The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its going to be really important for one to stay back
The left side is a bit worrying because previously you had sanchez/pedro on that side to track back but Neymar, as good as an attacker he is, isnt that great in defence and tracking back meaning Alba's runs will leave a lot of exposed space. But its still (very) early days, things WILL change.
Just had that feeling Sergio Ramos would miss that penalty.. Why did they let him take it? Grrr.

So guys...did you want Brazil or Spain to win?? Personally I didn't mind but I'm happy Brazil won, they deserved it.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Just had that feeling Sergio Ramos would miss that penalty.. Why did they let him take it? Grrr.

So guys...did you want Brazil or Spain to win?? Personally I didn't mind but I'm happy Brazil won, they deserved it.

I wanted Spain to win, I'm still a great admirer of their style of football. I have nothing against Brazil, though.
Original post by TheGreat1
Its going to be really important for one to stay back
The left side is a bit worrying because previously you had sanchez/pedro on that side to track back but Neymar, as good as an attacker he is, isnt that great in defence and tracking back meaning Alba's runs will leave a lot of exposed space. But its still (very) early days, things WILL change.

Mhmm one of them has to. Didn't think Neymar was too bad tracking back wise.

Didn't mind who won just wanted Neymar to do well.
Neymar and Alba to have throat surgery :tongue:
So apparently Barcelona ready to step up the pursuit of Marquinhos good news. But apparently Montoya in a part exchange deal I don't like...
Original post by Malevolent
So apparently Barcelona ready to step up the pursuit of Marquinhos good news. But apparently Montoya in a part exchange deal I don't like...

The first part of the sentence i liked about pursuing Marq but the second part just seemed absurd albeit worrying.
Where did you get this information from? if its from Marca or MD or one of those kinds then im not worried as they just chat nonsense 95% of the time.

And i think i had a slight change of heart for Luiz, his performance in the final was very spirited. It was like Puyol-esqe
Original post by KingMessi
I wanted Spain to win, I'm still a great admirer of their style of football. I have nothing against Brazil, though.

Ah yeah, that's fair enough but Spain did make some silly mistakes during that match. I thought in particular Jordi Alba tried a bit more than the others. But you know, the Spanish reign would have to end eventually! But oh well, good luck to them anyway.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Ah yeah, that's fair enough but Spain did make some silly mistakes during that match. I thought in particular Jordi Alba tried a bit more than the others. But you know, the Spanish reign would have to end eventually! But oh well, good luck to them anyway.

Jordi Alba was the best Spain defender out of a bad bunch :laugh:

I think it would be a little premature to say its the end of a reign. Spain didn't win the last confed cup either.
Reply 2389
Marc Muniesa moves to Stoke City.

What the ****?
Original post by Row Z
Marc Muniesa moves to Stoke City.

What the ****?

Was just about to post this hahahaha.

Clearly wants to experience the cold winter nights :colone:
Mark Hughes has links to Barcelona after his stint there as a player and the premier league clubs offer among the highest in wages (factor in the new tv deal which started this summer).

Anyone else think it's time for Del Bosque to leave Spain? I know people talk about the players being jaded and not at the top of their game etc but I think Del Bosque has become stale - he uses the same set of players that he used 6 years ago and seems hesitant to change/shake up the squad. Also a stubborn refusal to change the tactics too.

With more and more teams realising how best to tackle Spain, I think the team could use a manager who would be more reactive?

:coma:

Man I'm excited to see this...
If Barcelona wanted Dede could they get him? Cause people are saying target him but I swear he moved recently...
Original post by Zerforax
Mark Hughes has links to Barcelona after his stint there as a player and the premier league clubs offer among the highest in wages (factor in the new tv deal which started this summer).

Anyone else think it's time for Del Bosque to leave Spain? I know people talk about the players being jaded and not at the top of their game etc but I think Del Bosque has become stale - he uses the same set of players that he used 6 years ago and seems hesitant to change/shake up the squad. Also a stubborn refusal to change the tactics too.

With more and more teams realising how best to tackle Spain, I think the team could use a manager who would be more reactive?

We saw from madrid how the country acts to a reactive manager and eventually barca struggled from pep's reactive style. Although del bosque does deserve the world cup and he should leave afterwards. At least he changed the system a bit in the euros but really he needs to drop one or two players depending on form. Torres should not be in the first 11, I don't care how hard he works while villa was clearly off form after the leg break, he's just being ridiculously sentimental. Lets not even talk about raul albiol. How a guy who gets 20 appearances a season is in the squad of the greatest national team that has ever existed is beyond me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
Jordi Alba was the best Spain defender out of a bad bunch :laugh:

I think it would be a little premature to say its the end of a reign. Spain didn't win the last confed cup either.

No you got me wrong, I didn't say Spain's reign has already ended, I said that it WILL have to come to an end shortly. I have absolutely nothing against Spain but you know nothing lasts forever, and now you've even got the likes of Germany doing pretty well so yeahh...Basically. :smile:
Original post by jam277
We saw from madrid how the country acts to a reactive manager and eventually barca struggled from pep's reactive style. Although del bosque does deserve the world cup and he should leave afterwards. At least he changed the system a bit in the euros but really he needs to drop one or two players depending on form. Torres should not be in the first 11, I don't care how hard he works while villa was clearly off form after the leg break, he's just being ridiculously sentimental. Lets not even talk about raul albiol. How a guy who gets 20 appearances a season is in the squad of the greatest national team that has ever existed is beyond me.

Well that's my point about being stale. Spain have a HUGE talent pool to pick from. The could field 2 teams and still probably win the world cup with both teams..

Del Bosque needs to stop being so sentimental and lazy and refresh the squad - not only will you provide competition, you'll add hunger to the team (or at least refresh it) and a small sample of players won't suffer such heavy burn out.
Original post by Zerforax
Well that's my point about being stale. Spain have a HUGE talent pool to pick from. The could field 2 teams and still probably win the world cup with both teams..

Del Bosque needs to stop being so sentimental and lazy and refresh the squad - not only will you provide competition, you'll add hunger to the team (or at least refresh it) and a small sample of players won't suffer such heavy burn out.

Yeah pretty much. Their game has been found out and the best teams will be able to deal with it.

Martinez, Mata need to come in for a start and Xavi probably needs to drop to the bench. Major work needed on the defense too.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah pretty much. Their game has been found out and the best teams will be able to deal with it.

Martinez, Mata need to come in for a start and Xavi probably needs to drop to the bench. Major work needed on the defense too.

Personally don't think defence need that much work. Carvajal, azpilicueta/montoya will be at right back soon enough. They should be fine with alba. If they go and play a 4-2-3-1 I think they should use busquetts and martinez/alonso, so they can protect the defence better, they can control a game pretty well too. Maybe play at a slightly higher tempo due to xavi being dropped as he's obviously who sets the game at that tempo. Not finishing tiki taka but altering the style of play more so. Navas could start a game or two and just get rid of torres and villa until they actually prove themselves to be in the squad.
So apparently Madrid have put an offer in for Illarramendi hope he stays with Sociedad. Love how Madrid fans saying look we're buying youngsters now. Yes they're young but they are already becoming stars. Isco Ozil and that were always going to be big :laugh:

In fact I hope they keep that squad together Sociedad and can hopefully grow again next season.

Also why do Roma think Marqinhos is worth 30 million? 20 million if that max. Be absolutely getting fleeced if we paid that for him. Puyol and Xavi need to start being phased out its obvious their bodies can't hold up much longer.

Latest