The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

AA100 - The Arts Past and Present

Hi!
If anyone out there has done this course, can I ask what you thought of it, and roughly how much time you had to devote to it each week? I work full time and I'm wondering if it will be too much time wise for me.
Thanks for any comments:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I'm doung this one at the moment. There us a different topuc each week so it is relatively fast moving. The topics that I have little interest in and are not assessed I read but Di not delve any deeper - thus only takes a few hours. But for assessed or interesting topics I put in around 10 hours I guess... I have a levels on the go and a toddler and baby so need to be careful with time management!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi there,

I have previously studied AA100 and it is a wonderful course! I would echo what Denver2010 has said above, that it has various topics each week and I think around 8-10 hours of study per week is reasonable (that's about how much I did whilst studying and I managed to average at a high grade 2 in my TMAs and the EMA).

All the best with your studies. :smile:
Reply 3
I have just finished this module whilst working full time, and am still waiting for my EMA (End of Module Assessment) result, but I expect to get a high pass mark. It was demanding at times, but I got through it and enjoyed it most of the time too! There were a couple of bits that didn't interest me, and that was reflected in my marks, but I didn't do too badly in them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey :smile:

Just wondering if anyone will be starting this module in October 2013?
Reply 5
Hello,

Yes I am starting this. I'm doing it for language studies: English with Spanish. I'm also doing a 30 credit Spanish module. I work full time but want to get my degree within 4 years! What are you both doing?

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing this course at the moment and frankly I think it's rubbish, it's certainly not worth two and a half grand! I know some people like it but I have found it boring and uninspiring. I find it particularly irritating that we're not encouraged to research and find our own material, they just want you to read the books they provide.
Reply 7
Original post by emma262
Hello,

Yes I am starting this. I'm doing it for language studies: English with Spanish. I'm also doing a 30 credit Spanish module. I work full time but want to get my degree within 4 years! What are you both doing?

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to do the same - finish it within 4 years!

As you probably read on another thread - Humanities with music pathway :smile: I also work full-time.
Reply 8
Original post by Samual
I'm doing this course at the moment and frankly I think it's rubbish, it's certainly not worth two and a half grand! I know some people like it but I have found it boring and uninspiring. I find it particularly irritating that we're not encouraged to research and find our own material, they just want you to read the books they provide.

REALLY! :/

What degree are you taking?

Is it boring because there are different subjects all at once, or what makes it so boring?
Original post by ana.p
REALLY! :/

What degree are you taking?

Is it boring because there are different subjects all at once, or what makes it so boring?

I am doing a CertHE Humanities. Yeh, I don't like having to do things like art history and philosophy, all the interesting chapters in the books are not examined on so after a while you lose any incentive to read those chapters which have no essay attached to them.
Original post by ana.p
Hey :smile:

Just wondering if anyone will be starting this module in October 2013?

I'll be starting this October. Not entirely looking forward to it - heard so many mixed reviews.
Reply 12
Original post by Samual
I am doing a CertHE Humanities. Yeh, I don't like having to do things like art history and philosophy, all the interesting chapters in the books are not examined on so after a while you lose any incentive to read those chapters which have no essay attached to them.

Hi Samual,

Could you please tell me what kind of things are examined in essays this year? If this course is as boring as DD101 was, God help everyone taking it!:colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by AnxiousRockstar
I'll be starting this October. Not entirely looking forward to it - heard so many mixed reviews.

Yeah same, but I am keepin me mind open about it. Don't want to start the first module dismotivate hehe. What degree are you doing??
Original post by karpouzi
Hi Samual,

Could you please tell me what kind of things are examined in essays this year? If this course is as boring as DD101 was, God help everyone taking it!:colondollar:

Hi, there are 7 TMAs - usually it’s just one essay per TMA but sometimes it's two. These are the topics we covered.

1. Cleopatra and Dr Faustus
2. Reflective assignment
3. Music and Philosophy
4. History of Ireland or Architecture
5. History of Art
6. History of Medicine or Literature (short stories)
7. Reflective assignment
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Samual
Hi, there are 7 TMAs - usually it’s just one essay per TMA but sometimes it's two. These are the topics we covered.

1. Cleopatra and Dr Faustus
2. Reflective assignment
3. Music and Philosophy
4. History of Ireland or Architecture
5. History of Art
6. History of Medicine or Literature (short stories)
7. Reflective assignment

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 16
Hi everyone

I am also starting the AA100 in October. I am going to study English language and Literature.

Does anyone know what this module is like?

Thanks

Jose
Reply 17
I am also starting AA100 in October as part of my English language and literature degree. I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing A150 Voices and Texts in October too?

Also, has anyone received any books yet? Just wondering if I have to buy any.
hello snammyy , i am doing both AA100 and A150 at the same time ... October 2013 . is that what you are taking also?
Reply 19
Hello everyone, i'm on this module too and received my kit a few days back. Got my last set book through today and am just getting through the study companion. It looks quite interesting so far!

Quick Reply

Latest