The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haven't posted in here for a while but the goings on at Coventry have left me at the point of complete disillusionment with the sport I grew up watching and the club I grew up supporting. Lee Carsley's departure to Sheff Utd leaves us with barely any coaches, the manager wants to release a third of the squad and fill it with teenagers, the academy is being booted out of its training centre and that's not even half of it.

The club emptied its shop at the Ricoh and is now pushing merchandise from a stall outside Tesco, season tickets have not been put on sale, the new kit hasn't been revealed and nor has the new sponsor. We of course still have a transfer embargo and don't know where we're playing next season with the latest word being a toss up between Walsall and Northampton.

Apologies for the rant but I am so angrily fed up with this whole joke of a situation and the Football League's blind incompetence to do anything about it that if the groundshare proceeds I will cease following domestic football. I'm quite jealous of the rest of you here who can just talk about football and your teams' prospects for next season. If all supporters of teams in League 1 could kindly ask their clubs to stop at 5 against the kids wearing blue shirts at Walsall it would be appreciated.

/rant
Original post by Midlander
Haven't posted in here for a while but the goings on at Coventry have left me at the point of complete disillusionment with the sport I grew up watching and the club I grew up supporting. Lee Carsley's departure to Sheff Utd leaves us with barely any coaches, the manager wants to release a third of the squad and fill it with teenagers, the academy is being booted out of its training centre and that's not even half of it.

The club emptied its shop at the Ricoh and is now pushing merchandise from a stall outside Tesco, season tickets have not been put on sale, the new kit hasn't been revealed and nor has the new sponsor. We of course still have a transfer embargo and don't know where we're playing next season with the latest word being a toss up between Walsall and Northampton.

Apologies for the rant but I am so angrily fed up with this whole joke of a situation and the Football League's blind incompetence to do anything about it that if the groundshare proceeds I will cease following domestic football. I'm quite jealous of the rest of you here who can just talk about football and your teams' prospects for next season. If all supporters of teams in League 1 could kindly ask their clubs to stop at 5 against the kids wearing blue shirts at Walsall it would be appreciated.

/rant

I've got a lot of sympathy for you mate. Not sure what else to say really.
Wait, scratch my happiness. Out of all the clubs for Harry Forrester to move to, why Doncaster ****ing Rovers?
Original post by Jangrafess
I've got a lot of sympathy for you mate. Not sure what else to say really.

It isn't right for supporters to have to put up with this much crap over such a prolonged period. The club could achieve a huge amount with the facilities, fanbase and history behind it but is being destroyed by idiocy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't right for supporters to have to put up with this much crap over such a prolonged period. The club could achieve a huge amount with the facilities, fanbase and history behind it but is being destroyed by idiocy.

Your situation reminds me a bit of Leeds a few years ago. But other clubs have done it in the past, Portsmouth, Sheff U, Sheff Wed, Bradford and Newcastle to an extent have had similar situations. Wolves might have entered that cycle too. I just hope my team- Blackburn Rovers- don't do the same!
[QUOTE="brocklehurst95;43406881"]

Your situation reminds me a bit of Leeds a few years ago. But other clubs have done it in the past, Portsmouth, Sheff U, Sheff Wed, Bradford and Newcastle to an extent have had similar situations. Wolves might have entered that cycle too. I just hope my team- Blackburn Rovers- don't do the same!

None of those teams voluntarily forfeited their own ground! Now the Venky's aren't far off SISU in incompetence so who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Midlander;43406968"]
Original post by brocklehurst95

None of those teams voluntarily forfeited their own ground! Now the Venky's aren't far off SISU in incompetence so who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That decision to move with no contingency plan was almost as stupid as signing the £1m rent deal in the first place! And some decisions I've seen made by Venky's are unbelievable, it would rival any decisions made by any other awful owners from other clubs
[QUOTE="brocklehurst95;43407106"]

That decision to move with no contingency plan was almost as stupid as signing the £1m rent deal in the first place! And some decisions I've seen made by Venky's are unbelievable, it would rival any decisions made by any other awful owners from other clubs

Well the story behind Coventry's situation is hideously complicated so I won't bore people with the details!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9088
Rumours coming from the Sky Blues Trust is they're playing in Northampton next season
The fit and proper persons test is a joke. Coventry should be required to play somewhere else in Coventry next season or play all their home games at the opponents ground until sense is seen and they move back to the Ricoh Arena.
Now officially confirmed that we are playing at Northampton subject to league approval tommorrow. If the League approves it they should all fecking hang their heads in shame at contributing to the destruction of a community asset. If it gets approved then I refuse to have any association with this shambles and the institution which allowed it.

If some of you had seen the offer given by ACL to the club in January which was rejected you would be even more stunned at this news. My club is being destroyed by these morons and the League doesn't give a ****.
Very sad news to hear about Coventry having to move to Northampton. I wonder what will happen to attendances next year. Northwich Victoria were kicked out of their ground 2 years ago and last year had to play at Stafford Rangers (over 100 mile round trip) which left them with attendances around 60/70. About one tenth of their previous gates. Could Coventry end up playing in front of 1/2000 fans?
Dwight Gayle has completed one of the biggest rises in football ,going from playing for Stansted in the Essex leagues to joining Premiership new boys Crystal Palace for around £6m plus incentives.

Despite being a posh fan, I think we've done really well to ge that much for some whose only had 1 full season in the FL and half a season in the championship.
Original post by brocklehurst95
Very sad news to hear about Coventry having to move to Northampton. I wonder what will happen to attendances next year. Northwich Victoria were kicked out of their ground 2 years ago and last year had to play at Stafford Rangers (over 100 mile round trip) which left them with attendances around 60/70. About one tenth of their previous gates. Could Coventry end up playing in front of 1/2000 fans?

We don't 'have' to move at all, that's the biggest outrage of the whole thing. The supporters trust has actively got behind a campaign not to give the club any more money until it moves back to Coventry. My reckoning is that 'home' games will largely be attended by away fans and curious locals from Northampton who are intrigued by this car crash.

I would estimate crowds around the level you have given. If the Football League approve it the English game is dead to me as it has contributed towards the death of my club.
Original post by TomRowland4
Dwight Gayle has completed one of the biggest rises in football ,going from playing for Stansted in the Essex leagues to joining Premiership new boys Crystal Palace for around £6m plus incentives.

Despite being a posh fan, I think we've done really well to ge that much for some whose only had 1 full season in the FL and half a season in the championship.

How does a local non league player cost £6m?
In other news Nottingham Forest have revealed their new kit today.

Signed some solid players so far, along with some young talent from the lower devisions, would be nice to see them prosper. Very happy to tie down Jara Reyes after his loan spell last season.

On Coventry, it's a terrible situation for you fans. Reminds me of Wimbledon moving to Milton Keens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seen possibly the greatest rumour ever: Elvis Hammond on trial with Watford :laugh: Ankle back in the championship, quite a step down from udineses b-team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alpharius
In other news Nottingham Forest have revealed their new kit today.

Signed some solid players so far, along with some young talent from the lower devisions, would be nice to see them prosper. Very happy to tie down Jara Reyes after his loan spell last season.

On Coventry, it's a terrible situation for you fans. Reminds me of Wimbledon moving to Milton Keens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some muppet elsewhere on the football forum thinks it's hilarious.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Seen possibly the greatest rumour ever: Elvis Hammond on trial with Watford :laugh: Ankle back in the championship, quite a step down from udineses b-team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, Battocchio and Pudil have signed contracts with us, and the other loanees are all being wrapped up whilst they are all out in Italy at the training camp - and they said tyhe loaness didn't care about the club. Also, supposedly permanent deals for Marco Davide Faraoni and Gabriele Angella have been agreed - one who was signed from Inter last year, and the other who played nigh-on the entire season for Udinese. Javier Acuna is on loan from Udinese as well.

Signed McGugan though to appease the opposition fans that we don't have any English players.
Original post by billybo_h
Don't worry, Battocchio and Pudil have signed contracts with us, and the other loanees are all being wrapped up whilst they are all out in Italy at the training camp - and they said tyhe loaness didn't care about the club. Also, supposedly permanent deals for Marco Davide Faraoni and Gabriele Angella have been agreed - one who was signed from Inter last year, and the other who played nigh-on the entire season for Udinese. Javier Acuna is on loan from Udinese as well.

Signed McGugan though to appease the opposition fans that we don't have any English players.

At the risk of starting this up again, you understand that I don't care if they're signed permanently or on loan - the signings made from udinese are ones you wouldn't be able to make if it weren't for the multiple ownership scenario, which remember isn't permitted (only reason you're able to do it is because of exploitation of loop-holes) & therefore are against the spirit of the game.

Still, Elvis Hammond :laugh: and that some of your fans have said Zola will turn him into a 20 goal a season striker is even funnier. Deluded doesn't cover it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest