The Student Room Group

Calling in sick? Help please (McDonalds)

Ok well I've randomly developed a bad cold tonight, and don't think I'll be able to come to work tomorrow. Should I call my manager now? Thing is though I might feel better tomorrow so should I just call in the morning or would that be too late (11am my shift starts) I have no Idea what to do I'm new so I've never called in sick before.

:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Call now and tell your manager than you're not feeling too great and that you might not be able to work tomorrow then let him know that at about 7am you'll update him on whether you will or won't be able to work. He would appreciate that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Ok cheers :smile:
I work in Maccies and I think the latest I've called in sick is about 2 hours before my shift and it's been fine. :dontknow:
Obviously it depends on your individual managers though as there are ones that I wouldn't mind calling up late and those that I might be a bit wary with.
Reply 4
Hi,

I think you should wait till tomorrow morning. If you're still not feeling well at about 7AM, then I think you should call your manager at that point (before 8AM) so that they can plan who will cover your work in your absence.
Reply 5
Original post by 123ab
Hi,

I think you should wait till tomorrow morning. If you're still not feeling well at about 7AM, then I think you should call your manager at that point (before 8AM) so that they can plan who will cover your work in your absence.

This ^^

Just from a personal POV but whenever I've not been well I've always tried to go to work. Better to get sent home and show your dedication to the team, than to be one who's noted for calling in sick.
Reply 6
Best to ring now to be on the safe side. I used to work there and once spewed up around the corner before I walked in, made it home and rung up. They were fine with it :smile:
Original post by Rybee
This ^^

Just from a personal POV but whenever I've not been well I've always tried to go to work. Better to get sent home and show your dedication to the team, than to be one who's noted for calling in sick.

This is McDonalds we're talking about; I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less about appearing dedicated to 'the team'.
Reply 8
Policy states you should call no later then 2 hours before the start of your shift and tell the most senior manager on shift, but some colds last over a week can you afford to take it all off? Just remember you might feel worse in a few days so save your calling in for that? I personally would call on the morning when you decide you can't work so see how you feel around 8, that leaves ample time for them to find cover. If your still on your probation I wouldn't call in sick with a cold IMO
Original post by MrBuck
Policy states you should call no later then 2 hours before the start of your shift and tell the most senior manager on shift, but some colds last over a week can you afford to take it all off? Just remember you might feel worse in a few days so save your calling in for that? I personally would call on the morning when you decide you can't work so see how you feel around 8, that leaves ample time for them to find cover. If your still on your probation I wouldn't call in sick with a cold IMO

I agree.
I work in mcdonalds and this is what usually happens at my store.
Reply 10
I have rang in sick for my shift 3 hours before and my manager told me I have to go in for her to send me home. Can anybody help, I feel as though they are harassing me constantly.
I rang in today over two hours before I started because I was throwing up throughout the night. But the manager who took my call called me inconsiderate and that I should have give more notice when there policy is two hours. I made sure I rang more than two hours and was too poorly to phone during the night but they were still funny about it. Should be fine if you ring up first thing
I called in sick to work the day before because of nausea and vomitting after trying for 4 hours to get someone to take my shift knowing they may be understaffed. The manager went sick at me saying you do realise we need you.. I'd rather go in when I'm likely not to infect people with a possible stomach bug as it is a policy to not go into work for at least 48 hours as I would be preparing food. She was really funny with me and I didn't know what to say.
The same has happened to me today. I also work at mc Donald's part time and I phoned in sick today as I have been vomiting. My manger has then told me that I need 48 hours off and they need a sick note. I should only need two days off, would a doctor be able to give me a sick note for such a small amount of time off?
Reply 14
Omg at this thread being bumped, that job and summer were horrible, I was also only there for about six weeks lol.

I remember when I actually did call in sick my manager made me almost come in to prove it

Glad it's all in the past now :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Doctor don't give out sick noted for two days I had to get my mum to ex0pain it to my manager cause she literally called me a lie on the phone
Reply 16
Original post by Cinnu
Doctor don't give out sick noted for two days I had to get my mum to ex0pain it to my manager cause she literally called me a lie on the phone

They also don't give out a sick note 4 years later
Original post by S4LM4N
Omg at this thread being bumped, that job and summer were horrible, I was also only there for about six weeks lol.

I remember when I actually did call in sick my manager made me almost come in to prove it

Glad it's all in the past now :smile:

I know that doesnt sound great, but i think the reasoning for it was because they have so many ring in who arent genuinely ill and could easily work or people who dont ring in and just dont show up etc. I know thats no excuse, but sometimes they genuinely dont know who to believe. Those few doing things like that ruins it for everyone else who is genuinely ill.
Reply 18
Original post by Emma:-)
I know that doesnt sound great, but i think the reasoning for it was because they have so many ring in who arent genuinely ill and could easily work or people who dont ring in and just dont show up etc. I know thats no excuse, but sometimes they genuinely dont know who to believe. Those few doing things like that ruins it for everyone else who is genuinely ill.

Yeah I agree. It was mainly just because working there was so awful and I guess I wanted every excuse to get out. I'm definitely not like that at my new job lol.
Reply 19
i have my little brothers birthday on saturday and i work at maccas my shift starts at 4:30 and the party is at about that time so how do i get out of it ???? pls help urgent thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending