The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Nadine10
Haha its okay dw - for books we don't read entire books but simply relevant sections. The main economic historians are Allen, Mokyr, Wrigley, Broadberry, Crafts, McCloskey, and many others. I can't remember all of it now, but the website has a reading list for 1st years that has all the main books/textbooks we use :smile:

Sorry meant which books did you real for your PS :smile:

Last Q how did you decide on which collage? Any Tips? Whats Christs like for econ?
Reply 301
Original post by Smko
Sorry meant which books did you real for your PS :smile:

Last Q how did you decide on which collage? Any Tips? Whats Christs like for econ?

oh sorry! lol i read Crisis Economics by Roubini and Globalisation and its Discontents by Stiglitz. And sorry i dont know about Christs :/ I just wanted an old, traditional college, in the centre of the city and so I picked Caius :smile:
Reply 302
oh sorry! lol i read Crisis Economics by Roubini and Globalisation and its Discontents by Stiglitz. And sorry i dont know about Christs :/ I just wanted an old, traditional college, in the centre of the city and so I picked Caius :smile:

Thanks for all the information!! :biggrin:
Hey everyone, 2d year economist at Cambridge here - would love to help anyone if there are any questions :smile: TSR was such a big help for me

Two questions:

1. I know Cambridge don't care but for others, what do you put for extracurricular on your personal statement if you don't really have anything impressive? I am grade four piano but I doubt that's worth mentioning? I have a volunteering/leadership thing and that's it...
2. What kind of questions do they ask at interviews? You hear about all the weird and wonderful ones but not the normal ones.
Reply 304
Original post by Anonymous1717
Two questions:

1. I know Cambridge don't care but for others, what do you put for extracurricular on your personal statement if you don't really have anything impressive? I am grade four piano but I doubt that's worth mentioning? I have a volunteering/leadership thing and that's it...
2. What kind of questions do they ask at interviews? You hear about all the weird and wonderful ones but not the normal ones.

Well your volunteer/leadership thing sounds interesting and defo worth a mention in your ps - my advice would be don't just state what you did but draw out the important skills you gained and maybe link it back to your course. For example, if you do MUN or debating, say that it allows you to look at current events from different perspective, and engineer solutions, which is was macro attempts to do with the economy.

And for the interview i got asked about dematerialisation in the first (dont worry! the interviewer knew we would know absolutely nothing about this and wanted to see if we could handle new material when he explained this) and in the second i was asked to sketch a output per worker against quantity of labour and we discussed it a bit.
My other choices were LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol and got offers from all of them - do you mean which I was expecting to get offers from when i applied?

Thats all my choices except dont they all ask for A*AA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiirankapoor
Thats all my choices except dont they all ask for A*AA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well your volunteer/leadership thing sounds interesting and defo worth a mention in your ps - my advice would be don't just state what you did but draw out the important skills you gained and maybe link it back to your course. For example, if you do MUN or debating, say that it allows you to look at current events from different perspective, and engineer solutions, which is was macro attempts to do with the economy.

And for the interview i got asked about dematerialisation in the first (dont worry! the interviewer knew we would know absolutely nothing about this and wanted to see if we could handle new material when he explained this) and in the second i was asked to sketch a output per worker against quantity of labour and we discussed it a bit.

Sorry for so many questions but excluding cambridge, what sorts of extra stuff is good for ps. Ive done DofE, school council, prefect, and econ society prefect. Is that enough or should i do more, and if so what sort of stuff should i be doing. I have no work experience in economics ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that defeats the point of firm and insurance? I want to go for these unis but would it be foolish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But that defeats the point of firm and insurance? I want to go for these unis but would it be foolish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how confident your are in getting the A*
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
It depends on how confident your are in getting the A*

In 110% confident ill get atleast one A* although im secretly aiming for 3. But just incase....

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 110% confident ill get atleast one A* although im secretly aiming for 3. But just incase....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone's overconfident :wink:, if you wanna be safe then you could always pick an AAA option
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you should have confidence in your abilities. Most of us are in the same situation as yourself but we are sure that we can achieve the A* and are more concerned about obtaining the offer as opposed to achieving it so applying to those universities means we have the best chance of getting into a top university for economics.

This is what I'm inferring btw as I also peak to apply to those 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Accidentally double posted
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have an insurance, it's not compulsory.
If you're 110% what's the problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When mentioning books in your Personal Statement and they say ' mention what you've learnt ' - i'm trying to avoid saying stuff that the admissions tutor would know , so what do they mean by ' mention what you've learnt ' ? because a lot of stuff in the books is probably already known to the admissions tutor , so are you supposed to say that you've learnt something and then relate it to yourself in some way or what ?

That's incredibly badly worded but i'm afraid i couldn't phrase it any better - so any help will be appreciated massively ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was 110% confident i would get 9 A*'s , ended up with 3 lol

best bet is to get an insurance that's not A*AA - you want to end up somewhere , which is better than not ending up anywhere.
Original post by Fas
When mentioning books in your Personal Statement and they say ' mention what you've learnt ' - i'm trying to avoid saying stuff that the admissions tutor would know , so what do they mean by ' mention what you've learnt ' ? because a lot of stuff in the books is probably already known to the admissions tutor , so are you supposed to say that you've learnt something and then relate it to yourself in some way or what ?

That's incredibly badly worded but i'm afraid i couldn't phrase it any better - so any help will be appreciated massively ! :smile:

Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand. Do you want to avoid putting things in your PS that the tutors will know or things that are commonly said?

You can't avoid the former :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
i was 110% confident i would get 9 A*'s , ended up with 3 lol.

what happened? Were you just close in 6 subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tooambitious
Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand. Do you want to avoid putting things in your PS that the tutors will know or things that are commonly said?

You can't avoid the former :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i didn't think so either - but someone i spoke too said try and make it original :tongue:

like one book i read , i said that i learnt that mathematical approaches to treating economic issues contain difficulties such as blah blah etc. the person i spoke to said not to include that cos it wasn't good enough , so i'm veryyy confused !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending