The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1717
I know I've only focused on the negatives but that's a lot of what was highlighted. At one point I think she even said she's already got so many people applying and the talk was mainly to discourage the wrong people from applying! The 14 applicants really puts me off - it's double Cambridge's applicants per place but I guess a more international students apply too.

There are, however, obviously many positives. It's LSE, one of the top universities in the world, especially for social sciences! And they have some brilliant speakers coming regularly. If I have the right AS UMS points I'll still probably apply...

I really liked Warwick too - it had a nice feel. Did you see Nottingham?

yeah but tbh if the talk was given like how you described , then who knows who the " wrong people " are - someone who is highly intelligent and suitable for the course could be considered as a " wrong person " due to that. the idea that international students get priority just because they pay more is also really annoying , and basically says that there is literally NO chance of me getting an offer at all :tongue:

true , but those positives only really apply if you get in haha. Yeah warwick was really nice , but again the focus on GCSE A* grades is a bit off-putting. Aye i did , REALLY liked Nottingham , the fact that Trent Bridge was only 10 minutes away was pretty cool :tongue:
plus the campus was really good , library was better than Warwicks i felt :smile:
Original post by Fas
yeah but tbh if the talk was given like how you described , then who knows who the " wrong people " are - someone who is highly intelligent and suitable for the course could be considered as a " wrong person " due to that. the idea that international students get priority just because they pay more is also really annoying , and basically says that there is literally NO chance of me getting an offer at all :tongue:

true , but those positives only really apply if you get in haha. Yeah warwick was really nice , but again the focus on GCSE A* grades is a bit off-putting. Aye i did , REALLY liked Nottingham , the fact that Trent Bridge was only 10 minutes away was pretty cool :tongue:
plus the campus was really good , library was better than Warwicks i felt :smile:

Is Nottingham AAA?

And did you come to Warwick? Someone asked about GCSEs and they said it wasn't that important...
Is Nottingham AAA?

And did you come to Warwick? Someone asked about GCSEs and they said it wasn't that important...

Nottingham is A*AA but A*ABB if you're taking 4. They can even be lowered further for special circumstances.
Is Nottingham AAA?

Nottinghams is AAA-A*AA ( for three A-levels ) yeah i went , but then came onto this forum and hopes basically dropped :tongue:
Original post by NedStark
Nottingham is A*AA but A*ABB if you're taking 4. They can even be lowered further for special circumstances.

Ah someone told me nowhere makes offers for four subjects! But useful to know, thanks. :smile:
Reply 365
I know I've only focused on the negatives but that's a lot of what was highlighted. At one point I think she even said she's already got so many people applying and the talk was mainly to discourage the wrong people from applying! The 14 applicants really puts me off - it's double Cambridge's applicants per place but I guess a more international students apply too.

There are, however, obviously many positives. It's LSE, one of the top universities in the world, especially for social sciences! And they have some brilliant speakers coming regularly. If I have the right AS UMS points I'll still probably apply...

I really liked Warwick too - it had a nice feel. Did you see Nottingham?

Hey do LSE look at UMS? :smile:
Original post by Smko
Hey do LSE look at UMS? :smile:

Yes.
Original post by kiirankapoor
Aha nopee i was the asian one with glasses and orange dress :P yeaa he was really funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds a bit familiar, I think I may have seen you... I was in orange with black stripes :tongue:

Did you also go Cambridge today or yesterday?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
That sounds a bit familiar, I think I may have seen you... I was in orange with black stripes :tongue:

Did you also go Cambridge today or yesterday?

Im really bad at remembering what people wore ;P umm no i booked cambridge but didnt go since ive been a few times and im planning to go up some time soon. Did you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im really bad at remembering what people wore ;P umm no i booked cambridge but didnt go since ive been a few times and im planning to go up some time soon. Did you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh it all seems like a blur now, I see and yes I went for the first time and really liked the place, especially the building at Kings!
Yh it all seems like a blur now, I see and yes I went for the first time and really liked the place, especially the building at Kings!

Yeaa i love Cambridge ;D so are you going to apply to Kings then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm indecisive between Kings and Pembroke :colondollar:, what about you?
Reply 372

Posted from TSR Mobile

So many Kings applicants for Economics, all my friends are applying there as well :colone:

Good thing is that about 40% of people who get pooled from Kings get offers elsewhere
Original post by Giant
So many Kings applicants for Economics, all my friends are applying there as well :colone:

Good thing is that about 40% of people who get pooled from Kings get offers elsewhere

Wow, so all your friends are applying for both the same course and college as you? :P

I haven't fully decided yet... might need to perform a Cost-benefit analysis :colone:
Kings economics applicant here, looks like the competition will be tough. :colone:
Reply 375
Wow, so all your friends are applying for both the same course and college as you? :P

I haven't fully decided yet... might need to perform a Cost-benefit analysis :colone:

Not all my friends obviously, but those who want to do Econ there (so about 3 or 4 including myself)

Original post by NedStark
Kings economics applicant here, looks like the competition will be tough. :colone:

Kings is just so popular
Original post by Giant
Kings is just so popular

It has good reason to be. Just looks amazing!

I have no idea Kings seems amazing but the competition is soo tough im not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pembroke had a nice garden but it didn't have a river and boats. :biggrin:
I would really like to apply to King's but I wouldn't like to end up in an ugly place and it's so hard to decide now.
[video="youtube;Z4QcrUQNr-k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QcrUQNr-k[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
I have no idea Kings seems amazing but the competition is soo tough im not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by purplemind
Pembroke had a nice garden but it didn't have a river and boats. :biggrin:
I would really like to apply to King's but I wouldn't like to end up in an ugly place and it's so hard to decide now.

Damn, it seems like everyone here wants to apply to Kings! :lol:

However, I still believe you should apply to the college you like the most and not one you perceive to be less competitive; as there's no way of knowing for sure and the alternate college you choose may end up even more competitive :dontknow:. Anyways, I'm sure most colleges have roughly the same level of competition year in year out, it's just that in this case we know quite a few of who we're competing against.

Original post by purplemind

Spoiler

I can somehow agree with him, those long walks were painful! :nothing:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending