The Student Room Group

Summer jobs 2013

Scroll to see replies

finally got a job!

start tomorrow, so nervous!
Reply 101
Original post by noone29
Your best bet is small outlets/businesses. Also, experience is key. You're far more likely to get a job if you have 2 or 3 years experience. I've come back to London from uni and got offered a job straight away, unfortunately I got fired after two weeks because a manager didn't like me and said 'I didn't fit in'...the places I've worked at before have been far more pressurized, but meh, moved on and have an interview with a Luxury Hotel Chain next week.

Where was your workplace that you got fired if you don't nind answering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by wndms
Where was your workplace that you got fired if you don't nind answering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't give the name in case someone searches but it is in SW London
Reply 103
I'm starting to believe I'll never hear anyone tell me that I've got the job.
I've had four interviews this month - two I was rejected from, one I was nearly offered but I couldn't do it because I'm not 18 and one I'm waiting to hear back from. I don't know what else they want from me.
Would the best way to look for a job be to ring up places first, or would you go into the store and ask them then?
Reply 105
Original post by Vip3rgt9
Would the best way to look for a job be to ring up places first, or would you go into the store and ask them then?

Go in and ask. If I see and advert on gumtree and I know the place, I call up and say I'm gonna be dropping off a CV. Then I speak to a manager and boom, your chance to smash and grab.
Reply 106
There is a programme called National citizenship service and this often opens up 18+ years old job vacancies as team leaders and mentors there is minimal training involved too.

http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/National-Youth-Programme-co-ordinator_job56770101

http://powered.jobsgopublic.com/disabledgo/jobs/national-citizen-service-summer-2013-short-term-5-week-nnc

I know these will be too far away for some people but its a country run programme and they have them all over the UK. Try and find the nearest place to you that runs the programme and see if they have any jobs if not this programme is run throughout summer holidays and applications normally start around May/June.

Hope this helps some of you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i need a job too, i live in london and apparently theme parks are always hiring students, but they're too far for me to travel. i need a job asap, before the summer holidays finish :frown:
Reply 108
Had two jobs offers today! Was on my way to Clarks for my interview when New Look phoned to say the job was mine. Had given up on that as it had been over a week since my interview. She said I could have a bit of time to think if I wanted so I decided to do that and do the Clarks interview too.

Did that interview, got out and then phoned back to accept the job at New Look where I would start next Thursday. About two hours later Clarks phoned ans offered me the job too.

So I've accepted the Clarks one and imw going to phone to tell New Look I've since had a better offer. Clarks pays more, has more contracted hours, is 20 minutes closer and wont involve multiple buses to get too! Plus they were nice hours, 11-3 on my days in work.

Pretty chuffed with how it all turned out to be honest!
Reply 109
Original post by Gallois
Had two jobs offers today! Was on my way to Clarks for my interview when New Look phoned to say the job was mine. Had given up on that as it had been over a week since my interview. She said I could have a bit of time to think if I wanted so I decided to do that and do the Clarks interview too.

Did that interview, got out and then phoned back to accept the job at New Look where I would start next Thursday. About two hours later Clarks phoned ans offered me the job too.

So I've accepted the Clarks one and imw going to phone to tell New Look I've since had a better offer. Clarks pays more, has more contracted hours, is 20 minutes closer and wont involve multiple buses to get too! Plus they were nice hours, 11-3 on my days in work.

Pretty chuffed with how it all turned out to be honest!

Wow! That's amazing, congratulations. When and how did you apply for the job, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 110
Original post by Dolphino
Wow! That's amazing, congratulations. When and how did you apply for the job, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! As for how I applied, it was different for both. For Clarks, I spotted a sign in the window about 10 days ago and went in an inquired. They gave me an application to fill in and hand back. So I did that and then got the phone call for the interview on saturday and had the interview today. They said 40 or so people applied and I got shortlisted into the final 6. It was mainly them talking at me, I was interviewed by the Manager and Team Leader. They asked about 4 questions, all basic interview stuff really. Time I reached a target, time I had a challenge, time I dealt with a difficult customer etc.

With New Look, I just went around with my CV around a retail park in Newport (which is quite a commute for me but I need to expand my job hunt area, haha!) Handed it in to the supervisor who told me they'd literally started hiring that day. She called me about 5 minutes later to go straight back in for an interview. They said they'd phone me if I was successful or send a letter if I wasn't. That was June 22nd and I hadn't heard anything at all so I'd given up on that, but then rather unexpectedly got the phone call today on my way to my Clarks interview!

It's basically just keeping an eye out all the time, handing your CV out to shops and then playing the waiting game. If you see an empty shop/lot, keep checking back because they new company will usually advertise for staff in the window etc
Reply 111
Got a job! Highest pay ever.. 10/hour!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by wndms
Got a job! Highest pay ever.. 10/hour!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What company and doing what?
Reply 113
Original post by noone29
What company and doing what?

Ice cream shop in london.. it's quite well known
Reply 114
Original post by wndms
Ice cream shop in london.. it's quite well known

Nice one :biggrin: Hope it works for ya
Reply 115
Hi all, I'm a graduate looking for a summer job before I start my full time employment in September. I'm finding it nigh on impossible to find work for such a short space of time.

I've recently started applying for promotions and events work as it's usually short term, however I have no experience in this field. What do you think my chances of success are?

Any other suggestions? My only work experience has been admin roles, and they tend to be long term positions. I have no retail experience so handing out hundreds of CVs has been a fruitless task, and has simply wasted lots of paper/ink!
Reply 116
I've got another interview this week!
This is my fifth interview in four weeks, honestly didn't believe I would get another one. I'm still waiting to hear back from my fourth one, and I know they're telling people if they're unsuccessful as well as successful.

I actually really like one to one interviews, it's just the group ones I don't like. In the two group interviews I've had, I've always been the first to break the ice and start talking to people, but the hiring staff don't see that - all they say is the obnoxious ones who take control and don't let anyone get a word in edge ways in the 'team building' exercises. :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by Deziah
I've got another interview this week!
This is my fifth interview in four weeks, honestly didn't believe I would get another one. I'm still waiting to hear back from my fourth one, and I know they're telling people if they're unsuccessful as well as successful.

I actually really like one to one interviews, it's just the group ones I don't like. In the two group interviews I've had, I've always been the first to break the ice and start talking to people, but the hiring staff don't see that - all they say is the obnoxious ones who take control and don't let anyone get a word in edge ways in the 'team building' exercises. :frown:

I like team ones. I had one for Hilton and I've passed it. Being a leader is key. Don't sit and wait for others to speak. Tbh a group interview can do more than what a one-on-one interview can. It shows leadership, commitment, initiative and team work all whilst assessing your personal skills.

I failed my first one 3 years ago for Pizza Express. Now 3 years on and on the verge of applying for internships I'm so used to interviews, even if they're for entry level roles like waiting and bar. It's all experience and when you eventually go to more professional assessment centres, you will still be less nervous and have more experience of them than many of your counterparts.
I'm looking for a summer job too but all the jobs I find are looking for people to stay on long term but I don't know if I'll be able to until I get my grades and know which uni I'm going to. Would it be a bad idea to not mention this and just quit if I get into Birmingham and have to move? As whenever I mentioned it in the other interviews I had the interviewer always looked put off by the uncertainty of if I can stay on or not and they can easily get someone else so it's no wonder they wouldn't hire me. But I'd be really annoyed knowing I may have missed a lot of opportunities if I do end up staying home for uni.
Reply 119
Original post by musli-cat
I'm looking for a summer job too but all the jobs I find are looking for people to stay on long term but I don't know if I'll be able to until I get my grades and know which uni I'm going to. Would it be a bad idea to not mention this and just quit if I get into Birmingham and have to move? As whenever I mentioned it in the other interviews I had the interviewer always looked put off by the uncertainty of if I can stay on or not and they can easily get someone else so it's no wonder they wouldn't hire me. But I'd be really annoyed knowing I may have missed a lot of opportunities if I do end up staying home for uni.

Just lie. Don't say you're going to uni, in fact you don't even need to lie most of the time. Just say I'm looking for a full time job...and if they ask if you're studying say no. You technically aren't as your college education is over and you're in between attending higher education.

You must remember, in these low level entry jobs, managers don't give a toss about employees. Just bite the bullet. They're able to fire like they like, you're able to move on when you like, it's the benefit of a flexible labour market.

You might shock them when you leave but so be it. £2-3,000 for using your right to work or nothing because you didn't have the balls to stand up and be counted.

I know which one I'd rather choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending