The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by midnightgurl12
Hey guys!

Can you look at my combination and tell me if it's too hard?

English HL
History HL
Biology HL

Math SL
Chem SL or Music HL
Mandarin SL

I want to study econ or arts in uni, so I'm not sure if I should take 2 sciences...which one is harder: Chem SL or Music HL? I've played piano for 10 years, so i THINK I should be okay for music, but since it's a group 6, it's so subjective, and my main goal is to get a high mark.
Are my subjects too tough?

Please help guys!

Your subjects aren't easy. Again, like the previous poster said, it depends on your aptitude for these subjects. For example, for people who are good at math/sci subjects, SL Math and Chem would be quite manageable. I wouldn't recommend Music HL though, because it's very subjective like you said, and because it's very very hard to get a 7 in (if that's what you are aiming for).

In terms of taking both HL Bio and History, that's a bit tough. Both require lots of memorization, and discipline with note-taking.

What universities are you looking at? And what point total are you aiming for?
There is a great guide on choosing subjects here: http://ibpal.com/ib_tips
Original post by db24
Your subjects aren't easy. Again, like the previous poster said, it depends on your aptitude for these subjects. For example, for people who are good at math/sci subjects, SL Math and Chem would be quite manageable. I wouldn't recommend Music HL though, because it's very subjective like you said, and because it's very very hard to get a 7 in (if that's what you are aiming for).

In terms of taking both HL Bio and History, that's a bit tough. Both require lots of memorization, and discipline with note-taking.

What universities are you looking at? And what point total are you aiming for?

Hi! Yes, I did decide to go with Chem SL in the end. I think in terms of memory, I am okay/pretty good at just plain memorization. I am a little worried about doing both Biology and History together though, do you know anyone who did that? How did they cope?
For universities, I'm thinking of U.S. ones like maybe Berkeley, Vanderbilt, lib.arts colleges, etc. I'm also thinking about Canadian ones such as UBC, Queen's, maybe McGill? I think most of those school have a cut-off of 32 points or something, so that's I guess my lowest aim. If possible, of course I'd want above 40 :smile: How likely do you think that's going to happen for someone who has a 92% average in grade 10?
Reply 1163
Original post by midnightgurl12
Hi! Yes, I did decide to go with Chem SL in the end. I think in terms of memory, I am okay/pretty good at just plain memorization. I am a little worried about doing both Biology and History together though, do you know anyone who did that? How did they cope?
For universities, I'm thinking of U.S. ones like maybe Berkeley, Vanderbilt, lib.arts colleges, etc. I'm also thinking about Canadian ones such as UBC, Queen's, maybe McGill? I think most of those school have a cut-off of 32 points or something, so that's I guess my lowest aim. If possible, of course I'd want above 40 :smile: How likely do you think that's going to happen for someone who has a 92% average in grade 10?

Hey so I did have several friends who took HL History and Bio. They managed, it was just a lot more work in my opinion. Schools like Vanderbilt and many of the good lib arts schools will want 35+, though it does depend if you're American to begin with. International applicants need higher scores (like me yay). Schools like Berk want prob high 30s or low 40s; if you live in Cali though, it's aloooot easier :frown:

I'm from Canada, and went to school in Ontario so I know that Canadian schools aren't too picky about high IB scores. Where do you go to school?

Also, it is hard to judge how you're gonna do with the IB based on grade 10 marks.
Original post by db24
Hey so I did have several friends who took HL History and Bio. They managed, it was just a lot more work in my opinion. Schools like Vanderbilt and many of the good lib arts schools will want 35+, though it does depend if you're American to begin with. International applicants need higher scores (like me yay). Schools like Berk want prob high 30s or low 40s; if you live in Cali though, it's aloooot easier :frown:

I'm from Canada, and went to school in Ontario so I know that Canadian schools aren't too picky about high IB scores. Where do you go to school?

Also, it is hard to judge how you're gonna do with the IB based on grade 10 marks.

Hi, thank you so much for replying again!
I also go to school in Canada yay! (Alberta) If U.S. doesn't work out, I'm also considering Ontario schools :smile:
Which uni do you go to? (And what was your IB score? *only answer if you want*)
:smile:
Reply 1165
Hello everyone! First post on TSR!

I start the IB DP very soon , aspiring to study either Philosophy Politics and Economics (PPE) or Business / Law , still deciding basically

My subject choices are
Higher level ; History , English , Economics
Standard level ; Maths , Bio , French

what do you think of my subject choices?
Original post by Maazin
Hello everyone! First post on TSR!

I start the IB DP very soon , aspiring to study either Philosophy Politics and Economics (PPE) or Business / Law , still deciding basically

My subject choices are
Higher level ; History , English , Economics
Standard level ; Maths , Bio , French

what do you think of my subject choices?

Your subjects look fine for law. History is great for Law and Economics will prepare you for Business. Your combination is not too hard either, so you'll probably be fine.
Hi!! So I'm choosing subjects for IB, and I thought maybe you guys could help me decide, or suggest any changes. I want to go in the direction of engineering or something environmental afterwards. So far my choices are:

HL
Physics
Chemistry
English Lang/Lit

SL
Math
Spanish ab initio
Environmental systems

Would this be ok? Or is Math HL definitely required? I took additional maths at IGCSE but I don't think I'm capable of doing it at HL, its my main worry.
Does Environmental Systems count as your humanity from Group 3?

Other than that, your subject choices seem fine to me for the direction you're headed in for university. The requirement of HL Maths depends entirely on which universities/courses you're applying for. Nobody can give you a definitive answer on that that until you know which course you'd like to pursue at university.
Reply 1169
Original post by kickprevails
Hi!! So I'm choosing subjects for IB, and I thought maybe you guys could help me decide, or suggest any changes. I want to go in the direction of engineering or something environmental afterwards. So far my choices are:

HL
Physics
Chemistry
English Lang/Lit

SL
Math
Spanish ab initio
Environmental systems

Would this be ok? Or is Math HL definitely required? I took additional maths at IGCSE but I don't think I'm capable of doing it at HL, its my main worry.

For Engineering Maths HL would definitely be preferred. Check uni websites to see if it is absolutely essential though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all! I'm starting IB soon and i really hope i've chosen a good set of subjects. Please feel free to post your views on my subjects.

my subjects are: HL - Economics, English, Psychology
SL - Math, Biology and Spanish ab initio.

now, i want to do psychology and literature further. My main question is whether i should take english literature, or english language + literature. Secondly, i have not studied eco before and was wondering if doing it at HL is a good decision.

Original post by kickprevails

HL
Physics
Chemistry
English Lang/Lit

SL
Math
Spanish ab initio
Environmental systems

Well, as far as i have heard, yes, HL math is required. When i was seeing what level of math to take on the ibo website under math HL it said meant for students considering Engineering or Math for further studies. And im sure if you work hard you would be able to get a 6 at least:smile: It is alot of work, but its your dream to do engineering that will get you there!

Im sure its because you love english that you have taken HL but i say you switch math and english!

Hope this was of help to you.
Original post by Lonelieststar109
Hi all! I'm starting IB soon and i really hope i've chosen a good set of subjects. Please feel free to post your views on my subjects.

my subjects are: HL - Economics, English, Psychology
SL - Math, Biology and Spanish ab initio.

now, i want to do psychology and literature further. My main question is whether i should take english literature, or english language + literature. Secondly, i have not studied eco before and was wondering if doing it at HL is a good decision.

Firstly, take Literature, it's much more rigorous than Lang Lit (lang lit replaced language A2 which was for near natives)
Secondly, Econ HL assumes no prior knowledge of economics.
Original post by Calllu-m
Firstly, take Literature, it's much more rigorous than Lang Lit (lang lit replaced language A2 which was for near natives)

Great. Thanks for the help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calllu-m

Thank god. Coz i was really looking forward to economics:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1175
Hi :smile: so I'm in the 10 grade, I have to decide on IB subjects for next year.
I think I'm going with
English HL
french SL/hl
Economics/ history HL/sl
business /psychology Hl
Biology sl
Math SL

I want to do either business or law after school. Do I need any specific subjects? I've heard that business and management is looked down on. Do I need history for law? Also, is there any way I could drop a science and take an extra group 3 subject. I can't decide between business, Eco, psychology and history. I've done business and Eco for the past three years, but psychology and history sound interesting. Can u explain to me which subject will be the best option?
Reply 1176
anyone?????????:confused:
Reply 1177
I work in an IB school, be very careful about applying for economics without HL maths. I'm not sure about PPE however so suggest you check the exact requirements of the universities that interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning on taking:

French HL
German HL
English Literature HL
History SL
Maths SL
Biology SL

BUT I haven't got a GCSE in French as I only learnt it for two years at secondary school. I have done Italian at GCSE as well as German so my teacher thinks I will pick up French quickly as I can pick up new languages well, but I'm worried that it'll be too difficult as it's not ab initio? Should I take French?
Reply 1179
If you are attempting French B at HL you should have at least the equivalent of GCSE/IGCSE French grade A, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending