The Student Room Group

Anyone Else's Bursary Cut Substantially Despite No Changes?

My award letter came in the other day and my bursary (so not including loans for living) was £500 (so 50 per month after the initial £100 in september).

But last year it was £1550 and thus i was gettng £155 per month.

Nothing has really changed, i dont work, my dad is retired and my mum workes part time.

Im entering my final 5th year of the course.

Any ideas folks or should i get on the phone and ask wtf?

Thanks
Original post by dav14
My award letter came in the other day and my bursary (so not including loans for living) was £500 (so 50 per month after the initial £100 in september).

But last year it was £1550 and thus i was gettng £155 per month.

Nothing has really changed, i dont work, my dad is retired and my mum workes part time.

Im entering my final 5th year of the course.

Any ideas folks or should i get on the phone and ask wtf?

Thanks

It's because you're entering your final year - you always get less in your final year.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
It's because you're entering your final year - you always get less in your final year.

Ah, fair enough. I had no idea. Thanks!
Reply 3
But, would you not agree £1550 down to 500 is quite a large difference for not taking into account the summer months?
Reply 4
The bursaries have all been reduced by quite a lot. Last year, my bursary was around £2500 and this year it'll be £500 (I'm an independent student). The majority of living costs will be covered by the loan, if you've chosen to apply for it, that is.
Reply 5
Original post by mythtakes
The bursaries have all been reduced by quite a lot. Last year, my bursary was around £2500 and this year it'll be £500 (I'm an independent student). The majority of living costs will be covered by the loan, if you've chosen to apply for it, that is.

thanks, yeah i just seen a document that explains all. They are being stingey with the free money lol.
Reply 6
Original post by dav14
thanks, yeah i just seen a document that explains all. They are being stingey with the free money lol.

not really, free money goes towards your tuition fees if you stay in Scotland.
Reply 7
YES me :frown: i'm getting £100 a month and i spend £14 a day on train fair to uni. So this really sucks I'm not sure if i can afford to go back to uni. :frown: It's not because it's your final year it's because they have simplified the bursary process this year basically everyone whose household income is between something like 17,000 a year and 25,000 a year all get the same amount paid to them. Those under 17,000 get more (can't remember exact figure) and those over 25,000 get less (£50 a month)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending