The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3040
Original post by I'mtiredofyou
I suppose so. Although I signed up to a great education, not traditional nonsense. Unfortunately, it is a cross I will have to bear. :redface:

The two go hand in hand here :tongue:
Original post by Natalie21
Have any medicine offer holders been sent any reading lists/ worksheets?

Don't buy anything before you come up. There'll be second hand book sales early in term, and all the major book shops in Cambridge will have discounts. Also, as most the medical books are quite hefty (and expensive!) it's usually worth using library copies for the first few weeks until you've worked out which ones you like.

I'mtiredofyou
I suppose so. Although I signed up to a great education, not traditional nonsense. Unfortunately, it is a cross I will have to bear.

You probably will be even less impressed to hear that almost the entire graduation ceremony is in Latin, then. :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Don't buy anything before you come up. There'll be second hand book sales early in term, and all the major book shops in Cambridge will have discounts. Also, as most the medical books are quite hefty (and expensive!) it's usually worth using library copies for the first few weeks until you've worked out which ones you like.

You probably will be even less impressed to hear that almost the entire graduation ceremony is in Latin, then. :p:

Don't worry I won't! My mum asked our tour guide on the open day how much he spent on books and he said nothing as he got them all from the library, so now my mum is adamant I don't need to buy any/ many!
Original post by Helenia

Of course not, Latin is a language I wish to learn some day. :h:
Reply 3044
Original post by LShirley95
You only get 5 full solutions DJ? :tongue:

Original post by DJMayes
Don't worry, STEP III has destroyed us all.

Original post by DJMayes
3 full, 3 solid partials.

Well it certainly beats my 6 partial-partials...
Have any medicine offer holders been sent any reading lists/ worksheets?

I was sent a list of topics that they expect me know as prior knowledge before I arrive, no worksheets though
Original post by Hopefulmedstudent
I was sent a list of topics that they expect me know as prior knowledge before I arrive, no worksheets though

Oh yes I've seen that basic concepts sheet on the website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocoholic_x
Aha, good decision to stop and start from the beginning then. I suppose you got into it through the TV series as well then? :h: I just couldn't wait another year until the next series came out and my friends had been pressurising me to read the books for ages, so I was actually really excited about finishing my exams primarily because I could start reading them. Not the usual reason you'd associate with wanting the exam season to end. XD

Actually my friends have been persuading me to read them too, for almost a year now and I stupidly decided to start at the end of May :rolleyes: I know what you mean though, it gave me something to look forward too aswell! :smile: I'll probably watch the series once I'm done reading, it will definitely get confusing if I do it side by side!
Would now be a bad time to mention that the music reading list basically says "listen to Spotify a lot"?

:banana2:
What do we have to do on results day if we don't get the grades? Really worried about the a* :frown:
Reply 3050
Original post by Helenia

I hope it's not too awfully mispronounced.

Because, with all due respect, the English pronunciation of Latin... well... it's just not the same kind of sound.
Reply 3051
Original post by nat.2013
What do we have to do on results day if we don't get the grades? Really worried about the a* :frown:

Don't worry you're not the only one, I am too! What is your offer for? :smile:

And I'm under the assumption that you've got an insurance offer? In which case you'd have to go to that one instead. Or you could try and ring up your college on the day and see if they'll still accept you; although I'm not sure how that would pan out... :confused:

My future college (hopefully!), Christ's sent me an e-mail with a document explaining how if you fax your UMS sheets etc etc and call them up, they will discuss it with you, depending on how far you missed it by! Also you could potentially go in the August pool, but I'm not sure how successful that really is!

Perhaps e-mail your college about their protocols?
Original post by sam1w2e
Don't worry you're not the only one, I am too! What is your offer for? :smile:

And I'm under the assumption that you've got an insurance offer? In which case you'd have to go to that one instead. Or you could try and ring up your college on the day and see if they'll still accept you; although I'm not sure how that would pan out... :confused:

I've got an offer for geography at Selwyn :smile: how about you? The idea of going to my insurance really fills me with dread haha! It's Manchester and I do like it but I've got my heart so set on Cambridge, and I think everyone sort of expects that you'll get the grades. I'm not too sure what I'd do if it comes to that! What's your insurance?

My future college (hopefully!), Christ's sent me an e-mail with a document explaining how if you fax your UMS sheets etc etc and call them up, they will discuss it with you, depending on how far you missed it by! Also you could potentially go in the August pool, but I'm not sure how successful that really is!

Perhaps e-mail your college about their protocols?

Perfect! Thanks so much. What are you hoping to read?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3054
I've got an offer for geography at Selwyn :smile: how about you? The idea of going to my insurance really fills me with dread haha! It's Manchester and I do like it but I've got my heart so set on Cambridge, and I think everyone sort of expects that you'll get the grades. I'm not too sure what I'd do if it comes to that! What's your insurance?

I've got an offer for Chemical Engineering at Sidney Sussex :smile: Oh god I'm exactly the same, I'd hate it if I had to go to my insurance, as nice as it is (mines Loughborough) :redface: I take it your offer is A*AA or something similar and can your A* be in anything or a specific subject?
Original post by fowlerbean
Actually my friends have been persuading me to read them too, for almost a year now and I stupidly decided to start at the end of May :rolleyes: I know what you mean though, it gave me something to look forward too aswell! :smile: I'll probably watch the series once I'm done reading, it will definitely get confusing if I do it side by side!

Ah good plan, the series is excellent. Probably not as good as the books, or so I've been told. Also, having started reading today and already a quarter of the way through :colondollar: I think I prefer the books, there's so much more detail. Do you have any favourite characters? :tongue:

Also, on a more Cambridge-related note, I don't think I asked you your college and subject? :smile:

You're welcome! Hopefully it won't come to that though! Medicine at Christ's! I see you're going to read Geography, I actually took Geography for A2 and for a while was considering doing it at uni!
Original post by Elcano
I hope it's not too awfully mispronounced.

Because, with all due respect, the English pronunciation of Latin... well... it's just not the same kind of sound.

Very variable, depending on each Praelector and whoever's conferring the degrees - some of them are obviously more comfortable than others. It is mostly pronounced in the English way rather than Italian.
Original post by chocoholic_x
Ah good plan, the series is excellent. Probably not as good as the books, or so I've been told. Also, having started reading today and already a quarter of the way through :colondollar: I think I prefer the books, there's so much more detail. Do you have any favourite characters? :tongue:

Also, on a more Cambridge-related note, I don't think I asked you your college and subject? :smile:

I've heard great things about the series too, but they cut out some characters from later books apparently? :s-smilie: You're right there though! The description of everything is so vivid! I really liked Arya when I was reading :tongue: how about you?

Haha yes, I applied for Physical NatSci at Magdalene, what about you? :smile:
Original post by fowlerbean
I've heard great things about the series too, but they cut out some characters from later books apparently? :s-smilie: You're right there though! The description of everything is so vivid! I really liked Arya when I was reading :tongue: how about you?

Haha yes, I applied for Physical NatSci at Magdalene, what about you? :smile:

Oh dear, I suppose they may have thought that having even more characters on top of the huge cast list would be too many for the American audience to handle. :tongue: Slight xenophobic comments aside, it's good to hear I have more characters to look forward to meeting in the books. Oh yes, I do love Arya. I have four favourites, from watching the show. :colondollar: They are: Tyrion, Varys, Littlefinger and Arya.

Ah awesome, I have an offer from Magdalene too! Mine is for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences.

Latest

Trending

Trending