The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Afternoon all, I've been following this thread/topic for a while now as I'm considering under bite surgery with the NHS. Now my main concern is the cost/pre treatment. I'm 21 therefore - presumably free surgery is out of the question? I had braces when I was around 14-15 for just over a year to help shift my upper jaw teeth to be more aligned. However, I'm incredibly unhappy with my facial appearance, my jawline is strong, my under bite itself is fairly noticeable when I smile, which is incredibly upsetting especially when you see photos of yourself after. Has or is anyone going through this treatment at the moment (with the NHS and over 18) - would be great to hear from you. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Afternoon all, I've been following this thread/topic for a while now as I'm considering under bite surgery with the NHS. Now my main concern is the cost/pre treatment. I'm 21 therefore - presumably free surgery is out of the question? I had braces when I was around 14-15 for just over a year to help shift my upper jaw teeth to be more aligned. However, I'm incredibly unhappy with my facial appearance, my jawline is strong, my under bite itself is fairly noticeable when I smile, which is incredibly upsetting especially when you see photos of yourself after. Has or is anyone going through this treatment at the moment (with the NHS and over 18) - would be great to hear from you. Thanks

my understanding is it doesn't matter what age you are, if your case is deemed to severe enough you will get it for free
Original post by simplylldxo
Depends if the surgeon ****ed up or not.. Also I never met the surgeon that did the surgery itself! :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can see it by looking at it.

And you never met the surgeon?:s-smilie:
Original post by fat_hobbit
You can see it by looking at it.

And you never met the surgeon?:s-smilie:

I mean over time and nope!

Only met the registrar and the other max fax surgeon (he had nothing to do with me and my problem)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean over time and nope!

Only met the registrar and the other max fax surgeon (he had nothing to do with me and my problem)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was wrong with your bite?
What was wrong with your bite?

My lower jaw was pushed out and my upper jaw was pulled in.. So an underbite!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm having the surgery in about a month. A question for the people who have had the surgery: when your jaw is elastic banded shut, when were the bands taken off? I'm going to uni about a month and a bit after the surgery and I'd really prefer not to meet people while talking through my teeth and looking strange, it would make things that bit harder. Also, what was the time frame of swelling going down?

I'm honestly not worried about the pain/recovery since I've had a few operations, most notably an eye operation that left me in agony for about a month, so I've toughened up. I'm just concerned about the appearance side of things, and I'm a little worried about looking like frankenstein when I go off to uni. :rolleyes:
May look better but inside I'm thinking whether it was worth it or not.. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1FP4DUmKg

^^ This girl has had jaw surgery for a severe underbite, her videos are very informative. I think it's in this one where she says that she did actually have some nerve damage and still hasn't regained sensation in her lower lip, but of you compare her jaw now to how it used to be the result (aesthetically) is incredible.
Original post by punsandneedles
I'm having the surgery in about a month. A question for the people who have had the surgery: when your jaw is elastic banded shut, when were the bands taken off? I'm going to uni about a month and a bit after the surgery and I'd really prefer not to meet people while talking through my teeth and looking strange, it would make things that bit harder. Also, what was the time frame of swelling going down?

I'm honestly not worried about the pain/recovery since I've had a few operations, most notably an eye operation that left me in agony for about a month, so I've toughened up. I'm just concerned about the appearance side of things, and I'm a little worried about looking like frankenstein when I go off to uni. :rolleyes:

The elastics will keep breaking, so you will have to change it yourself everytime it snaps.
The elastics will keep breaking, so you will have to change it yourself everytime it snaps.

About how long was it until your elastics were unnoticeable/taken off for good? Thank you for helping, I think it'll just put my mind to rest and stop me from worrying so much during the recovery period.
Original post by punsandneedles
About how long was it until your elastics were unnoticeable/taken off for good? Thank you for helping, I think it'll just put my mind to rest and stop me from worrying so much during the recovery period.

It was 3 months after mine went off.
Bit of a random question but I'm going under general anaesthetic to have 6 teeth removed. When you all went under to have your operation, could you where your own pants? Or did you have to wear paper ones?
I wore my own pants! I woke up with none on though as I had a catheter put in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wore my own pants! I woke up with none on though as I had a catheter put in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response. I doubt I'll have one of those because I'm in and out the same day? What do you think? I'm only having a few teeth out.
Thanks for the response. I doubt I'll have one of those because I'm in and out the same day? What do you think? I'm only having a few teeth out.

I know; I'm just saying! They were my lucky pants too :frown: don't think you need paper pants for teeth extractions somehow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know; I'm just saying! They were my lucky pants too :frown: don't think you need paper pants for teeth extractions somehow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww.. I didn't think so either, but my Dad is purposely making me feel nervous because he finds it funny.
Aww.. I didn't think so either, but my Dad is purposely making me feel nervous because he finds it funny.

Aww :jumphug: I'm sure you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Four weeks post op and i think i'm going to have to have another surgery :frown:

They moved my jaw forward and people say it's a big improvement, but i posted my before/after photos on a Jaw Surgery blog and the two responses i've got say that although there is an improvement, i still need genioplasty to make my chin more pronounced.
I don't think i can go through a second surgery though...

My friends and family said they didn't notice my overbite, so i'm kind of doing this just for me. I want to be more confident and happier with how i look (i can't stand my face at the moment) so i'm just wondering if it will be worth it.

Sorry, just ranting.
Original post by Sarah04H
Four weeks post op and i think i'm going to have to have another surgery :frown:

They moved my jaw forward and people say it's a big improvement, but i posted my before/after photos on a Jaw Surgery blog and the two responses i've got say that although there is an improvement, i still need genioplasty to make my chin more pronounced.
I don't think i can go through a second surgery though...

My friends and family said they didn't notice my overbite, so i'm kind of doing this just for me. I want to be more confident and happier with how i look (i can't stand my face at the moment) so i'm just wondering if it will be worth it.

Sorry, just ranting.

I needed geinoplasty done too, best thing I ever did; stronger side profile.
Reply 239
I needed geinoplasty done too, best thing I ever did; stronger side profile.

So did you have two surgeries then, one for the jaw and one for the chin?
And did the geniosplasty give a more drastic change compared to the jaw surgery?

Thank you for the reply, if it's the best thing you ever did then it's making me feel better about having it done.

Latest