The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by CB91
Yes it is, 11/12 you were like "we'll finish in the top 4 no questions asked", then last year i seem to remember you expecting the title at one point then still expecting to pass City when you were in a scrap for 4th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said I expected the title :rofl: Check almost every post I said title challenge at one point or that we should be title challenging with our team and went on benitez rants. It was eboracum who said that we would win the title under benitez even though I clearly said we won't win the title over united :rolleyes: probably find a couple posts about transition team and benitez bashing from me too if you searched hard enough.

11/12 I clearly said that was shocking in the post above and I said we'll be in the CL final and beat barca too. But we were 3 points behind city last season, we were a QPR win away from 2nd place as we had superior goal difference. So you can't say that's shocking.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think Chelsea should be expected to come first possibly second with a cup on the side. If i were to bet it would be Chelsea. :beard:
Reply 4002
In fact CB91. Check post 13 of this thread.
Original post by jam277
I never said I expected the title :rofl: Check almost every post I said title challenge at one point or that we should be title challenging with our team and went on benitez rants. It was eboracum who said that we would win the title under benitez even though I clearly said we won't win the title over united :rolleyes: probably find a couple posts about transition team and benitez bashing from me too if you searched hard enough.

11/12 I clearly said that was shocking in the post above and I said we'll be in the CL final and beat barca too. But we were 3 points behind city last season, we were a QPR win away from 2nd place as we had superior goal difference. So you can't say that's shocking.

Yes you did, and you know you did. And you know no one is going to check through your posts because people have better things to do (seen you say this more than once).

The CL final is irrelevant when predicting your league position and so is your "if only". I could say if only City hadnt given up half way through the season then they would have been miles clear of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4004
Original post by CB91
Yes you did, and you know you did. And you know no one is going to check through your posts because people have better things to do (seen you say this more than once).

The CL final is irrelevant when predicting your league position and so is your "if only". I could say if only City hadnt given up half way through the season then they would have been miles clear of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess so but like I said post 13 of this thread on the first page was around march basically says what I'm saying now which was what I was saying throughout the season. I could also say that us still being in the CL costed us points for the top 4 as it was clear we sacrificed top 4 for the CL and FA CUP around the end of the season. It was an error in judgement saying we'd finish top 4 no questions asked in 11/12 season if that's what you want to hear but saying we'd finish 2nd last season wasn't an error in judgement
(edited 10 years ago)
Looks like Cavani is closer to joining PSG now. Good news tbh because I was pretty uncomfortable with the club spending 53m on one player. Should go for Lewandowski if we can and spend the rest on De Rossi. If not then we should go for someone like Gomez. Experienced, wouldn't cost a huge deal, proven in the CL and wouldn't hamper Lukaku's development.

Also, after giving it more thought, in our 4-2-3-1 formation, I'd prefer if we had the following lineup:

--Lukaku--
--KDB--Mata--Hazard--

rather than Oscar on the wing/attacking mid. Think he should be put as a CM for most of the time and play back up to Mata other times. Good thing about the one above is that all three can play on the wing / AM to a good level (although LW with Mata isn't certain), unlike Oscar who's mainly suited to just the AM role. And this way, the idea of interchanging would probably be more effective. Oscar as a CM as well would mean the 3 amigos still would (hopefully) retain chemistry with each other.
Reply 4006
Original post by The Assassin
Looks like Cavani is closer to joining PSG now. Good news tbh because I was pretty uncomfortable with the club spending 53m on one player. Should go for Lewandowski if we can and spend the rest on De Rossi. If not then we should go for someone like Gomez. Experienced, wouldn't cost a huge deal, proven in the CL and wouldn't hamper Lukaku's development.
Somewhat skeptical about that, Cavani was quoted saying nothing would be done until he came back off holiday, and then within the next two days this PSG deal surfaces :dontknow:. Although if he does go to PSG maybe we can steal Ibra... :colone:

Lewandowski isn't for available I don't think, apparently a deal was reached with Real but Lewandowski rejected the contract as he only wants to go to Bayern. Dortmund won't sell to Bayern but would rather keep him for a year anyway so everyone's relatively happy.
Original post by Nickini
Somewhat skeptical about that, Cavani was quoted saying nothing would be done until he came back off holiday, and then within the next two days this PSG deal surfaces :dontknow:. Although if he does go to PSG maybe we can steal Ibra... :colone:

Lewandowski isn't for available I don't think, apparently a deal was reached with Real but Lewandowski rejected the contract as he only wants to go to Bayern. Dortmund won't sell to Bayern but would rather keep him for a year anyway so everyone's relatively happy.

Yeah you're right. But it's just that throughout, we've been unwilling to meet the release clause whilst apparently PSG are ready to do so now :dontknow:

Ah, pity about Lewandowski.
We're in advanced talks to sign John Ruddy according to skysports...

He'd be a more than capable 2nd choice obviously, but I do wonder why he'd want to come here when he had a starting role at Norwich.
Reply 4009
Original post by Isometrix
We're in advanced talks to sign John Ruddy according to skysports...

He'd be a more than capable 2nd choice obviously, but I do wonder why he'd want to come here when he had a starting role at Norwich.

So he can coast along and pick up medals.
I suppose we could try and get him on loan for a year? Not sure if it'll work though.

But for the 2013/2014 season, what do we do with the Courtois/Cech situation? I mean, I love Cech but we could have one of the best (maybe the best...) goalkeepers of the future on our hands. Rotating them every game? Not sure what would be the most effective way...
Original post by Tweek
So he can coast along and pick up medals.

This. Same as Ross Turnbull.
Reply 4012
I suppose we could try and get him on loan for a year? Not sure if it'll work though.

But for the 2013/2014 season, what do we do with the Courtois/Cech situation? I mean, I love Cech but we could have one of the best (maybe the best...) goalkeepers of the future on our hands. Rotating them every game? Not sure what would be the most effective way...

Cech breaks his finger for the season during pre season. Courtois comes in for a season, gets 29 clean sheets and concede 14 goals and we draw 0-0 to man city this time.
lol, good plan jam. :wink:
Reply 4014
lol, good plan jam. :wink:

Stupid anelka. :frown:
Bet he'll score against us when he plays for west brom too and we lose our yearly match to west brom 1-0 or 2-1.

Which reminds me, who are our yearly bogey team? United depends as we beat them at old trafford and they beat us at the bridge after almost 10 years, I think our bogey match is city away, it used to be everton away too where I almost expect a loss when we play them.

Why not just keep loaning him out? He's a class keeper so I'm sure even bigger clubs than Ath.Madrid would be interested in him and he'll have the no.1 jersey waiting for him on his return.

Could easily do 3 more years of loaning.
Reply 4016
Original post by Zürich
Why not just keep loaning him out? He's a class keeper so I'm sure even bigger clubs than Ath.Madrid would be interested in him and he'll have the no.1 jersey waiting for him on his return.

Could easily do 3 more years of loaning.

Depends on how emotionally invested he becomes with the specific club. If at madrid fail next season e.g. he'd want CL football, I think he'd be good going to italy to a team like milan.
Reply 4017
Original post by KingMessi
This. Same as Ross Turnbull.

Looking at Turnbull's 'honours' on his Wiki page never ceases to amaze me.
Reply 4018
Original post by Tweek
Looking at Turnbull's 'honours' on his Wiki page never ceases to amaze me.

He's such a boss. He can show josh his CL medal. Such a boss.
Reply 4019
Original post by jam277
He's such a boss. He can show josh his CL medal. Such a boss.

Josh is already a superior footballer, I think we've all seen that cracking goal he scored after the Everton match.

Hope Wenger doesn't sign him.

Latest