The Student Room Group

URGENT PLEASE: Edexcel to OCR mei a level maths?

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Last year, in 2011 November, I completed GCSE Maths and was allowed to study C1 Edexcel AS Maths and do the exam in the following May. In January I received an A* in GCSE. So in May i took C1 Edexcel AS Maths and felt very confident to achieve a top grade. However, recently my stupid school decided to change into OCR MEI Maths and my teacher told me my C1 Exam will not count. I am so depressed as I have spent over 200 hours of revision on C1 alone.

Can anyone tell if I could transfer the grade to MEI or something similar? Also, why would a school change examboard? (Maybe of money? My teacher told me it was a 'smoother flow' to Further Maths).

P.S. I will study Further Maths too.

THANK YOU FOR READING. HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT ASAP.
It certainly is possible as I have done the same thing (but with different exam boards). But the exams officer at your school will need to confirm this with OCR, so speak to them ASAP.
Original post by anatomical frog
It certainly is possible as I have done the same thing (but with different exam boards). But the exams officer at your school will need to confirm this with OCR, so speak to them ASAP.

Thank you very much. I will speak to them asap :smile:

Did you switch to OCR Mei ? Or other exam board?
Original post by ssargithan
Did you switch to OCR Mei ? Or other exam board?

No, I actually switched from AQA to Edexcel. But my exams officer told me he'd done the process before for a psychology student who switched to OCR (I don't know from which original exam board).
No, I actually switched from AQA to Edexcel. But my exams officer told me he'd done the process before for a psychology student who switched to OCR (I don't know from which original exam board).

Oh ok thanks
Reply 6
PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Last year, in 2011 November, I completed GCSE Maths and was allowed to study C1 Edexcel AS Maths and do the exam in the following May. In January I received an A* in GCSE. So in May i took C1 Edexcel AS Maths and felt very confident to achieve a top grade. However, recently my stupid school decided to change into OCR MEI Maths and my teacher told me my C1 Exam will not count. I am so depressed as I have spent over 200 hours of revision on C1 alone.

Can anyone tell if I could transfer the grade to MEI or something similar? Also, why would a school change examboard? (Maybe of money? My teacher told me it was a 'smoother flow' to Further Maths).

P.S. I will study Further Maths too.

THANK YOU FOR READING. HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT ASAP.

It is not possible to transfer credit for a single AS unit (e.g. C1) only for a full cashed-in AS. You will need to retake C1 next year under the OCR-MEI syllabus.
Original post by gdunne42
It is not possible to transfer credit for a single AS unit (e.g. C1) only for a full cashed-in AS. You will need to retake C1 next year under the OCR-MEI syllabus.

My exam officer said it certainly is possible to cash a single unit but OCR-Mei could decide to decrease the grade which then would mean I would have to retake. Although, they said it on top of their head they have not confirmed it yet. Have you tried this before?

And out of interest, I looked at OCR MEI C1 past paper. I am able to do 1/2-3/4 of the paper with the knowledge of Edexcel's C1. Do you think if I get a top grade in Edexcel and do plenty of revision for OCR MEI i could get that same grade? (In other words, how hard is it by difficulty? I heard that OCR Mei is tricker worded and harder but the grade boundaries are lower than edexcel, is this true?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
My exam officer said it certainly is possible to cash a single unit but OCR-Mei could decide to decrease the grade which then would mean I would have to retake. Although, they said it on top of their head they have not confirmed it yet. Have you tried this before?

And out of interest, I looked at OCR MEI C1 past paper. I am able to do 1/2-3/4 of the paper with the knowledge of Edexcel's C1. Do you think if I get a top grade in Edexcel and do plenty of revision for OCR MEI i could get that same grade? (In other words, how hard is it by difficulty? I heard that OCR Mei is tricker worded and harder but the grade boundaries are lower than edexcel, is this true?

I think your exams officer is mistaken
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-as-transfer-of-credit-information

I think your comparison of OCR-MEI and Edexcel is reasonably accurate. There is no reason why if you can get a top grade on Edexcel you can't do the same on OCR-MEI. The content of maths specifications does vary slightly and so what is in C1 on Edexcel may be in C2 on another.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think your exams officer is mistaken
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-as-transfer-of-credit-information

I think your comparison of OCR-MEI and Edexcel is reasonably accurate. There is no reason why if you can get a top grade on Edexcel you can't do the same on OCR-MEI. The content of maths specifications does vary slightly and so what is in C1 on Edexcel may be in C2 on another.

No point of getting my hopes up then :/ I am really scared about A-level Maths and Further Maths, as I have seen people saying that OCR MEI is the hardest exam board ever... Is this actually true? Have you done OCR MEI and Edexcel?
Reply 10
No point of getting my hopes up then :/ I am really scared about A-level Maths and Further Maths, as I have seen people saying that OCR MEI is the hardest exam board ever... Is this actually true? Have you done OCR MEI and Edexcel?

I have taught both (though mostly Edexcel). Don't panic, as long as you prepare for the OCR_MEI style of questions you will do just as well as you would on Edexcel. The exam regulators have a job to ensure that an A level from one examiner is no more or less difficult than from another.
Reply 11
OCR MEI's C1 is way easier than the other C1s anyway, youll be fine even if you have to retake.
Original post by Albino
OCR MEI's C1 is way easier than the other C1s anyway, youll be fine even if you have to retake.

Thanks, but I heard other modules such as FP and c4 are extremely hard ( I have researched over 3 hours on it for now -_-) :/ Is there any way to aviod OCR MEI and continue with edexcel ? My school previously did edexcel and should be much better at it than to OCR Mei. Would teacher enter me for edexcel ?
I have taught both (though mostly Edexcel). Don't panic, as long as you prepare for the OCR_MEI style of questions you will do just as well as you would on Edexcel. The exam regulators have a job to ensure that an A level from one examiner is no more or less difficult than from another.

Oh thank you... that relaxes me a bit. I just hate the wording on MEI on the papers I have so far looked.
Reply 14
Oh thank you... that relaxes me a bit. I just hate the wording on MEI on the papers I have so far looked.

Yeah I always thought that :tongue:. But generally they are quite repetitive so you'll get used to it.
Reply 15
If you end up doing MEI Maths you're screwed.... Its undeniably the hardest exam board for maths and will give you the most unpredictable questions each year.

I do MEI maths.. I know people getting A's in Edexcel and AQA then when I give them an MEI past paper they get C's or very low B's... They tend to make section A fairly simple but then section B is a killer, they give you 3 of the hardest questions you'll find.

AQA and Edexcel will give you many medium difficulty questions (Which is much better than having 3 very hard questions)

Just sayin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending