The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
Today we say goodbye to one of our beloved right back: Paulo Ferriera. I am genuinely upset that he's leaving even if he rarely appeared for us in recent seasons. Fantastic player, fantastic model and a true gentlemen. Honestly, think he's a legend in his own right!

Thank you Paulo Ferriera.

Paulo_Ferreira_2179499b.jpg

and goodbye to Malouda, Benayoun and Turnbull.

So wait Hilario's staying?
Original post by Tweek
10 years ago to this day Abramovich bought us. There's been an interesting article published on the Chelsea website if anyone wants to have a read HERE

If you don't have time to read the whole article at least read the following extract.

Hope the next 10 years are just as successful as the last. Feels like we're embarking into a new era too, with the spine of the team being reinvented, and the return of Jose in conjunction with our influx of new younger players. Looking forward to the new season.

0,,10268~12042859,00.jpg

Which young players are you talking about?
Yes we are buying young players which is good but non get to play competitive matches from the youth team. Bertrand needs to learn quick off Cole. Other then that I don't see any other youth team player breaking through. We need them coming through even more now because we need 8 English origin players in the squad with the rules and regulation.
Reply 3822
Original post by 419
You guys displaying one of the many things I really find abhorrent about football atm. Mikel was coaxed into sacrificing himself to fit the need of Chelsea now you guys want to get rid like a piece of dirt.

Andre arshavin played a different role to fit the need of arsenal(he usually has a more free role for russia around the hole than playing on the wing)
Lets not get into bendtner who was played on the wing on numerous occassions.
United did the same thing to anderson too, who was more of an attacking mid/striker than a CM.

Matter of fact is that currently the player isn't good enough to fit our current system and what we are trying to develop, he can sit on the bench if he likes but surely going to galatasaray and starting every game playing CL football each season would be a better option for him. He's been a good servant to the club and there's no bitter feelings from either side if he leaves.
Reply 3823
Original post by cleveradam
Which young players are you talking about?
Yes we are buying young players which is good but non get to play competitive matches from the youth team. Bertrand needs to learn quick off Cole. Other then that I don't see any other youth team player breaking through. We need them coming through even more now because we need 8 English origin players in the squad with the rules and regulation.

Um Hazard, Courtois, Oscar, Lukaku, KDB.
They probably have an average 20-21 roughly.
Original post by Tweek
Um Hazard, Courtois, Oscar, Lukaku, KDB.
They probably have an average 20-21 roughly.

Are they home grown ?
Reply 3825
Original post by sevchenko
Are they home grown ?

Lukaku will be, not too sure about KDB because he has been loaned abroad.
Reply 3826
Are they home grown ?

When did I ever mention home grown in my original post?
They aren't, except for Lukaku. Don't think he was talking about that though.

Any player under 21 doesn't have to be registered in the 25 man squad.

We are allowed a maximum of 17 players that don't fit either homegrown criteria (club-trained or not).

We currently have 10, so there is plenty of scope, especially if we pick up a homegrown back up keeper (like Ruddy - not that I'd be fond of spending 10m on him, though).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tweek
When did I ever mention home grown in my original post?

I didn't say you did. I just asked a simple question.
Reply 3829
Chelsea should walk the league next year and I think they will.
No, we really won't.
Reply 3831
I didn't say you did. I just asked a simple question.

Lukaku might be the rest aren't.
I'm not sure if the rules are the player must have been here for 3 whole years before they're 21. I.E between the age of 18-21. Or if it is 3 seasons. Of which this will be his third.

But we have the home grown Chelsea players in Terry/Betrand/Blackmand (assume will be 3rd choice) and a few other younger player.
Then Cole/Lampard and any other youth team player will meet home grown.

Think Piazon could make home grown status. Ake will, obviously neither of these two will yet but in a year or two. Expect Ruben Loftus-Cheek to be named in the 25 man squad too to meet the demands but Lukaku wouldn't have to be named.

I have no concerns about HG players now or in the future.
Reply 3832
Original post by PotPon
Chelsea should walk the league next year and I think they will.

That's not going to happen. I expect the title next season but I don't think it'll be that easy. Can see us, city and united getting around 85-95 points.
Original post by Tweek
I'm not sure if the rules are the player must have been here for 3 whole years before they're 21. I.E between the age of 18-21. Or if it is 3 seasons. Of which this will be his third.

But we have the home grown Chelsea players in Terry/Betrand/Blackmand (assume will be 3rd choice) and a few other younger player.

Think Piazon could make home grown status. Ake will, obviously neither of these two will yet but in a year or two. Expect Ruben Loftus-Cheek to be named in the 25 man squad too to meet the demands but Lukaku wouldn't have to be named.

English homegrown is a player that has spent 3 years an english club between the age of 16-21.

Club trained homegrown is a player that has spent 3 years at Chelsea between the age of 16-21, excluding loan periods.
Original post by Tweek

Ofc Chelsea have no problem meeting the home grown quota, its the quality of the home grown talent which says alot about what's going on at Chelsea.

Chelsea are an top English team, they have a duty to produce top English talent, all English clubs do but Chelsea have the money to provide top quality coaching and facilities for English youth players. We'll never see another "Mr. Chelsea" from Chelsea's academy. Most Chelsea fans are begging for a top quality English player from the start of their academy.
Reply 3835
Original post by The Assassin
English homegrown is a player that has spent 3 years an english club between the age of 16-21.

Club trained homegrown is a player that has spent 3 years at Chelsea between the age of 16-21, excluding loan periods.

Is it 3 whole years then and not seasons?
We bought Lukaku when he was 18 did we not. So he wouldn't be eligable?
Reply 3836
Ofc Chelsea have no problem meeting the home grown quota, its the quality of the home grown talent which says alot about what's going on at Chelsea.

Chelsea are an top English team, they have a duty to produce top English talent, all English clubs do but Chelsea have the money to provide top quality coaching and facilities for English youth players. We'll never see another "Mr. Chelsea" from Chelsea's academy. Most Chelsea fans are begging for a top quality English player from the start of their academy.

2 fa cup youth finals recently (2010/2012)
Finalists in Nextgen series. Should have won having a far superior team. Youth team manager really needs to leave, abysmal tactics. I think we have a few promising youngsters.

Hardly any of the top Clubs are bringing through top English talent. Southampton puts all the top clubs to shame with their youth products.
Original post by Tweek
Is it 3 whole years then and not seasons?
We bought Lukaku when he was 18 did we not. So he wouldn't be eligable?

Sorry, misread.

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
Original post by Tweek
2 fa cup youth finals recently (2010/2012)
Finalists in Nextgen series. Should have won having a far superior team. Youth team manager really needs to leave, abysmal tactics. I think we have a few promising youngsters.

Hardly any of the top Clubs are bringing through top English talent. Southampton puts all the top clubs to shame with their youth products.

I have always maintained Chelsea have one of the best academies in the world. Like I said before you have the money to buy the best facilities and coaching. The players in the Chelsea's academy have great potential and ability. We've seen that from the final they're in but they won't get a chance to reach their full potential because they're missing out on a key part of their development which is first team football. Youth won't be anywhere near the first 11 because of the expectation on Chelsea to win things every season, there's no point raising English talent because you can buy a ready made foreigner.

I disagree with the last bit. The only Chelsea player remotely close to the national team is Bertrand.

At Man U there's Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck. They all can stake a claim to England's first 11.

At Arsenal there's Wilshere, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carl Jenkinson and Kieran Gibbs (Jenks and Gibbs is at the same level of Bertrand. Gibbs a little higher than both) Yes some players were bought but the move to arsenal boosted their development same for Man U
Man City tried to get some English talent but Rodwell and Sinclair have suffered in their development as a result of their move. They should have stayed at their respective clubs.
Reply 3839
I have always maintained Chelsea have one of the best academies in the world. Like I said before you have the money to buy the best facilities and coaching. The players in the Chelsea's academy have great potential and ability. We've seen that from the final they're in but they won't get a chance to reach their full potential because they're missing out on a key part of their development which is first team football. Youth won't be anywhere near the first 11 because of the expectation on Chelsea to win things every season, there's no point raising English talent because you can buy a ready made foreigner.

I disagree with the last bit. The only Chelsea player remotely close to the national team is Bertrand.

At Man U there's Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck. They all can stake a claim to England's first 11.

At Arsenal there's Wilshere, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carl Jenkinson and Kieran Gibbs (Jenks and Gibbs is at the same level of Bertrand. Gibbs a little higher than both) Yes some players were bought but the move to arsenal boosted their development same for Man U
Man City tried to get some English talent but Rodwell and Sinclair have suffered in their development as a result of their move. They should have stayed at their respective clubs.

My point was half of those players were bought from other team.

Sinclair was a Chelsea player, Rodwell Everton, AOC/Walcott Southampton, Jenkinson Charlton, Jones Blackburn, Smalling came from Fulham I believe, Welbeck is embarrassing.

Chalobah is our most promising player IMO, English that is.

Southampton also have Clyne and Shaw coming through.

We produced Jack Cork but he never reached the heights he was touted as reaching, I expect the same to happen to McEachran now.

Latest