The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kvitova one game away from going out of the Championships.. anything can happen in this tournament.

Edit: And gone. The fairytale continues for Flipkens - she has a great shot at making her first ever Slam final now.
(edited 10 years ago)
I love how this thread just dies when there's no men's singles on.
BBC2 now, senior doubles
Comical viewing
John Mcenroe being hilarious as usual.
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro and Murray on center tomorrow.

Reminding myself of what Verdasco can do...

[video="youtube;GgaVNk7skkQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GgaVNk7skkQ[/video]

From what I've seen Verdasco is probably playing his best tennis since 2010. He's been coming into the net quite a bit and his movement from back to front has been exceptional. He hasn't really had a tough route through though so it's difficult to gauge just how well he's been playing but he'll certainly ask different questions than Murray has been asked so far. I expect Murray to lose his first set of the tournament.
Original post by TheMagicRat
From what I've seen Verdasco is probably playing his best tennis since 2010. He's been coming into the net quite a bit and his movement from back to front has been exceptional. He hasn't really had a tough route through though so it's difficult to gauge just how well he's been playing but he'll certainly ask different questions than Murray has been asked so far. I expect Murray to lose his first set of the tournament.

I've only seen him against Gulbis, who he beat comprehensively. He's looking very confident so far, serving well so if he plays with abandon like 2009 he could push Murray.
Reply 4786
Original post by C-Dawg
Wow that's just confused me in regards to all my Chinese friends :s-smilie:

Nothing to it, just the surname is the first part of the name in Chinese.
Reply 4787
Radwanska - Li Na was such a brilliant game today... I think Radwanska really deserves to win this year, she's done so well and plays unbelievable tennis at times
I take back what I said about the women, great matches today. And it was nice to see that not every female player has to scream every time they hit the ball. Probably the quietest grand slam QFs in a long time.
Reply 4789
Original post by Student2806
I take back what I said about the women, great matches today. And it was nice to see that not every female player has to scream every time they hit the ball. Probably the quietest grand slam QFs in a long time.

Yeah but the Radwanska game did get a bit quiet especially considering it was on centre court. At least a "Come on" once in a while would've sufficed :smile:
Original post by Rakas21
I'd love to see Tomic play his best again because i love his forehand and he can slice fairly well as well as serve but i'm not sure whether his mental game has really improved. He's got a bad draw though from now playing Gasquet, Berdych and then Djokovic if he survives the first two.

Yes this is very overdue sorry.
Yes I love Tomic for those reasons as well and I like how he just messes with his opponents with the angles and the slow rhythm and then just let's rip with a massive forehand. His defensive play is quite good as well
As for his mental game partly his recent struggles are probably a lot due to everything that is happening with his dad and until that is resolved it will be a shadow hanging over him. His mental ga e this tournament has improved I remember this year I think Miami or IW he played Murray and after losing a close first set he just started berating himself continuously and it didn't even feel he was really trying after that I think that was a low point in terms of his mental game. In Wimbledon he performed really well I thought especially in the tight Gasquet matc. In the Berdych match, he had chances but Berdych just like a top player found a way to get through. Hopefully this mental improvement we have seen in Wimbledon will continue especially in smaller tournaments where he needs to start performing to his capabilities to pick up ranking points and start getting seeded in GSs
Reply 4791
If the 3rd QF was Federer, Nadal, today would be an amazing day of tennis.

It's still looking pretty good though and I can see all 4 matches going with seedings.
Stephens vs Bartoli : At times it was a joke but Glad Bartoli is through live her fighting spirit

Kvitova vs Flipkens : Actually started crying at the end of that match as felt so sorry for Kvitova I mean just she is so talented and could win so many GSs if she was just a bit more consistent. I mean that smash by her in the3rd set which gave Flipkens the break :frown: But amazing by Flipkens let's see when this fairytale will end

Didn't see the Lisicki match but glad she is through and so is her smile :smile:

Radwanska-Li: Just WOW. I mean that was such a fantastic match with so ,any momentum changes. I think that was my favourite match of the championship so far. I like both players a lot so really was pretty neutral but still felt gutted for Na especially with that ace which was mistakenly called out on her SP in the first set which she didn't challenge. Could very well have been in the semis if she had

Men's QF thoughts:

Djokovic vs Berdych: Match of the day, really surprised that it isn't on centre. Tbh Djokovics first real challenge of the tournament. I think if Berdych wins the first set the upset is very likely.Looking forward to it

Kubot vs Janowicz: If Janowicz plays like he did against Almagro then don't think Kubot will be able to really get into this match

Delpotro vs Ferrer: I know normally Delpotro gets routed by Ferrer but Ferrer has not been playing his best tennis and Delpotro has been slicing his way through his opponents. So hope( as Delpotro deserves this after all the injuries and if Djokovic does get through and Ferrer beats Delpotro a pretty one sided semi will probably take place)and do think Delpotro will win

Murray vs Verdasco: This will be a very tough match for Murray he can't let slip ups like he did against Youhzny in the 2nd happen. Needs to play near his best tennis is he does he should get through hopefully
Right, time to make predictions :tongue:

1) Murray vs Verdasco

I'm saying Murray for this one

2) Del Potro vs Ferrer

Really not sure on this one. Only because I think Del Potro has a better chance against Djokovic will I say Del Potro.

3)Kubot vs Jancowiz

I predict Jancowiz to win.

4)Djokovic vs Berdych

I'm going to edge Djokovic on this one, because of how well he is playing.

I bet I'm wrong on more than one of these. There are never certainties.
Murray to win in 4 and Djokovic to win in 5
Reply 4795
Hearing news that both Ferrer and Del Potro are injured but Ferrer's seems to be more serious.
Reply 4796
I'm surprised people are even giving Berdych a chance against Nole. I'll be surprised if he gets a set tbh.
I'm going with
Murray
Janowicz
DelPo(hopefully)
Nole (would be happy to be proved wrong)
Reply 4797
Original post by notnek
Hearing news that both Ferrer and Del Potro are injured but Ferrer's seems to be more serious.

Yeah, hes been having injections in his ankle after he slipped in one of his matches. (Ferrer, that is)
Reply 4798
...which match do I watch? :indiff:
Reply 4799
Original post by Xotol
...which match do I watch? :indiff:

I'm going Berdych/Djokovic. Hoping for an upset!

Latest