The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Anybody starting work in Taunton Head Office in August?
Reply 461
Anyone applying for the hospitality assistant role in oxford street? I've had my telephone interview and i'm just waiting for the assessment, anyone know if it has changed since early this year?
Reply 462
Applied for the same position, mines on Monday at 5pm.
Reply 463
Original post by miss_sim_simma
Anyone applying for the hospitality assistant role in oxford street? I've had my telephone interview and i'm just waiting for the assessment, anyone know if it has changed since early this year?

There was an open recruitment evening this tuesday. My recruitment event/assessment is next week
Reply 464
Original post by justagrad
Applied for the same position, mines on Monday at 5pm.

Mine's on monday too! I think it's a bit earlier than 5pm though, however i need to check back to see :biggrin: how ready are you?
Reply 465
Original post by Ebuwa
There was an open recruitment evening this tuesday. My recruitment event/assessment is next week

Is yours on monday too? :biggrin:
Reply 466
Is yours on monday too? :biggrin:

Mine's on monday too! I think it's a bit earlier than 5pm though, however i need to check back to see :biggrin: how ready are you?

Doubt it will be too intense, I've heard the event is laid back and Debenhams questions/tasks are all online. The main thing is to stand out from the crowd... there seems to be allot of applicants for this low paid role.
Reply 467
all of debenham's grad roles are low paid from what I figure. From the sounds of Post No. 467, your assessment day sounds soo much easier than the one I had lol.
Reply 468
Original post by Sir_Miah
all of debenham's grad roles are low paid from what I figure. From the sounds of Post No. 467, your assessment day sounds soo much easier than the one I had lol.

What was yours like?
Reply 469
Well we got intro talk to start off with (like more about the role, how many ppl they are recruiting etc.).

Straight after that I went and did a presentation on a retailer that impressed me (I ended up comparing three). After the presentation, I got questioned by the people I just presented to. This was just a general one, it didn't follow any specific format.

After the presentation, I had the proper interview by two people, can't remember if it was 15 or 30mins. That one went through everything from motivation for college and university courses to work experience and positions of responsibilty at university clubs/societies. It ended with me talking about my personal goals and what I wanted to achieve from this role and where I see myself in a few years time.

After that, I got to talk to two current recruits. This was so I can ask them questions about their experience etc.

Then came the aptitude tests.... I only had to do numerical one. This was as hard as a motherf*******, and I was supposed to be good with numbers :/

That was pretty much it I think. Have you had your assessment or is it on the Monday coming up?

EDIT: This was for Finance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 470
Had a telephone interview today, unsure whether it was good or not. I was told I will get known the result in the next 10 days. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Anyone had the same thing and got called in for the assessment centre?
Reply 471

Did they tell you straight on the phone interview if you have being succesful or not?
Reply 472
Original post by darkiee
Had a telephone interview today, unsure whether it was good or not. I was told I will get known the result in the next 10 days. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Anyone had the same thing and got called in for the assessment centre?
Usually for the frontline positions they will tell you immediately after being taken of hold. Guess it depends on role (high expertise etc.), but don't worry there are cases where they get back to you after. Good luck:smile:.
Reply 473
Usually for the frontline positions they will tell you immediately after being taken of hold. Guess it depends on role (high expertise etc.), but don't worry there are cases where they get back to you after. Good luck:smile:.

Thanks for the help. I guess I should carrying on applying to other places then. It was a sales adviser role. The last 2 questions through me off but the first 4 I nailed. I willl apply for the oxford street restaurant one. Try my luck
Reply 474
Original post by darkiee
Thanks for the help. I guess I should carrying on applying to other places then. It was a sales adviser role. The last 2 questions through me off but the first 4 I nailed. I willl apply for the oxford street restaurant one. Try my luck

Wet to the assessment day for that position... only male. Really easy and laid back tho. The telephone interview just asked why Debenhams hospitality - I just refered to their new strategy and how I wanted to be apart of it. They will also ask things like: what would you do if a big group of customers came in whilst you were serving someone. Main thing is to read the Debenhams website and about us page and emphasise the customer service element. BTW if you get to assessment the 121 interview stage one question tripped me up: how would your colleagues tell you are stressed out/under pressure? I should have said they wouldn't.. I would have already told them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 475
Wet to the assessment day for that position... only male. Really easy and laid back tho. The telephone interview just asked why Debenhams hospitality - I just refered to their new strategy and how I wanted to be apart of it. They will also ask things like: what would you do if a big group of customers came in whilst you were serving someone. Main thing is to read the Debenhams website and about us page and emphasise the customer service element. BTW if you get to assessment the 121 interview stage one question tripped me up: how would your colleagues tell you are stressed out/under pressure? I should have said they wouldn't.. I would have already told them.

Were you successful?
Reply 476

I have a telephone interview again with Debenham oxford street restuarant role, what sort of questions were asked on yours? Applied yesterday. Please help, I really want to get it
Reply 477
Original post by Ebuwa
Were you successful?

Not sure only went for assessment last week.
Reply 478
Original post by darkiee
I have a telephone interview again with Debenham oxford street restuarant role, what sort of questions were asked on yours? Applied yesterday. Please help, I really want to get it

Similar structure to your previous interview (5-6 questions)...in terms of questions it depends on the person on the other end.Start off with a very enthusiastic hello, how are you line…youneed to show confidence and good communication skills for the role.
· Ask about yourself
· A competitor that provides outstanding customerservice and why (I used harrods restaurant/ tea room and also said on whatcustomer reviews said they should improve to link the importance of service inthe overall dining experience)
· Why Debenhams and why hospitality
· What would you do if the restaurant/café wasbusy and a large group entered (emphasised the ability to scan the room to seepossible tasks/ working as a team/ not neglecting s customer to deal with the situationespecially in an era where a single person can use the internet to vent frustration)
· What one of the 3 concepts best suits you andwhy (I chose the café as it was contemporary/ referred to Starbucks and how I andmany in my generation have developed a coffee culture and I canrelate/understand the customer needs)
In the assessment just a group task on listing what constitutesa first class customer service: first 10 minutes individual and then split into2 groups to choose 4 best and then the two groups present 2 each.
Hey guys, so I went for my assessment group thing a week and a bit ago now, and I thought it went pretty well, except for the person interviewing me was new there too, and had just moved from Scotland, so had no idea about the store opposite that had shut down was a department store also that I worked in for almost 2 years lol.

Anyway, I still hadn't heard back from them, so I rang on friday, and the lady said my file hasn't been updated, so i guess this means they're either still making a decision or haven't updated my file on their computers and said she would call me back on Monday....does this sound good or bad?

how long on average does it take them to reply back after a recruitment event?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending