The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah04H
Thank you :smile: My surgery is on thursday so i'm now starting to panic :P

At the moment the pain and discomfort seems bigger than the long term effects, but that might just be the nerves. Hopefully it won't stop me from having it done.

It's Thursday

Good luck!
Original post by chubbycharms
I've been told I need jaw surgery and I'm not sure I want to go through with it yet. Anyway, this girl that I'm subscribed to on YouTube had a double jaw surgery and she vlogged about her whole experience. She's called Leanne Woodfull. This is the link to the first of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtsyD9DE3-s. She has a fair few more on the procedure as well.

Because of this girl I'm pushing to get my done more and more, if you are insecure about the way you look or it's effecting you day to day life I would highly suggest for you to get it! I've done extensive research about the whole procedure and about everything afterwards ect and it has a very very high success rate and every person I've read about (which is a lot) have been more then happy about their finished results! If it's effecting you then it is the bet decision to make!
Original post by Ashleighjade2
Because of this girl I'm pushing to get my done more and more, if you are insecure about the way you look or it's effecting you day to day life I would highly suggest for you to get it! I've done extensive research about the whole procedure and about everything afterwards ect and it has a very very high success rate and every person I've read about (which is a lot) have been more then happy about their finished results! If it's effecting you then it is the bet decision to make!

+1

Jaw surgery has totally changed my look for the better.

Look a lot better now. Much more symmetrical face, and a nice smile.

If anyone wants to see before - after pics, I would be happy to share them so they can appreciate the changes it can do to someone.
Hi everyone.

So I'm currently 15 (16 in about 4 months), and I've been told I will need to get corrective jaw surgery on my upper and lower jaw. I don't know all the details, as I was told about 9 months ago, and I have to wait till im about 17 - so just over a year from now. My underbite is pretty bad, I dont know the mm or anything, but I know that it is really bad and the guy I saw at the hospital told me i needed to move my upper jaw forward - which was news to me. Also I have a crossbite, so like my face is sorta skewed and just horrible to be honest.

To be honest with you, I am just really really frightened. I know its not going to be happening for another 3-4 years perhaps, but just the thought of being knocked out and the possibility of not waking up again is scaring me to death right now. Yeah, there are risks with every surgery, and every day life, i get that.

Having said that, I really want the surgery. I hate my face, Im so self conscious - and the previous years I would get laughed at and picked on for my noticeable chin that sticks out. I always like blame myself, asking why is it me that had to have this? Why couldn't I just have a normal face like most people, but then I realise how ungrateful I am, as there are other people who would rather be in my position then what they are in.

I dont really know what I want out of this, I suppose just views + opinions, words of encouragement, I dont know.
Reply 204
Original post by fat_hobbit
I can send you a before - after pic if you want.

That will probably put your mind at ease , as you will then see it will be all be worthwhile for you.

To answer your question, food and energy is the worst aspect. You are too drugged out to feel the pain.

Thank you. I didn't have time to reply but i'm now day 3-4 post op. It's not as painful as i thought but i can't talk which is horrible. The nurses and doctors say i should by now but i'm just making sounds.
Also, when does the swelling go down? And is the first week the hardest and do you get use to it?
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your replies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah04H
Thank you. I didn't have time to reply but i'm now day 3-4 post op. It's not as painful as i thought but i can't talk which is horrible. The nurses and doctors say i should by now but i'm just making sounds.
Also, when does the swelling go down? And is the first week the hardest and do you get use to it?
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your replies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It took me 3 months for the majority of it to go down

And yeah you wont be able to talk for a while; gets frustrating :wink:
Reply 206
It took me 3 months for the majority of it to go down

And yeah you wont be able to talk for a while; gets frustrating :wink:

Well thankfully it's the summer holidays so i'm hoping it will go down by the time i go back, and thanks :smile: The nurse kept telling me to talk and i couldn't, so i'm glad it's normal.

Thank you for all the replies, you've helped a lot!
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of an underbite, I did have braces several years ago but unfortunately for me I was still growing then.
Basically my wisdom teeth erupted and my lower jaw grew longer and wider which has messed up my bite.

I did see an orthodontist last week to get an idea whether It could be fixed through braces but he said I would need jaw surgery.
He said he could try widening and spacing out the top teeth to compensate although he doubts it would last as chances are it will revert back to it's original position. The only other option is jaw surgery where they push my lower jaw back a bit.

But he tried advising me against jaw surgery as he said it's a major operation, under general anaesthesia where there's a chance you won't wake back up. Also there's a high chance that you can suffer nerve damage and lose sensation in your chin, lips and parts of your face permanently.

He did say that my case is quite borderline, as I have an overjet of 0mm, where my front top teeth and front lower teeth come into direct contact, when most people are meant to have on average 3mm. He said that my case is severe enough for non-surgical orthodontic treatment to be useless but not bad enough for him to immediately suggest that i risk surgery.

So I left the appointment feeling really confused on what I should do. His advice was to leave it alone as he said the surgery is very risky.
Whilst I fortunately don't really have any problems eating, it does really annoy me that my teeth don't sit together properly as only a few come into contact and I have a noticeable gap from the sides.
Also I am very self conscious about my appearance as my lower jaw does stick out and is protruding especially from the side, it does sort of dent my confidence a bit. :frown:

In one way, I am really tempted to give the surgery a go but i'm kind of scared by it.
Especially with the fear of permanently losing the sensation of part of my face.

So i'm not too sure of what to do... :s-smilie:
I've recently had a surgical consultation about having surgery on my upper and lower jaw. They told me that I will be having the surgery in December which is abit annoying (couldn't find any space for this summer). Just wanted to know how long it would take for me to be back to normal life as ill be at university and don't want it to impact my uni examinations in January. I would appreciate any advice from those who have already carried out this surgery :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I love this thread! I hope I can contribute more when my surgery is done.

I currently have braces on, surgery due next year, I originally thought I just needed my lower jaw moved forward, but the surgeon told me that if i wanted 'perfect' symmetrical teeth then it would be better to operate on both the lower and upper.

They said I don't need to decide now..But I am still not sure what I want to do, I fear that the risk of something going wrong during the op will be bigger and there will be a longer recovery time.

Has anyone had experience of being operated on both lower and upper jaw?
Any pictures of before and after they could send? Even if just lower jaw before and after?
My email is [email protected]
In March 2010; I had reconstructive surgery to both my jaws as I had an underbite but my top jaw was pushed back :frown:

If I was asked at the present day; would I go through it all over again, my answer would be nope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by simplylldxo
In March 2010; I had reconstructive surgery to both my jaws as I had an underbite but my top jaw was pushed back :frown:

If I was asked at the present day; would I go through it all over again, my answer would be nope!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hated the recovery period :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
I hated the recovery period :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it's worth it now, looking back?
What made it so bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megan_12
Surely it's worth it now, looking back?
What made it so bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has its pros and cons!

Everything from getting discharged too early to being in the house for 4 weeks! Whenever I went out; I felt self conscious of myself because of the horrendous bruising to getting called a 'gargoyle' by a randomer because I was so swollen :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It has its pros and cons!

Everything from getting discharged too early to being in the house for 4 weeks! Whenever I went out; I felt self conscious of myself because of the horrendous bruising to getting called a 'gargoyle' by a randomer because I was so swollen :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But don't you look better now?

Sure it sucks. But in my own experience, the aesthetic changes outweighed the negatives.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of an underbite, I did have braces several years ago but unfortunately for me I was still growing then.
Basically my wisdom teeth erupted and my lower jaw grew longer and wider which has messed up my bite.

I did see an orthodontist last week to get an idea whether It could be fixed through braces but he said I would need jaw surgery.
He said he could try widening and spacing out the top teeth to compensate although he doubts it would last as chances are it will revert back to it's original position. The only other option is jaw surgery where they push my lower jaw back a bit.

But he tried advising me against jaw surgery as he said it's a major operation, under general anaesthesia where there's a chance you won't wake back up. Also there's a high chance that you can suffer nerve damage and lose sensation in your chin, lips and parts of your face permanently.

He did say that my case is quite borderline, as I have an overjet of 0mm, where my front top teeth and front lower teeth come into direct contact, when most people are meant to have on average 3mm. He said that my case is severe enough for non-surgical orthodontic treatment to be useless but not bad enough for him to immediately suggest that i risk surgery.

So I left the appointment feeling really confused on what I should do. His advice was to leave it alone as he said the surgery is very risky.
Whilst I fortunately don't really have any problems eating, it does really annoy me that my teeth don't sit together properly as only a few come into contact and I have a noticeable gap from the sides.
Also I am very self conscious about my appearance as my lower jaw does stick out and is protruding especially from the side, it does sort of dent my confidence a bit. :frown:

In one way, I am really tempted to give the surgery a go but i'm kind of scared by it.
Especially with the fear of permanently losing the sensation of part of my face.

So i'm not too sure of what to do... :s-smilie:

This will be fixed after surgery. After which you will feel a lot more confident and less concious as that will no longer be an issue.

The recovery period is tough, but it's temporary.

And the chance of losing sensation in your face is very slim.
But don't you look better now?

Sure it sucks. But in my own experience, the aesthetic changes outweighed the negatives.

May look better but inside I'm thinking whether it was worth it or not.. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
May look better but inside I'm thinking whether it was worth it or not.. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you will never have to go through it again, with the final results being for life
Well you will never have to go through it again, with the final results being for life

Depends if the surgeon ****ed up or not.. Also I never met the surgeon that did the surgery itself! :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest