The Student Room Group

Country Descriptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birchington
I'm happy to continue working on getting this sorted if you don't mind.

I haven't got any issue with that. :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by Birchington
I'm happy to continue working on getting this sorted if you don't mind.

That's absolutely fine! :biggrin:
Reply 122
Now I've just joined as the new representative for the UAE could I re-write the travesty that is the UAE's country profile? It looks like it was written by a child and some of the "lil facts" aren't really facts and are inaccurate, am I allowed to amend it or do I have to suffer with it until I leave the MUN? :redface:
Original post by Losho
Now I've just joined as the new representative for the UAE could I re-write the travesty that is the UAE's country profile? It looks like it was written by a child and some of the "lil facts" aren't really facts and are inaccurate, am I allowed to amend it or do I have to suffer with it until I leave the MUN? :redface:

You must miss Russia. Yeah you can submit another profile of UAE.
Reply 124
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Why must I miss Russia? :s-smilie: that's good :smile:
Reply 125
This is what I have done so far

The Federal Republic of Germany

Founded: 1949 (Reunified in 1990)
Federal Parliamentary Democracy
Head of State: President, elected by Federal Convention
Head of Government: Chancellor
Parliament: Bundestag (Federal Diet) directly elected and Bundesrat (Federal Council) represents the States
States/Lander: Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Hesse, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Schleswig-Holstein and Thuringia.
Member of: EU, UN, NATO, G8,G20, OECD, Council of Europe, OSCE, IMF, World Bank and WTO

Anything else I can include?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 126
Feedback on what I have done so far would be helpful.

I will be including a bit on the EU and key Treaties, the 2+4 one and others. Regarding the German/EU relations; rehabilitation, economics, more assertive since reunification etc

Once Germany is done, I will be doing one on the EU
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
Feedback on what I have done so far would be helpful.

I will be including a bit on the EU and key Treaties, the 2+4 one and others. Regarding the German/EU relations; rehabilitation, economics, more assertive since reunification etc

Once Germany is done, I will be doing one on the EU

I'm EU representative though and I've already submitted one, so why?

Who wrote Russias one was it Tehfrance? Its heinous!
Reply 129
Is there a template to go off as I've got the main parts that are required for the UAE's profile and I just need to know how to lay it out as the profiles I've looked at all have different formatting :redface:
Reply 130
Original post by Losho
Is there a template to go off as I've got the main parts that are required for the UAE's profile and I just need to know how to lay it out as the profiles I've looked at all have different formatting :redface:

This is a good example:

India

Capital: New Delhi
Continent: Although it is in Asia, it is pretty much its own continent i.e. Indian sub-continent
President: Pranab Mukherjee
Languages: Hindi and English
Currency: Rupee! (Isn’t that fun to say out loud?)

TSR:

On TSR- India is a permanent member of the Security Council- thus it means you must be elected to fill this position

As it is a BRIC nation, it has tremendous influence over international politics; hence it is a very fulfilling position to hold on TSR

Politics:

India is technically the largest populous ‘democracy’ on the planet with a population of over a million

Third largest army in the world/Nuclear state

The United Progressive Alliance are at the helm, a left-leaning party

Multi-party system mirroring its pluralistic society

India’s immense size is owest to its composition of 27 states

Economy:

Developing industrialised nation- market based (as many of you will experience from Indian call centers )

In terms of GDP, one of the fastest growing economies on the planet

Religion:

Largely Hindu (causing tensions with Muslims in the north)

Society:

Multi-ethnic, multilingual society

Despite India’s growing wealth, it is also noted for its massive wealth gap- epitomised in Mumbai which has the biggest slum in India

Caste-system- a rigid social hierarchy. India emphasises traditional family values, having an incredibly low divorce rate.

Current issues:

The rights of women- As was epitomised in the tragic rape of a physiotherapy student in Delhi 2012. India has a poor legal framework in terms of sexual assaults on women, receiving international condemnation on the issue.

Allies: USA, EU, Russia, France, UK and Canada

Hostilities towards: China and Pakistan

In the opinion of the present representative to India, Cheese_Monster, Indian food is the best in the world.
Reply 131
Original post by Aek-94
I'm EU representative though and I've already submitted one, so why?

The one I intended would have included every single Treaty since the formation of the European Coal and Steel Community. Rome, SEA, Maastricht etc. It would include the institutions of the EU, competences aswell etc.

I shall be including a section on Germany and the EU in the profile which I am currently working on. Also it's campaign to get onto the Security Council. I am discussing the economy atm

There was a European dimension regarding the reunfication of Germany.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RoryS
This is a good example:

India

Capital: New Delhi
Continent: Although it is in Asia, it is pretty much its own continent i.e. Indian sub-continent
President: Pranab Mukherjee
Languages: Hindi and English
Currency: Rupee! (Isn’t that fun to say out loud?)

TSR:

On TSR- India is a permanent member of the Security Council- thus it means you must be elected to fill this position

As it is a BRIC nation, it has tremendous influence over international politics; hence it is a very fulfilling position to hold on TSR

Politics:

India is technically the largest populous ‘democracy’ on the planet with a population of over a million

Third largest army in the world/Nuclear state

The United Progressive Alliance are at the helm, a left-leaning party

Multi-party system mirroring its pluralistic society

India’s immense size is owest to its composition of 27 states

Economy:

Developing industrialised nation- market based (as many of you will experience from Indian call centers )

In terms of GDP, one of the fastest growing economies on the planet

Religion:

Largely Hindu (causing tensions with Muslims in the north)

Society:

Multi-ethnic, multilingual society

Despite India’s growing wealth, it is also noted for its massive wealth gap- epitomised in Mumbai which has the biggest slum in India

Caste-system- a rigid social hierarchy. India emphasises traditional family values, having an incredibly low divorce rate.

Current issues:

The rights of women- As was epitomised in the tragic rape of a physiotherapy student in Delhi 2012. India has a poor legal framework in terms of sexual assaults on women, receiving international condemnation on the issue.

Allies: USA, EU, Russia, France, UK and Canada

Hostilities towards: China and Pakistan

In the opinion of the present representative to India, Cheese_Monster, Indian food is the best in the world.

Cheers Rory, though I see a glaring mistake in my own profile- India has over a 'billion' in population, not a million :tongue:
Original post by cl_steele
Who wrote Russias one was it Tehfrance? Its heinous!

Yeah it was tehFrance! :tongue: feel free to submit your own version to Rory or Birchington! I will pledge to write another ten country profiles when I'm home..
Reply 134
Germany's enemies?

Difficult

Allies is easy: USA, EU, France, UK etc
Also as a general note for anyone planning to write a description, the main point is to be persuasive that the nation is worth representing (hence to increase activity) and to be informative so that reps know where there country stands or where potential hypes lay.
Also as a general note for anyone planning to write a description, the main point is to be persuasive that the nation is worth representing (hence to increase activity) and to be informative so that reps know where there country stands or where potential hypes lay.

Do you knowwhere the page for the descriptions is i cant find it :frown:
Reply 137
I am going in depth as much as I can, be prepared to be AMAZED

There is a Federal Election taking place in September which is worth noting
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 138
Cheers Rory, though I see a glaring mistake in my own profile- India has over a 'billion' in population, not a million :tongue:

No worries.

Oh I didn't notice that! Ha ha never mind... :tongue:
Original post by Morgsie
There is a Federal Election taking place in September which is worth noting
It's going to be an interesting result! Merkel's party is going to win pretty big but she might not have a coalition partner if the FDP are wiped out. Hooray for European politics geekery :biggrin:

I'm going to write a lot of descriptions over next week to speed things up a bit.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending