The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadpanda123
Still feeling rubbish. :s-smilie: Seeing my therapist tomorrow but still too worried to talk to her about some of my thoughts-triggering for most

Spoiler

I wondered whether I should go back and speak to GP again but I'm working too much at the moment so couldn't make it until the end of this week. :frown:

Ugh :frown: I hate myself, I don't want to be me any more

If you're having those thoughts you should definitely mention them. There is no negative to this really. It will help the therapist assess the situation. If you hide them from her she is really working in the dark a bit and you might not get the right treatment. If you also mention these to your GP then he can adapt your medication which can really help deal with these thoughts too. If they are pretty constant then it means your meds are not sorted properly yet.

In the meantime a big HUG.

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HmMusic
I have sent a bunch of articles on the MIND website to his work email address. He says he will read them tomorrow at work so hopefully he actually will.

I'm feeling so crisis-y tonight, just as much as yesterday. I wanted to go to the hospital last night but my boyfriend said it would be a waste of resources which made me feel even worse I texted my midwife last night about it and she told me to go to Out Of Hours but I haven't build up the courage until this evening, so I phoned 111 and they made me an appointment at 10pm so I'll be going later with him. I feel so utterly hopeless, but I don't think I should be going even though the lady at 111 said I needed to. I don't think my stuff is important or severe enough for them to do anything about it.

You are definitely important enough, hun, and as as I said earlier, your midwife, and the person at 111 wouldn't have told you to go/made that appointment if they didn't think you needed it. They may not be able to actually do anything per se, but they can listen, and they might have suggestions as to how you can cope. It could be really really beneficial. :smile: :jumphug:
Reply 3522
A few posts have mentioned MIND. I cant get it to load on my phone. Is it a helpful website?
Original post by kmcgowan13
Hi thanks for replying, just managed a snooze so feeling a tad more normal, I've got very few friends around me as they all moved away, my partner is brilliant most the time but when I'm having a bad day I resent him for not having to worry about popping out etc, my daughter is 4 so goes to preschool but never get to relax as I have to pop up to My parents to save petrol and they don't let me sleep! This week I've tried to be normal.., had appointments people over, did a face painting stall and whilst I'm doing it I'm
Fine but afterwards its zapped all ny energy concentrating and not being anxious! I am feeling more normal now, but I've got a long 2 week's ahead of me :-s

You are doing brilliantly. One of the most difficult things is being a parent while dealing with depression yourself. A four year old has no concept of what you are experiencing and wants you to be her mum whatever your state of exhaustion. Of course this is true for all parents but with depression your reserves are low and you can easily feel overwhelmed. Also kids pick up on the vibes but aren't able to rationalise them. They can feel that something is wrong but don't understand it. Sometimes this means they become more demanding in consequence and it gets to be a vicious circle.

You sound like an excellent mother but you can't cope with everything you used to in the same way right now. Some things could be let slip a little. Plan where you HAVE to use your energy ie. interacting with your daughter for instance and where you can save some ie. let the housework go (messy house means nothing much right now), give up ironing altogether except for the essentials, ask yourself what IS essential and what is just habit.

I was in your situation at one point and I know just how crap it is to be worried about money. It is the number one stressor for any parent. I don't know your exact situation but maybe you can get welfare advice from a local agency or the mental health service themselves have welfare advisors.

This is not the time to make big decisions so don't hand in your notice at work as you will be entitled to money if they end your contract. Don't put your child in care unless you feel she is in some way unsafe. This is not the time for such big decisions and she is best with her mother. You can get help. I arranged with mental health services for someone to take my child to playgroup for me for instance and during that time I went to a small local spa and swam and had a sauna. You can sometimes get refferred from your GP to such places. Of course if you arranged for help with your child you could use the time however you wanted, to sleep maybe or get on top of some other things. Social services can arrange for someone to take your child to school for instance. You can ask for such help via your mental health team. Just because you need help will not mean that suddenly your child will be taken away either.

I know you are very independant but times have changed. Could you talk to your partner about what this means fnancially for your relationship. Could he help out even more? Buy out a share of your property? He's probably withdrawing because he doesn't know what to do to help and this can make some men, who like to find absolute solutions, feel quite threatened about their own abilities.

Hang on in there. Remember you are still ill and can't do everything.

HUG

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks again! Just taken some diazapam and in bed now, hopefully daughter will sleep! My dad doesn't understand depression at all, my mum tries, I think it all got on top of me today, I'm child minding tomorrow so I'll be exhausted but my parents are having my daughter Wednesday night for me! My daughter knows when I'm bad and her behaviour is awful :-( when I'm good she's brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone. :wavey: Have never posted in here because I've never had the guts to but I've read the thread for a long time. :colondollar: Now seems as good a time as any to post. I hope that's okay! :colondollar:

Original post by Sabertooth
Does anyone here ever feel really afraid without being able to pinpoint the source?
The past few days I've gone to bed at 10 like normal, I've then dragged my pillow, blanket and teddy into the living room so I could sleep with my wife in the room while she's still on the computer as I'm too scared to be alone. It makes me feel pathetic. Even more so as she keeps asking me what I'm scared of and I can't answer. Why am I such a wimp? During the day it's not much better, I feel constantly on edge and like I'm being watched, I can't relax at all.

I get this quite a lot, I'll either be really paranoid and on edge or be totally terrified of nothing what-so-ever. Spent the whole of a holiday sleeping on a sofa in the living room where my dad was because it was the only room I wasn't curled up in a ball crying because I was so afraid. And there was nothing to be scared of- I was literally afraid of nothing. I couldn't explain it to anyone- it was just pure terror that rushed over me and seemed to come from nowhere. Sometimes I find it helps just being around other people, other times the only thing for it (for me anyway) is to curl up in a ball and wait for it to pass. :frown: Sorry that isn't much help at all but I do know what you're talking about so you're not the only one! And it doesn't make you pathetic or a wimp at all. :nah: Please don't think that! :hugs:
Original post by zonkfrog
A few posts have mentioned MIND. I cant get it to load on my phone. Is it a helpful website?

Yes! It's a mental health charity aimed at improving knowledge of mental health issues, and breaking down stigma - along with Rethink (another major mental health charity), they started the Time to Change project, which I'd definitely recommend looking into. Also, Rethink and Mind both provide advocacy services for those with mental health problems, and Mind certainly (less sure about Rethink) provides counselling in some areas as well.
Original post by zonkfrog

They have loads of good, detailed factsheets. I really like sending people Mind links coz they're clear and easy to understand :yes:

Original post by tasha96
Hey everyone. :wavey: Have never posted in here because I've never had the guts to but I've read the thread for a long time. :colondollar: Now seems as good a time as any to post. I hope that's okay! :colondollar:

TASHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :gah: :lovehug: :jumphug:

Dw, they're all friendly and won't bite. And if they do, they'll answer to me and my goats :security:

Nah seriously, everyone's supportive here: nothing to fear :lovehug:
Reply 3528
Original post by Anonymous
You are definitely important enough, hun, and as as I said earlier, your midwife, and the person at 111 wouldn't have told you to go/made that appointment if they didn't think you needed it. They may not be able to actually do anything per se, but they can listen, and they might have suggestions as to how you can cope. It could be really really beneficial. :smile: :jumphug:

I just can't believe how hopeless I feel. Just completely broken. I have not felt this bad since I was 15, with all the stuff with my brother. I can't put it into words on these forums due to restrictions. I guess I just need to tell them that. It's not right or rational.
I used to be so strong and it's all changed, I hate the way I feel sometimes when I'm at my low point everything is too much then when I'm out of it I suffer guilt!

I try to do what I can and I'm looking at my diary now and I've got an appt each day this week and it's stressing me out! I'm not at work and I've got a meeting next tuesday to discuss options, occy health have agreed I'm not fit to work too! I'm not entitled to benefits dye to my partners wage, he pays the mortgage gas water and elec all I'm responsible for is the council tax land line and ny stuff such as car ins, mobile, I do half towards food too, I manage but it's tight!

My ex husband left as he couldn't handle my depression and I'm worried my partner will do the same :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HmMusic
I just can't believe how hopeless I feel. Just completely broken. I have not felt this bad since I was 15, with all the stuff with my brother. I can't put it into words on these forums due to restrictions. I guess I just need to tell them that. It's not right or rational.

I can completely empathise with that.:jumphug: Feel free to put those words in a text to me if you want to, and definitely talk to the Out of Hours people about it. :hugs:
Reply 3531
Original post by kmcgowan13
Thanks again! Just taken some diazapam and in bed now, hopefully daughter will sleep! My dad doesn't understand depression at all, my mum tries, I think it all got on top of me today, I'm child minding tomorrow so I'll be exhausted but my parents are having my daughter Wednesday night for me! My daughter knows when I'm bad and her behaviour is awful :-( when I'm good she's brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diazapam is very good at calming things down, hopefully you can get some rest :hugs: That's annoying, though I think that's often the way with parents unfortunately. I know my parents don't understand or even attempt to understand my problems :console: Oh no! :frown: That must be really hard on you, hun :hugs: I really hope things improve for you soon!

Original post by tasha96

:hi:
Of course that's okay! Welcome :h:
:hugs:
Reply 3532
Original post by tasha96

Hey :smile: Of course it is ok to post :yep: how are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3533
Original post by tasha96

Tasha! :jumphug: Really glad you've managed to pluck up the courage to post :yes: Everyone in here is lovely and awesome as TSG said. I'd be rather lost without them. Hopefully they can be awesome, awesome support for you too.
feel like im going down hill tonight, dont think i can cope with this :sad:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

TASHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :gah: :lovehug: :jumphug:

Dw, they're all friendly and won't bite. And if they do, they'll answer to me and my goats :security:

Nah seriously, everyone's supportive here: nothing to fear :lovehug:

Thanks lovely! :colondollar: Seriously scared about posting, not sure why I was now, everyone seems lovely. :blush:
:loveduck:

Original post by 08batee

:hi:
Of course that's okay! Welcome :h:
:hugs:

Thank you for the welcome! :hugs:

Original post by avhhs
Hey :smile: Of course it is ok to post :yep: how are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm okay thanks! :smile: Having a better night after a rubbish day. :s-smilie: How are you? :hugs:

Original post by Deyesy
Tasha! :jumphug: Really glad you've managed to pluck up the courage to post :yes: Everyone in here is lovely and awesome as TSG said. I'd be rather lost without them. Hopefully they can be awesome, awesome support for you too.

Thanks hun. :jumphug: Sorry for panicking on you about it. :colondollar:
Original post by tasha96
Thanks lovely! :colondollar: Seriously scared about posting, not sure why I was now, everyone seems lovely. :blush:

Oh tiz always scary posting on a new thread. In a state of psychosis, I posted on the LGBT Chat thread then panicked and deleted it. Except Mazz had already replied to my post :colonhash: So then I replied, but he deleted his reply! Then I deleted my reply but he had already replied to it! We went round in circles for a while :teehee:
Reply 3537
Original post by tasha96

Thank you for the welcome! :hugs:

I'm okay thanks! :smile: Having a better night after a rubbish day. :s-smilie: How are you? :hugs:

No worries! No need to be scared - as TLG said, no one bites (except me - but only occasionally :ninja: :teehee: )
Original post by 08batee
No worries! No need to be scared - as TLG said, no one bites (except me - but only occasionally :ninja: :teehee: )

Wait, shouldn't WE be biting YOU, if you're a banana? :p:
Reply 3539
Original post by tasha96

Nothing to be sorry for :nah: Posting in here for the first time definitely requires courage.

Original post by 08batee

Wolfie does too sometimes :tongue:

Latest