The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ledleyking123
Thiago rumours picked up
Again today saying he will
Be announced Friday. Barca fans saying hes calling it a day.

Who would you guys look for if thiago and Strootman aren't signed? I would want Fellani.

Before January, Sven Bender from Borussia Dortmund. However, he signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2017, so the price tag would be too high.

Now, if we couldn't get Thiago/Strootman, I'd want Asier Illarramendi from Real Sociedad. He would be pretty cheap too I'd guess.

Here's a video of him;

Original post by Manchester United
Before January, Sven Bender from Borussia Dortmund. However, he signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2017, so the price tag would be too high.

Now, if we couldn't get Thiago/Strootman, I'd want Asier Illarramendi from Real Sociedad. He would be pretty cheap too I'd guess.

Here's a video of him;

Illarramendi looks pretty good. We were linked to him a while back and I remember people comparing him to xabi alonso
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Illarramendi looks pretty good. We were linked to him a while back and I remember people comparing him to xabi alonso

Yeah I heard Arsenal were after him. He's a fantastic talent and if I were a Premiership manager, he would be the player I'd try and sign. He makes the simple pass and the manoeuvre at the end of that video (7:15) was beautiful.

I can see him being the next Spanish holding midfielder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Why not Lars Bender, until recently he was always considered the better of the two, would probably be cheaper with Dortmunds current position too. Arsenal are reported to be in for him around the £20m mark.
We need to act quick
Original post by doggyfizzel
Why not Lars Bender, until recently he was always considered the better of the two, would probably be cheaper with Dortmunds current position too. Arsenal are reported to be in for him around the £20m mark.

Hmm, I must admit that I don't watch a lot of German football, but I always thought Sven>Lars.

But with Sven being unavailable, I guess Lars would be a great option.

This has got me thinking, how good is Thiago's brother? :tongue:
Original post by doggyfizzel

Leverkusen said they ain't selling at any price. Gundogan a good option if we could as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5807
Any early predictions for where we'll finish this season? I reckon we can still win the title.
Original post by Weaving
Any early predictions for where we'll finish this season? I reckon we can still win the title.

Without signings? 1st (Unless Carrick gets injured or Chelsea spend very big)
With signings? 1st.
Reply 5809
Without signings? 1st (Unless Carrick gets injured or Chelsea spend very big)
With signings? 1st.

I'm fearful that Chelsea and Man City will spend big, in which case there's not much we can do about it. If we are not to sign any more players, we almost certainly need Rooney. But if he doesn't want to play for us, we'll just have to let him go.
Original post by Weaving
I'm fearful that Chelsea and Man City will spend big, in which case there's not much we can do about it. If we are not to sign any more players, we almost certainly need Rooney. But if he doesn't want to play for us, we'll just have to let him go.

According to the papers, Rooney is meant to be meeting with David Moyes tomorrow to discuss his future and on what terms. I think Rooney will stay. He doesn't suit any other club.

I actually don't fear Manchester City this season. They've made two big signings so far, but they don't scare me. Chelsea however, could be extremely dangerous with Mourinho and Abramovich's cheque book.

I seriously hope neither City or Chelsea sign Lewandowski.
Reply 5811
According to the papers, Rooney is meant to be meeting with David Moyes tomorrow to discuss his future and on what terms. I think Rooney will stay. He doesn't suit any other club.

I actually don't fear Manchester City this season. They've made two big signings so far, but they don't scare me. Chelsea however, could be extremely dangerous with Mourinho and Abramovich's cheque book.

To be fair, you do make a good point - but for some reason I think he might actually move - especially given the reasons he's alleged to have provided. We'll see though.

The reason why City weren't a force last season was obviously because of their poor signings. Hopefully they have a fairly unproductive summer this time round too.

Yeah I think Chelsea look to be their biggest threat. I think even Schurlle will be on the bench seeing as they have Mata, Oscar and Hazard (who unfortunately have improved quite a lot) and look dangerous against any team. If they got Lewandowski or Cavani they could be lethal.
Reading that no United manager has won a trophy in their first two years (on the Mail website) so Moyes, I'm confident, will end that record and pick up a trophy. It'd be nice to win the FA Cup under his stewardship - a trophy he hasn't won but we haven't for ages. But obviously, any major trophy would be amazing.

Rooney - it's tough to judge what he's thinking. Some papers (Mirror) say he is ready to stay and Moyes has "assured" him he won't be dropped for the big games (which I doubt as it sounds very un-like Moyes to say that) and others (MEN) saying he wants out. I'd like him to stay but a new contract to be sorted out next summer depending on how he does this season. His agent will be in the meeting so no doubt wanting the same terms for his client.

I feel Chelsea might nab the title - Mourinho's experience is key but our players' experience might help us push them/retain our crown.
Original post by Weaving

2nd behind Chelsea.

If we get Thiago and another fairly big signing, first.
Miguel Delaney a sports journalist for ESPN has stated that the Thiago deal is very close and if everything goes to plan then he could be unveiled at Moyes' first press conference on Friday.
Reply 5815
Original post by manchesterunited15
2nd behind Chelsea.

If we get Thiago and another fairly big signing, first.

Yeah he'll be a great buy. We're looking more likely than Barca to snap him up.
2nd. Even with high profile signings, I don't think Moyes will win it in his first year.

Maybe FA cup winners, QF of CL and 2nd in the league.

But we need to overhaul midfield. Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gah, SAF is a legend for leaving our club in such a great position. To think of all the talent (De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Rafael, Lingard, Henriquez, Powell, Cleverley, Welbeck, Zaha, Keane, Varela and even Kagawa) he brought in, knowing that it would be another manager that would 'harvest the crop'.

I realise I'm stating the obvious but he's a legend!

I think Moyes has adopted the perfect job because of this and the fact that our club is not a hire & fire type. Hopefully we (the fans and the board) will give Moyes plenty of time to succeed.

The three things I'd like to see Moyes do;

1) Try to keep Rooney. But if Rooney wants to go, replace him.
2) Preferably keep Evra, but failing that, buy Baines.
3) Sign Thiago.
Reply 5818

Navas could be an asset to them tbh but I can't help but think they've overpaid for Fernandinho, he's good but does he offer them anything Silva doesn't?

Or do they play different positions?
Reply 5819
Original post by zKlown
Navas could be an asset to them tbh but I can't help but think they've overpaid for Fernandinho, he's good but does he offer them anything Silva doesn't?

Or do they play different positions?

He plays deeper than Silva, think he might have been signed to replace Barry as Toure's midfield partner.

Latest