The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Hi Guys

I 'm worried about a CRB check as I think I have a caution.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of having a caution and a CRB check done, and if it affected the job they had applied for?

Many Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you have a criminal record, you'll be fine
Reply 2
If it is spent, then you are okay. Even if it is not, it is not a conviction and so while it will show up on your check, it should not preclude your getting through the check.

Depending on what the caution is for, and the nature of the job you are being checked for, and how the org. runs their recruitment processes, you may find that you are asked to provide mitigation for this caution.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies

I have applied for a subject access request from my local police force to see what they have on the PNC, so I'm currently waiting to get that back and see whats there, hoping it will put my mind at rest/prepare me for the crb outcome!

It's a bit disconcerting but I'm not sure if a business could deny you a role because of a caution 5 years ago?
As long as it isnt anything dodgey- if youre working with kids etc? I guess as Evidza says it depends on the business.

If ayone has any experience of police cautions and CRB checks, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
I recieved a police caution 2 years ago and i've had 2 enhanced CRBS done since then and it's never showed up so does this mean it won't ever show up? Am quite worried as the uni course i would like to do requires a crb check and am scared it might just pop up?
I've heard of spent cautions being removed from the database after a phonecall. A lot of the time they're updated onto local intelligence networks rather than a national database. When asked on an application form for convictions you can quite honestly state none.
Reply 6
cautions stay on your record for life and will come up on any enhanced or standard CRB checks. You are excluded from any or all worthwhile paid jobs and you cant even become a cleaner in a school !

I would suggest that anyone with a caution that should disappear (over time) contact liberty and explain the situation. If you did the same thing in any other country your record is wiped. In this country we discriminate against our own people. So someone from France, Poland, Germany with the same issues would not have a criminal record, but someone form UK will, no wonder UK people are finding it impossible to find jobs.

The Labour government has excluded (on purposes) its own citizerns from pursuing wortwhile careers in any profession or vocation which is highly paid. This was to ensure UK citizerns are kept as lowly paid employees compared to any other European national that comes to this country.

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/index.php
Reply 7
the law when retention of cautions was changed on the 29th may. If you have a cautionas an adult over 18 it should be filtered off criminal records checks after 6 years unless it was for one of a list of more serious offences

If you got a reprimand. When you were under 18, and again for minor matters it should be off after 2 years

If any reason, it is not filtered off but you need it removing now, it may be possible to do so, depending upon all the circumstances of the offence, whether you can show procedural irregularities or other exceptional circumstances

If you need further advice on this I will be happy to advise further

Regards

David Wacks
Reply 8
I don't understand how you only think you have a caution - for you to be given a caution you have to accept it so you'd know. If you can't remember accepting it, the liklihood is you don't have one.
Reply 9
Original post by boobear123
cautions stay on your record for life and will come up on any enhanced or standard CRB checks. You are excluded from any or all worthwhile paid jobs and you cant even become a cleaner in a school !

I would suggest that anyone with a caution that should disappear (over time) contact liberty and explain the situation. If you did the same thing in any other country your record is wiped. In this country we discriminate against our own people. So someone from France, Poland, Germany with the same issues would not have a criminal record, but someone form UK will, no wonder UK people are finding it impossible to find jobs.

The Labour government has excluded (on purposes) its own citizerns from pursuing wortwhile careers in any profession or vocation which is highly paid. This was to ensure UK citizerns are kept as lowly paid employees compared to any other European national that comes to this country.

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/index.php

Glad to see someone understands how it really is.... is nutz when you consider people running from europe to come here and having clean slates and a better career/job in the end. Would like to add perhaps it works both ways, brits can migrate to Europe where no dbs/crb checks exist since they still remember human being values.

thanks for the site will check it out!
Reply 10
Also the original question while ages ago is strange, one would have to accept the caution to get it like above poster mentioned.

dbs/crb checks are now getting a little better since they moved to dbs checks, they are no longer giving out checks to "anyone" only where the job and company asking for a type of check, and if its appropriate then they are giving them to the company.

Most jobs do still ask for criminal convictions if if your time is spent on application forms, but in regards to running actual dbs/crb checks it would seem not many especially for normal jobs via office/retail/stores etc, but jobs which involve direct sole access to elderly/children they will need e-chanced checks.

Basic job checks do not reveal cautions, standard and en-chanced do show cautions and crimes, but as I said all depends on the job your going for. One can always decline filling in the dbs/crb check and decline the position etc.
Reply 11
Original post by Littlejonesy
Hi Guys

I 'm worried about a CRB check as I think I have a caution.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of having a caution and a CRB check done, and if it affected the job they had applied for?

Many Thanks

I got a reprimand (juvenile caution) at 16 im now 22 and it shows on my CRB, despite popular belife cautions show on any version of the CRB check done, as I recently learned. Has it blocked my path to jobs.. yes&no.. like some jobs Id like to apply for but dont as I know you neef a clean CRB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
At 14 I was given something from the police, I was read my rights and had my details taken but i've no idea what I was officially given. I've had an enhanced CRB and it was clean. Seems like it's pot luck tbh.

And no I don't really think I or anyone else who has a one off event of idiocy in their youth should spend the rest of their lives paying for it, it's pathetic.
Reply 13
Original post by Ham22
At 14 I was given something from the police, I was read my rights and had my details taken but i've no idea what I was officially given. I've had an enhanced CRB and it was clean. Seems like it's pot luck tbh.

And no I don't really think I or anyone else who has a one off event of idiocy in their youth should spend the rest of their lives paying for it, it's pathetic.

Yh suppose depends what it was for tbh...mine was for fighting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Damage
Yh suppose depends what it was for tbh...mine was for fighting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theft. (:colondollar:)
Reply 15
Original post by Ham22
Theft. (:colondollar:)

Which is bad as it shows dishonesy tbh.. id rather take my fighting caution because that can be explained easily with excuses... theft would be a hard one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Damage
Which is bad as it shows dishonesy tbh.. id rather take my fighting caution because that can be explained easily with excuses... theft would be a hard one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's a good job it appears to have been wiped then isn't it.
Reply 17
Original post by Ham22
Well it's a good job it appears to have been wiped then isn't it.

It wouldn't have been "wiped" it probably was never logged down on the police computer base. You were lucky l, end of the day police can not persue with a caution and just tell you off, its up to the discretion of that officer. Wish the one thst nicked me just let me off instead of messing with my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Caution is classed as a conviction. The reason it is classed as a conviction, is because when one receives a caution, it is a admission of guilt. Cautions are spent, five years after one receives it, but they will show up on a CRB check for life.
Reply 19
Original post by CelticSymphony67
A Caution is classed as a conviction. The reason it is classed as a conviction, is because when one receives a caution, it is a admission of guilt. Cautions are spent, five years after one receives it, but they will show up on a CRB check for life.

Wrong! A conviction is different. Even on a crb a conviction is in a separate category to a caution

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending