The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Hi everyone :smile: I'm doing a placement at a dairy farm this week, it's really nice. Have learnt lots already even though it's only been two days! Milking is really fun but very dirty :biggrin: This is my first placement (I feel so behind lol, most of you have done like 20 weeks already aha) and I'm aiming to get about 10 weeks, but I also have a job at a stables and have worked at a city farm previously so that will add up I suppose. Does anyone think that work experience at Pets at Home would be a good idea? Do you there would be much in the way of animal handling? I was also thinking about asking my local police station as they have a stables there for the police horses. What A level subjects is everyone doing?
Original post by ABC05
Hi everyone :smile: I'm doing a placement at a dairy farm this week, it's really nice. Have learnt lots already even though it's only been two days! Milking is really fun but very dirty :biggrin: This is my first placement (I feel so behind lol, most of you have done like 20 weeks already aha) and I'm aiming to get about 10 weeks, but I also have a job at a stables and have worked at a city farm previously so that will add up I suppose. Does anyone think that work experience at Pets at Home would be a good idea? Do you there would be much in the way of animal handling? I was also thinking about asking my local police station as they have a stables there for the police horses. What A level subjects is everyone doing?

Milking is great fun isn't it :biggrin: ! But 'messy' doesn't even begin to cover it :lol:! 10 weeks should be fine as you've met Liverpool's minimum, just make sure you make loads of notes so you have plenty to talk about at interviews :biggrin: !

I did a week at Pets at Home last July. It was the first placement I ever did, actually. Sadly I'm afraid that I didn't get to do much animal handling, or even anything related to animals. The vast majority of my time was spent 'fronting up' shelves, i.e. making them look neat and tidy after customers had removed stock. I also built displays (cat tree things etc), spent some time at the checkout working the till, and stocked shelves in the morning. In all honesty I wouldn't say that I learnt anything vet-related, but that's not to say that it wasn't worthwhile experience. I got to speak to customers, developing my confidence in the process, a trait that vets require. I had to follow instructions (e.g. when building cages and being taught how to use the till), and ability to follow instructions would be very important for a vet. I learned to use my initiative by actively searching for jobs that needed doing (e.g. walking round checking that all shelves were neat). Perhaps I'm clutching at straws here, but if nothing else at least I can say that I've experienced an animal-related job other than being a vet, and I can also say that working in a pet shop does not appeal to me as much as being a vet does.

So, to answer your question; sure it would be a good idea, but if I were you I'd focus on the core placements first. I'd make working at a small animal vet a priority, if you haven't done that yet. My placement at Pets at Home was relatively easy to get compared to others that I've done, I didn't need to write in or anything. I just turned up and asked, they accepted everyone who asked :tongue:, so you could always squeeze this in a bit later, closer to application time. Police station sounds good as well. It will definitely make you stand out, but again, I'd focus on the more important places first, especially seeing as you already have equine experience.

I've already told you my A-Levels via PM, but for the benefit of any thread stalkers out there; biology, chemistry, maths and physics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1462
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Milking is great fun isn't it :biggrin: ! But 'messy' doesn't even begin to cover it :lol:! 10 weeks should be fine as you've met Liverpool's minimum, just make sure you make loads of notes so you have plenty to talk about at interviews :biggrin: !

I did a week at Pets at Home last July. It was the first placement I ever did, actually. Sadly I'm afraid that I didn't get to do much animal handling, or even anything related to animals. The vast majority of my time was spent 'fronting up' shelves, i.e. making them look neat and tidy after customers had removed stock. I also built displays (cat tree things etc), spent some time at the checkout working the till, and stocked shelves in the morning. In all honesty I wouldn't say that I learnt anything vet-related, but that's not to say that it wasn't worthwhile experience. I got to speak to customers, developing my confidence in the process, a trait that vets require. I had to follow instructions (e.g. when building cages and being taught how to use the till), and ability to follow instructions would be very important for a vet. I learned to use my initiative by actively searching for jobs that needed doing (e.g. walking round checking that all shelves were neat). Perhaps I'm clutching at straws here, but if nothing else at least I can say that I've experienced an animal-related job other than being a vet, and I can also say that working in a pet shop does not appeal to me as much as being a vet does.

So, to answer your question; sure it would be a good idea, but if I were you I'd focus on the core placements first. I'd make working at a small animal vet a priority, if you haven't done that yet. My placement at Pets at Home was relatively easy to get compared to others that I've done, I didn't need to write in or anything. I just turned up and asked, they accepted everyone who asked :tongue:, so you could always squeeze this in a bit later, closer to application time. Police station sounds good as well. It will definitely make you stand out, but again, I'd focus on the more important places first, especially seeing as you already have equine experience.

I've already told you my A-Levels via PM, but for the benefit of any thread stalkers out there; biology, chemistry, maths and physics.
Thanks for that interesting info! I was worried about there not being much animal handling, more just doing shop type stuff, but yeah maybe I'll look into after I've got my core stuff like lambing, kennels etc :smile: What do you think the key placements are? I've got (well I've booked) dairy, LA and SA, I'm guessing I need to do lambing and kennels but what else? I was trying to brainstorm ideas the other day.
Original post by ABC05
Thanks for that interesting info! I was worried about there not being much animal handling, more just doing shop type stuff, but yeah maybe I'll look into after I've got my core stuff like lambing, kennels etc :smile: What do you think the key placements are? I've got (well I've booked) dairy, LA and SA, I'm guessing I need to do lambing and kennels but what else? I was trying to brainstorm ideas the other day.

I did do a bit of cleaning on my last day, but I don't think I ever actually held an animal :tongue: .

This is just me thinking aloud, but I think:
Essentials:
-Small animal vet
-Stables
-Kennel/cattery
-Lambing
-Farm of some sort (in particular dairy)

Highly desirable:
-Large animal vet
-Animal rescue centre
-Another farm (e.g. poultry, pigs)
-Urban farm if the above is not possible
-Abattoir?
-Labs?

There's a thread at the top of the forum, the 'Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible', which is a wealth of information :smile: .
Remember for liverpool you definately need time in two different vet practices :smile:
Original post by skatealexia
Remember for liverpool you definately need time in two different vet practices :smile:

Thanks :smile: Do these have to be different types of practice or can you get away with one (e.g. two SA practices as opposed to SA and LA). Obviously getting a variety would be preferable, but I'm looking at absolute minimums.
Thanks :smile: Do these have to be different types of practice or can you get away with one (e.g. two SA practices as opposed to SA and LA). Obviously getting a variety would be preferable, but I'm looking at absolute minimums.

I believe two different SA is fine!
I believe two different SA is fine!

Cheers :h:
Reply 1468

Ah OK, thanks for that. You're always so useful! :biggrin:
Original post by ABC05
Ah OK, thanks for that. You're always so useful! :biggrin:

Thanks ha. I'm officially a fourth year vet student now :cool:. How times fly. I need to change my signature..
Reply 1470
I started the science journal at my school, well, sort of, anyway :tongue: . Einstein's Army was created by students a few years above me at school, but it died out when the contributors went off to university and such. When I was in year 9 my biology teacher was telling me about it, and I expressed an interest in starting it back up again, so I became chief editor :tongue: . Basically I just organise meetings, proofread submissions from the contributors and patch it together on Publisher. We bought out a couple of issues, but I'll admit that it has been waning a bit, which I'll admit is mostly my fault. I'm hoping to do a complete revamp next year though, with set days/times for meetings so that everyone knows what's going on.

That's besides the point, what I meant was that you could start one up if you were interested. At my school it tends to be the younger kids that are interested (year 9s mainly), but that's not a problem because they're perfectly able. :smile:

When one of the farmers at my place left (:emo:) we got him a card saying 'We herd you're mooving to new pastures', which I thought was brilliant :biggrin:

I just ate an entire pack of Tangfastics :emo: . I can't be blamed for this; whoever made them half price at Wilkinsons is to blame.

That sounds so cool but no one would take it seriously at my school, the school 'newspaper' used to occasionally come round in first year but it has disappeared and remains elusive - its like the illuminati. :tongue: but I'm glad there are people that share a common passion for science, if I were attending your school I would most definitely join! :wink:

I think I remember you saying that, that's hilarious! Haha, I love those animal pun cards :lol:!

B*tch please, I ate a huge dairy milk bar the other day :lol: I don't do that regularly I swear :tongue:! I agree shop pricing makes us gluttonous :lol:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
That sounds so cool but no one would take it seriously at my school, the school 'newspaper' used to occasionally come round in first year but it has disappeared and remains elusive - its like the illuminati. :tongue: but I'm glad there are people that share a common passion for science, if I were attending your school I would most definitely join! :wink:

I think I remember you saying that, that's hilarious! Haha, I love those animal pun cards :lol:!

B*tch please, I ate a huge dairy milk bar the other day :lol: I don't do that regularly I swear :tongue:! I agree shop pricing makes us gluttonous :lol:!

We have a school newspaper but it's only open to year 10s :unimpressed: . And it was only created when I was in year 11. They have a website and everything.

They're so bad and so good at the same time :teehee: I was going to get one that said 'Thank ewe', but I settled for one with a purdy pictures of fields and stuff instead :h:

I went to Cadburyworld last year and they had mahoosive bars of Dairy Milk for £10. I didn't buy it at the time (bought a **** tonne of Creme Eggs instead :mmm: ), but I saw that the same bar is £8 in Wilko, and I was very tempted :mmm: .
Reply 1472
Original post by ABC05

Dairy farms are great!! And very messy but that just adds to the fun who wouldn't want to bathe in bovine urine, faeces, saliva and milk! :tongue: I agree with LTC about Pets at Home although I haven't worked there so I couldn't really judge! The police horse work sounds great if you have the time to do it you should do so just, as previously mentioned, make sure you have completed the essentials.

I'm doing highers: English, maths, chemistry, biology and geography :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1473
Dairy farms are great!! And very messy but that just adds to the fun who wouldn't want to bathe in bovine urine, faeces, saliva and milk! :tongue: I agree with LTC about Pets at Home although I haven't worked there so I couldn't really judge! The police horse work sounds great if you have the time to do it you should do so just, as previously mentioned, make sure you have completed the essentials.

I'm doing highers: English, maths, chemistry, biology and geography :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are! I got splattered in the face with faeces today...more than once...oh well, at least it's all organic! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
They are! I got splattered in the face with faeces today...more than once...oh well, at least it's all organic! :biggrin:

You're not a true pro until you have it in your hair :cool: :wink:
Reply 1475
Are any of you lot thinking of applying to Surrey? If I get a b in maths gcse then I'll have to apply to it instead of Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Are any of you lot thinking of applying to Surrey? If I get a b in maths gcse then I'll have to apply to it instead of Bristol.

In my opinion it's a bit risky being Surrey's second ever cohort for the course, so I don't think I'll be applying there. I have heard good things from people who have attended open days, though, so don't let me put you off :smile: ! Fortunately I did my maths GCSEs a while back, it's just the other subjects I'm worried about! I don't know how many students will be in the second intake, but in 2014 only 25 applicants are being accepted, and there's no way I'd be able to be in the top 25 out of hundreds of apps!

It's a bit of a shame that there are eight vet schools now :redface: . Before, when there were only seven, all apps who applied to four vet schools would have at least one in common (if that makes sense), but now we can have completely different choices to everyone else. I just hope there's enough jobs to go round at the end!
Reply 1477
I think I read somewhere that they're taking 100 in 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, that's slightly better. Maybe I'll consider my chances closer to the time. I'll see if I can get to the open day next year.

Sorry for this delayed one too! :tongue: That's cool then, if you have already arranged they won't reject you! They gave you a mention :wink: Hugh wasn't there but Ben had heard about you. Another chicken is trying to copy him now but his kicks are pathetic :lol: it's like a tickle :tongue:. Yeah that's him! My three-legged little Walter :lol:! And why thank you, he will be pleased to have a compliment :wink: :tongue:. I know I'm very glad too! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's cool :smile: haha no idea who Ben is but I guess I'll find out in due course! Aw rabbits are so cute, I've never worked with them or had one before so I'm really looking forward to it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending