The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
That is shocking! Maybe I am mistaken, maybe it is like a set? Although, everything is so expensive in Norway:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tyri
That is shocking! Maybe I am mistaken, maybe it is like a set? Although, everything is so expensive in Norway:tongue:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/220816998254?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65

£8.49 on Ebay, free P&P (although not sure if it includes overseas) from a top rated seller.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1442
I got nothing to say... silly overpriced country...:frown:
Reply 1443
Is this thread for people going into yr 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile:
Original post by ABC05

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mostly, yes. There are some Scottish students who are the same age but their year groups are named differently. There are also some mature students and even some 2016 hopefuls as well!
Reply 1446
Quiet day at the vets today.

First thing an emergency came in who was a dog that had ran into a stick and made a hole through their tongue. Everything was fine though as it had already began to heal and was clean with no stray bits of stick in it. :tongue:hew:

Later a 13 year old cat came in who had not eaten for the past 3 days. The owners thought it was dental problems due to wobbly teeth and maybe gum disease. The owner was right about the dental problems but the vet said that he would still be eating. So she did a blood test to see what was really wrong. The nurse and I helped as it was harder than expected due to his veins being partially collapsed. Immediately something wasn't quite right as his blood was coming out very slow and was bubbly in the syringe. The blood was popped inside some sort of machine (don't know the name :whoops: ). The results printed and it was bad news. The cat had severe kidney failure and because of the amount of toxins in his blood he was anaemic as well. The vet rang the owners and the treatments were either low toxin food that would give him possibly a week or two or to put him to sleep. It was sad watching the owner as this was his last cat and his other cat had suffered from kidney failure as well. He decided the nicest thing to do was to euthanise him.

But the day still goes on and surgery started. I shadowed a female dog spay who also had her dew claw removed and a male cat be neutered. That kitten was a cheeky little boy. He just loved to through everything around. The nurse noticed that he had dirty ears so took a swab to check under the microscope. Turns out he had ear mites. They looked like little crabs that swam around and dug in his ear wax. It was suspected as his ears were not greasy inside.

So yeah, a pretty mixed day. A whole new story tomorrow. How was everyone else's day? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophjeff
Quiet day at the vets today.

Good to hear that the dog was alright, but what a shame about the cat. At least he was euthanised before he began to suffer too badly. Could the blood machine have been a centrifuge by any chance? That spins a blood sample around at high speed to separate the different cells. There are a couple of other machines that are used that I can't remember because I saw them over a year ago and didn't make notes :frown:

I had a pretty quiet day as well. Cleaned the geese out with the power hose, moved the sheep and lambs into new enclosures and did a bit of maintenance like painting (so not very vetty! :tongue: )
What kind of shoes would you guys wear to a mixed animal practice, I start tomorrow and have no idea because I'll be going on a few calls as well as being around the surgery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
What kind of shoes would you guys wear to a mixed animal practice, I start tomorrow and have no idea because I'll be going on a few calls as well as being around the surgery.

I think I'd go for (clean) walking boots, if you have them. Failing that neat-ish trainers.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I think I'd go for (clean) walking boots, if you have them. Failing that neat-ish trainers.

Yeah I thought maybe walking boots, I'm currently trying to dig them out of my shoe cupboard (I'm such a girl) lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
Yeah I thought maybe walking boots, I'm currently trying to dig them out of my shoe cupboard (I'm such a girl) lol

Pshh, real girls have a 'shoe pile' :cool:

I need to buy some more shoes though :tongue: (Read as: 'I need to stop buying crappy shoes from Shoe Zone that break within a month.' Cheakskate 4 lyf :cool: )

I luuurve my walking boots though, they're indestructible! And so damn comfy :love: . I could (and do :colone: ) walk for miles in those.
Bit of an embarrassing question, but do you guys get gifts for your employers/colleagues for wex? I usually get a box of Celebrations and a card telling them how grateful I am for everything they taught me, but I've always been worried that that's a bit OTT :colondollar:
Bit of an embarrassing question, but do you guys get gifts for your employers/colleagues for wex? I usually get a box of Celebrations and a card telling them how grateful I am for everything they taught me, but I've always been worried that that's a bit OTT :colondollar:

I always give them a box of biscuits or chocolates :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
I always give them a box of biscuits or chocolates :smile:

Alrighty :h: I thought I might be coming across as a bit too friendly, but that's put my mind at rest :yep: . Even though I do work for people for free, I get infinitely more out of it than my employers get out of me, so it's nice to give something back, y'know :smile: .
Reply 1455
Hey, I apologise for not being on this, been a bit busy/lazy :frown: aha! Anyway, I have finally got my LA WEx back on track when I got an unexpected email from them, I take it they didn't reply because they were waiting for a more opportune time. Anyway, I have a week booked of that for two weeks time! Yay! :biggrin:

Original post by Angry cucumber
2 weeks lambing working 17 hour + days, put a ridiculous amount of muscle on me at Easter, I went back to the gym when I came back to uni, I could lift substantially more than before and I wasnt exactly weak when I started! Farmers are ridiculously strong as a rule.. it's when you can't get whatever you're lifting off the floor, they come over and stroll of with it and your expression is... :lolwut:

Wow! I know, when I first started at the urban farm I felt a bit helpless and then further embarrassed when they casually strolled over and lifted the bad from the floor as if it were empty. :tongue: And further wow, 2 weeks of over 17 hours a day, eek! Sounds fun but literally painful! :wink:

I don't have that much :s-smilie: . For sheer quantity I might be almost okay but there's no variety there :frown: . I think I'll be a lot more comfortable after I've done my lambing and a bit more SA work but until then I'll be in panic mode. I think I'll try to get a long term SA placement, then lambing in December and/or February if I can, and kennels in March. My two weeks at a rescue centre for next summer is already booked, but I'll look into arranging some zoo and LA work. Then I can spend Year 13 getting extras like labs. There are *no* sheep farms near me (tried Google, asking other farmers/volunteers) so this is going to be really tricky. If worst comes to the worst then I do have some lamby experience (tail docking and castrations, bottle feeding etc), but no actual delivering. Do you think doing some calving instead would be acceptable? Arrrrg, London, why :s-smilie:.

Gosh Craig if you're worried then none of us have any hope at all! :lol:

That's exactly the same as me! I'm trying to variety into focus now whilst trying to dumb down on quantity, although I am not ignoring that factor. :wink: That's why I am worried! I've never heard of lambing in December... Every time I do it, it is during Easter as in late March/early April. Obviously if you cannot find experience in the lambing sector then there is nothing you can do about it, it isn't your fault of course but I'm sure calving would be great to do both in itself and as a substitute! Next summer I think is when I will put most of my variety in through (hopefully) kennels/catteries, lab work, perhaps a zoo and whatever else I can scrounge for! :tongue:

Original post by chaarlotte
Sorry for the delayed reply! I've arranged it for every Saturday beginning on the 24th of August :biggrin: if they don't need me on a Saturday then I can always change to a Sunday, it would just a wee bit trickier taking the train. Haha I'll watch out for that sneaky chicken :P is that the bunny in your profile picture? He/she's really cute :smile: I know! The cages were so much larger than I thought :O but I'm glad the animals are kept in good conditions unlike some zoos that I've visited :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for this delayed one too! :tongue: That's cool then, if you have already arranged they won't reject you! They gave you a mention :wink: Hugh wasn't there but Ben had heard about you. Another chicken is trying to copy him now but his kicks are pathetic :lol: it's like a tickle :tongue:. Yeah that's him! My three-legged little Walter :lol:! And why thank you, he will be pleased to have a compliment :wink: :tongue:. I know I'm very glad too! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1456

I always do :smile: generally just a box of biscuits/chocolates and a card just as you mentioned :wink:. I also do it at Christmas at my long term placements :tongue:! No it's not at all OTT in my eyes, it shows sincerity and gratitude, important veterinary etiquette :lol:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Hey, I apologise for not being on this, been a bit busy/lazy :frown: aha! Anyway, I have finally got my LA WEx back on track when I got an unexpected email from them, I take it they didn't reply because they were waiting for a more opportune time. Anyway, I have a week booked of that for two weeks time! Yay! :biggrin:

That's exactly the same as me! I'm trying to variety into focus now whilst trying to dumb down on quantity, although I am not ignoring that factor. :wink: That's why I am worried! I've never heard of lambing in December... Every time I do it, it is during Easter as in late March/early April. Obviously if you cannot find experience in the lambing sector then there is nothing you can do about it, it isn't your fault of course but I'm sure calving would be great to do both in itself and as a substitute! Next summer I think is when I will put most of my variety in through (hopefully) kennels/catteries, lab work, perhaps a zoo and whatever else I can scrounge for! :tongue:

Glad to hear about the LA work, I'm insanely jealous! :biggrin:

I thought that lambing was a bit later too, but earlier this year I was doing a bit of research for an article on Schmallenberg for my school's science journal (yeah, I know :colondollar:) which seemed to imply that it was earlier. I think the article was written mid January and said that lambing season was already underway :dontknow: . To be honest I'll be happy to get some whenever I can!

EDIT: Here if you want a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20980094

I always do :smile: generally just a box of biscuits/chocolates and a card just as you mentioned :wink:. I also do it at Christmas at my long term placements :tongue:! No it's not at all OTT in my eyes, it shows sincerity and gratitude, important veterinary etiquette :lol:!

I bought some chocolates for the dairy farmer today :mmm: I was gonna do biccies but I thought that they may not do too well in the post. Also why is is so bloody hard to find a card with a picture of a cow on the front :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1458
Glad to hear about the LA work, I'm insanely jealous! :biggrin:

I thought that lambing was a bit later too, but earlier this year I was doing a bit of research for an article on Schmallenberg for my school's science journal (yeah, I know :colondollar:) which seemed to imply that it was earlier. I think the article was written mid January and said that lambing season was already underway :dontknow: . To be honest I'll be happy to get some whenever I can!

EDIT: Here if you want a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20980094

I bought some chocolates for the dairy farmer today :mmm: I was gonna do biccies but I thought that they may not do too well in the post. Also why is is so bloody hard to find a card with a picture of a cow on the front :tongue:

I see, I suppose it really just varies from farm to farm throughout the country. That's cool :smile:, I wish our school had something like that but I know if it was even thought about the vague idea would crash and burn :frown:. Science isn't something that is celebrated throughout many pupils in my school, there is far too much focus on music and drama despite the high unlikelihood that anyone could actually get a career through it!

This talk of food is making me hungry! :tongue: I know animal cards are a pain to find! I do enjoy a good pun about "moo beginnings" and such! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see, I suppose it really just varies from farm to farm throughout the country. That's cool :smile:, I wish our school had something like that but I know if it was even thought about the vague idea would crash and burn :frown:. Science isn't something that is celebrated throughout many pupils in my school, there is far too much focus on music and drama despite the high unlikelihood that anyone could actually get a career through it!

This talk of food is making me hungry! :tongue: I know animal cards are a pain to find! I do enjoy a good pun about "moo beginnings" and such! :tongue:

I started the science journal at my school, well, sort of, anyway :tongue: . Einstein's Army was created by students a few years above me at school, but it died out when the contributors went off to university and such. When I was in year 9 my biology teacher was telling me about it, and I expressed an interest in starting it back up again, so I became chief editor :tongue: . Basically I just organise meetings, proofread submissions from the contributors and patch it together on Publisher. We bought out a couple of issues, but I'll admit that it has been waning a bit, which I'll admit is mostly my fault. I'm hoping to do a complete revamp next year though, with set days/times for meetings so that everyone knows what's going on.

That's besides the point, what I meant was that you could start one up if you were interested. At my school it tends to be the younger kids that are interested (year 9s mainly), but that's not a problem because they're perfectly able. :smile:

When one of the farmers at my place left (:emo:) we got him a card saying 'We herd you're mooving to new pastures', which I thought was brilliant :biggrin:

I just ate an entire pack of Tangfastics :emo: . I can't be blamed for this; whoever made them half price at Wilkinsons is to blame.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending