically look at the Industrial Revolution, Late Victorian Ear and Interwar period of Britain and analyse why the economy grew the way it did, looking at theories, articles, books, etc.

And for a ps, I honestly don't know because I am not an admission tutor :tongue: but i would say that Oxbridge care less about extracurricular than other unis, but its still worth a mention. Just show that you are interested in the subject, you have read books beyond the level of just y13 textbooks and that you are a very capable individual.
Yeah dont worry you get use to it and adjust - its a bit of an adjustment for everyone at first so don't worry everyone is in the same boat :smile:

What were your other 4 UCAS choices? And which ones did your honestly expect to receive offers from? :smile:
Reply 295
You basically look at the Industrial Revolution, Late Victorian Ear and Interwar period of Britain and analyse why the economy grew the way it did, looking at theories, articles, books, etc.

And for a ps, I honestly don't know because I am not an admission tutor :tongue: but i would say that Oxbridge care less about extracurricular than other unis, but its still worth a mention. Just show that you are interested in the subject, you have read books beyond the level of just y13 textbooks and that you are a very capable individual.

Sounds interesting! + what kind of books did you read? SOrry for al the Questions!
Reply 296
What were your other 4 UCAS choices? And which ones did your honestly expect to receive offers from? :smile:

My other choices were LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol and got offers from all of them - do you mean which I was expecting to get offers from when i applied?
Reply 297
Original post by Smko
Sounds interesting! + what kind of books did you read? SOrry for al the Questions!

Haha its okay dw - for books we don't read entire books but simply relevant sections. The main economic historians are Allen, Mokyr, Wrigley, Broadberry, Crafts, McCloskey, and many others. I can't remember all of it now, but the website has a reading list for 1st years that has all the main books/textbooks we use :smile:
My other choices were LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol and got offers from all of them - do you mean which I was expecting to get offers from when i applied?

Yeah before you applied which ones did you expect?
Reply 299
Yeah before you applied which ones did you expect?

Um I expected Bristol because their requirement band was A*AA-ABB and I had A*A*A*A (lol although i didnt get that :P ) and perhaps Warwick and UCL, but I didn't want to get too hopeful for LSE and especially not for Cambridge because you never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending