The Student Room Group

If you became a Dr (medical or otherwise) - would you call yourself Dr?

Just how insistent would you be that you were called Dr, if someone called you Mr/Ms/John would it annoy you?

Scroll to see replies

If someone called me Mr at a party or something I wouldn't call them out on it. But on forms and the like I'd put Dr.
I wouldn't mind that much, but I'd really enjoy being called doctor.
Original post by theOldBean
If someone called me Mr at a party or something I wouldn't call them out on it. But on forms and the like I'd put Dr.

This^
Reply 4
My father has a PHD and therefore is officially a doctor, but he prefers to be called Mr for some reason
Reply 5
work your ass off to be a doctor then get called mr

nope.jpg

na just kidding, don't give a **** really :wink:
I'm not really sure.

As above, I might use it on forms etc, but not in social situations. I don't really think it matters either way.
Reply 7
Depends on the person, if they were trying to talk down to me and they referred to me as Mr, I would correct them hastily.

However I think that insisting that people call you Dr comes across as patronizing. Mainly because it is...
Reply 8
Original post by theOldBean

I intend to do this.
Wait: This is what i'd be like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxEB-hZ_Ck
Skip to 1:10 for the relevant bit if you must, but the entire clip is worth watching.
Original post by Kinkerz
I intend to do this.

You intend to call me Mr at a party? :P

Apologies for double posting.
It seems a shame to work for the title and then not use it. Of course, it would be preposterous and pretentious to call people out on it.
I would take the title 'Dr', but I'd prefer to be called by my first name in any situation really, and I wouldn't really mind if people got it wrong. I have friends who can't pronounce my name, I generally let these things slide now! Uni made me stop caring about people not being able to pronounce my name. :tongue:
I wouldn't bother, especially in social situations; I mean, in most social situations that I'll find myself in people would use first names, not even Mr or Mrs, etc.

I wouldn't put it on a form. I don't see the need, and it would lead to people in call centres or receptionists wondering if they should call me Dr xx or Mr xx. I would most consciously avoid it in any situation where it would lead people to expect that I were a medical doctor (e.g. signing up for a GP).

The only place that I would use it would be within the university structure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Now I am a Dr but I never introduce myself as Dr...... but i say only my name, if I am called as a Dr i dont mind it either.
But then you could say 'Hello, I'm the Doctor!'

Sorry, couldn't resist :P
I have a teacher who has a PhD, and he goes nuts if someone calls him Mr. If I had worked that hard to gain a PhD I would want to be recognised for it in general, but I wouldn't be annoyed if someone didn't call me that.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Just how insistent would you be that you were called Dr, if someone called you Mr/Ms/John would it annoy you?

If I'm on the phone to the electricity company and the adviser who I get put through to says "Hi there Mr Democracy, how may I help you today?", I'm not going to correct him/her on it - that would strike me as a pretty insecure thing to do :p:

But when filling out forms etc? Yeah I would put Dr, it would be my title.

Original post by KingMessi
It seems a shame to work for the title and then not use it. Of course, it would be preposterous and pretentious to call people out on it.

Surgeons pride themselves on reverting back Mr or Miss actually :biggrin:
Original post by Tpx
I wouldn't bother, especially in social situations; I mean, in most social situations that I'll find myself in people would use first names, not even Mr or Mrs, etc.

I wouldn't put it on a form. I don't see the need, and it would lead to people in call centres or receptionists wondering if they should call me Dr xx or Mr xx. I would most consciously avoid it in any situation where it would lead people to expect that I were a medical doctor (e.g. signing up for a GP).

The only place that I would use it would be within the university structure.

Agreed. It is too connected with being a medical doctor and therefore will simply be confusing and inconvenient. From what I have seen, even medical doctors do not particularly like the title and are thankful to be rid of it upon reaching the surgical consultant level.
Original post by ChocolateMelody
But then you could say 'Hello, I'm the Doctor!'

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

Hey come on dear,

See most of the time they already know me who I am, if they know it no point in telling it again, if they dont know then they are not meeting me for medical reason so no point in telling them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending