The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3460
Original post by avhhs
Hey, glad you had a good time jogging :smile:

I have applied for a few jobs but I'm always unsuccessful, and that always makes me feel worthless :sad:. I definitely need exercise but I'm not sure where to start, although my dad has suggested that both of us go to the gym. Let's hope he actually does that, although TBH I've never really liked the gym. I do need to improve my fitness though. I'd love to watch some tv but I quickly lose interest, and I always feel really tired. Currently listening to some music.

I guess I've not reacted to things in a good way? :dontknow: Don't think it will be easy to improve the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone spoken to you about talking therapies? Specifically thinking about CBT - the thing about feeling worthless if you don't get a job really sounds like something that could be helped by that.

I don't think it's about good and bad - they all sound like judgments about your personal strength or whatever. Makes me feel a bit better to think about what is helpful to me and what is unhelpful. For example, if I have an argument with my family then it is unhelpful for me to react by blaming myself and helpful for me to react by thinking "arguments happen, and we manage to move past them". Whilst we can't directly choose our thought processes (would be good if we could!) changing our actions can really influence them. For example, after having an argument with my family I might go for a run. It feels like an active, healthy way to cope, and makes me feel stronger. Less helpful ways to react include SH or binge-eating, both of which make me feel weaker and more to blame for the situation. So you can definitely influence the way you cognitively react to situations, and just because that hasn't been too helpful in the past doesn't mean that you can't improve it now.

Original post by Anonymous
Jealous, well done!!!!!

Thanks! :h: I think it's the furthest I've been outside, at least in the past year or so, so I'm pretty proud/pleased with it. Feels like an achievement. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3461
Original post by avhhs
Hope they taste great :smile:

Original post by superwolf
Too many brownies? Oh no! :awesome:

I get the feeling that maybe turning down the toastie my brother offered me earlier was a good thing, more brownie room. Somehow I will force myself to eat them. The tidying up on the other hand may have to wait...

Original post by avhhs
Hey, glad you had a good time jogging :smile:

I have applied for a few jobs but I'm always unsuccessful, and that always makes me feel worthless :sad:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that feeling, I don't know how many jobs I've applied for in the last month. It does feel horrible when they don't even get back to you. I find it helps to remember that tons of people are applying for the same jobs, some websites tell you how many people have applied so when it's 70/80 for one job it's nice to know that 78 other people will also be turned down and it doesn't mean that you're worse than any of them.
Reply 3462
Original post by asdfgah
Has anyone spoken to you about talking therapies? Specifically thinking about CBT - the thing about feeling worthless if you don't get a job really sounds like something that could be helped by that.

I don't think it's about good and bad - they all sound like judgments about your personal strength or whatever. Makes me feel a bit better to think about what is helpful to me and what is unhelpful. For example, if I have an argument with my family then it is unhelpful for me to react by blaming myself and helpful for me to react by thinking "arguments happen, and we manage to move past them". Whilst we can't directly choose our thought processes (would be good if we could!) changing our actions can really influence them. For example, after having an argument with my family I might go for a run. It feels like an active, healthy way to cope, and makes me feel stronger. Less helpful ways to react include SH or binge-eating, both of which make me feel weaker and more to blame for the situation. So you can definitely influence the way you cognitively react to situations, and just because that hasn't been too helpful in the past doesn't mean that you can't improve it now.

I did start sort of start CBT but it got put off before properly starting it due to exams. Next session on 4 July so not long left.

I have a lot of problem staying positive because of what has happened, but I guess your way of thinking helps :yep: just need to remember it :tongue:

Original post by VaVe

I know that feeling, I don't know how many jobs I've applied for in the last month. It does feel horrible when they don't even get back to you. I find it helps to remember that tons of people are applying for the same jobs, some websites tell you how many people have applied so when it's 70/80 for one job it's nice to know that 78 other people will also be turned down and it doesn't mean that you're worse than any of them.

I guess that is true :smile: I don't apply often these days because I can't concentrate on the application or can't be bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zonkfrog
Hey people :smile:
Thought i'd come say Hi.
Looking forward to jumping into some random chat with you guys.

Heya! Welcome to the society!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi guys,

i was wondering if you could help me a bit - i have been suffering from speech anxiety for a few years and left university after one year in 2011, then i changed to another uni and was there for roughly one month before leaving in order to tackle my mental health issues, i am currently on anti depressants too. as part of my recovery i have been building up confidence and am now close to being ready to go to uni next year.

now i have been told in the past that i will only be allowed 2 years student finance, but i was wondering if there is a chance that student finance would take in to account that i left for mental health reasons, and not withdraw my funding for the first year.

also, i'm from wales, worst case scenario would i be charged the full £9000 for tuition fees or the reduced welsh rate of £3550?

thanks

Your situation is a bit complicated and its best to email student finance (crap as they are) I THINK that you can apply to have a year discounted on medical grounds if you have medical evidence from the period in question but you'll have to check. If you are Welsh then I think you apply through the Welsh system. Your assembly pays the difference between the fee charged and the cap in place and you pay the rest of £3550. So all Welsh students can go anywhere and qualify for the lower rate whatever the fees being charged. Again, you need to check, but that's my understanding.

What about the OU? If you passed any modules in your first year or passed the year then these can be credited by the OU and reduce the number of modules you need to gain to get a degree with them. ie. You may have up to 120 credits already towards the 360 needed for a degree. You can borrow some of the remainder of the fees in the normal fashion and then be left with part to pay yourself. There is no maintenance available. They are a helpful organisation so you could write to them to. Don't forget to apply for Disabled Student's allowance too so you can get help. It also allows you to work at your own pace and you get a tutor who is usually very helpful.

The third option if your funding isn't solvable is to do a three year degree which is funded by the NHS bursary scheme as it doesn't matter what you have done before, even if you had a full first degree you would qualify for funding and maintenance. This depends on your interests and so forth. For example they are often desperate for radiologists if you have that kind of A level profile. There are other careers.

Good luck,

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3465
Really crisis-y tonight. I'm not ok. I don't want to say too much because I will work myself up again but I found out my mum is seeing someone and I am extremely angry which has caused me to panic really badly and make my boyfriend angry with worry. I'm feeling sick and am having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions which is not helping. Not in labour but feel extremely vulnerable.
Well I felt rather targeted at dinner today :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HmMusic
Really crisis-y tonight. I'm not ok. I don't want to say too much because I will work myself up again but I found out my mum is seeing someone and I am extremely angry which has caused me to panic really badly and make my boyfriend angry with worry. I'm feeling sick and am having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions which is not helping. Not in labour but feel extremely vulnerable.

Then let me distract you, what's the last book you read?
I SAW TWO SPICE GIRLS :eek3: :king1: :yay: :woo: :crazy: :danceboy:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I SAW TWO SPICE GIRLS :eek3: :king1: :yay: :woo: :crazy: :danceboy:

Aren't they well old by now?

Spoiler

Original post by SciFiRory

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3472
Well that wasn't a good start. I've been up for over an hour and in that time I've managed to make myself feel bad after I saw a pic of the girl I like :rolleyes: :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3473
Last night was possibly the single worst night I have had in at least a year, if not longer. I feel utterly, utterly stupid. This morning I have woken up feeling extremely anxious about the fact that I have to see my mum today and there is no way I can avoid it because she is the only person that can help me with my hospital bag. I can't put everything that happened last night into words, because it will make me lose control again. It was the worst night I've had, and my boyfriend was so unhelpful. I am so angry and alone and don't know why I'm reacting like I am. I need to see someone urgently but I don't know who or what I'm supposed to do to get help.
Original post by danny111
Aren't they well old by now?

Sssssshhh! :hmmm:

Geri turns 40 in August. Or possibly 41. I can't remember :ninja: It was the youngest two who turned up, anyway :yes:
Reply 3475
I'm finally out of bed now :ninja: Which is stupid considering I was up as early as 5am, before spending nearly 2 hours awake and then sleeping on-and-off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
I'm finally out of bed now :ninja: Which is stupid considering I was up as early as 5am, before spending nearly 2 hours awake and then sleeping on-and-off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting out of bed is overrated, imho :yep:

:ninja:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sssssshhh! :hmmm:

Geri turns 40 in August. Or possibly 41. I can't remember :ninja: It was the youngest two who turned up, anyway :yes:

Oh, you mistake, they're still hot. Just old. And who is that, Emma and?
Oh, you mistake, they're still hot. Just old. And who is that, Emma and?

Mel C :love:
Reply 3479
Original post by superwolf
Welcome to the society. :smile:

Please tell me you made the outfit yourself, and that it involves a metric ton of papier mache. :tongue: My flatmate made the most amazing shark costume once...

:lol: I'm not that brave/motivated! :ninja: It was a £20 from amazon job - I wanted a Bananas in Pyjamas suit but they were £50 :sad:

Original post by HmMusic
I hope so. I've had heartburn for 4 days now, and everything I've seen online says to consult my midwife before I take anything for it, but now I can't consult my midwife for another few days. I have her number but she didn't reply to my last text so I'm not sure what to do. At least we have our new fridge freezer now and my bf didn't make me do anything too strenuous with it today.

Really sorry to hear about last night hun :hugs: Hope you're feeling a bit better today at least :hugs:

Latest