The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ultimate1
Still cannot come to grips with this disgraceful tournament.

Nadal and Federer both tanking then obvious injuries to Del Potro and Ferrer! Djokovic hasnt fully recovered from the beating claydal handed him at RG! Murray had a suspiciously easy route to the final not facing a top 20 player until the final no credit deserved for this "win"Too many underdog wins to list and making Novak change his shoes day of the final and THEM line calls, I guess money can buy you any tournament you want!That final looked fixed beyond belief and wouldn't be a surprise giving how nadal, federer and serena both 100/1 to win lose! Then the 2 underdogs winning the finals! Novak was holding back for a reason! The truth is out there! Novaks shot selection and taking something off clear winners to give his opponent a chance was too obvious!

Murray can only beat the people in front of him. Not his fault Federer and Nadal lost/were injured.

A no.2 seed is never really an underdog, not in the true sense of the word.

To conclude; you're a tool.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Yeah should've thought it would be Nadal at RG. Doubt it's happened at Wimbledon though.

Found one! :biggrin:

Becker (4) def. Lendl (1) 6-4, 6-3, 7-5 - 1986 Wimbledon Final
Original post by Xotol
2011 was arguably the GOAT year by a tennis player - 42 win match streak to start it off, winning 3 slams, finishing the year with the ridiculous record. All against a still very good - albeit slightly declining - Federer, a prime Nadal and a very very good Murray.

To match those kind of results year in year out would really require out of this world tennis. Not surprised he's cooled off, but he's still the best.

Look, if he wins the US Open, he'll have won 2/4 and have had the best year out of all the players again.

I think it all shows how great Federer was at his prime to produce the 04-07 years, consistently winning 3 slams in a year and looking untouchable at all times. Prime Nadal neither prime Djokovic have been able to live upto or even repeat the results of their greatest years yet Federer did it for 3 straight years. Although I do agree that Djokovic had a fabulous year in 2011 upto the USO , he faltered after it, losing to very weak opponents and flopped the WTF and for that reason I don't it can become a GOAT year. The more Djokovic plays the more and more it looks like as if 2011 was a huge anamoly for him tbh.

Original post by PoisonSky
I know you hate Murray. Murray's just won wimbledon. But why discredit him, belittle the achievement? He's produced an unarguably good game, he had to, to beat world no 1 Djokovic. The majority of the nation is happy right now. You're coming dangerously close to sounding like sour grapes

Yes I am probably sounding like sour grapes. It's gonna take me some time to come to terms with what transpired today. Wish prime Nadal and Federer were still aroubd to school Murray in the slams.
(edited 10 years ago)

Nadal and Federer both tanking then obvious injuries to Del Potro and Ferrer! Djokovic hasnt fully recovered from the beating claydal handed him at RG! Murray had a suspiciously easy route to the final not facing a top 20 player until the final no credit deserved for this "win"Too many underdog wins to list and making Novak change his shoes day of the final and THEM line calls, I guess money can buy you any tournament you want!That final looked fixed beyond belief and wouldn't be a surprise giving how nadal, federer and serena both 100/1 to win lose! Then the 2 underdogs winning the finals! Novak was holding back for a reason! The truth is out there! Novaks shot selection and taking something off clear winners to give his opponent a chance was too obvious!

Reply 6604
Original post by Xotol
2011 was arguably the GOAT year by a tennis player - 42 win match streak to start it off, winning 3 slams, finishing the year with the ridiculous record. All against a still very good - albeit slightly declining - Federer, a prime Nadal and a very very good Murray.

To match those kind of results year in year out would really require out of this world tennis. Not surprised he's cooled off, but he's still the best.

Look, if he wins the US Open, he'll have won 2/4 and have had the best year out of all the players again.

But if Murray or Nadal win US OPEN then they will have the best year.
Original post by ubi1
But if Murray or Nadal win US OPEN then they will have the best year.

Tbh Nadal has a phenomenal record this year so far albeit most of his tournaments have been on clay.

It still remains to be seen how good Nadal is on hardcourts even though he won IW. I love the enrgy and passion Nadal brings to the court though. His work ethic is incredible tbh. Although despite this I generally root against him in the slams because Federer's record needs to be preserved :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6606
Original post by Drewski
Murray can only beat the people in front of him. Not his fault Federer and Nadal lost/were injured.

A no.2 seed is never really an underdog, not in the true sense of the word.

To conclude; you're a tool.

Was that you, Ultimate1, who negged this post? If so, real mature. Your surprisingly high rep power won't stay with you long if you keep acting so anti-Murray, even when he's just won Wimbledon. I think you've already negged one of my posts too. Even if you haven't I'm a long way off 0 rep and a long way off 50, so not much difference there.

In conclusion, you must have realised by now there are many of us who don't quite appreciate your obsessive hate for Murray, why not just let it go?
(edited 10 years ago)
Touche

And another one: Fred Perry (2) def. Jack Crawford (1) 6-3, 6-0, 7-5 - 1934 Wimbledon Final

I'm really bored atm, so... yeah.
Yes I am probably sounding like sour grapes. It's gonna take me some time to come to terms with what transpired today. Wish prime Nadal and Federer were still aroubd to school Murray in the slams.

Might as well wish for the West Indian fast bowling attack of the 70s to face up against the best test batsmen of today, or the '66 England squad playing against the current Spain team, or Fangio to race against Vettel, or the Liverpool team of the 80s to play in the Premiership now...

Sport doesn't and will never work like that.

We get that you hate Murray, but your argument goes against everything in sport. If you're that set against life, perhaps you shouldn't follow it?
Original post by PoisonSky
Was that you, Ultimate1, who negged him? If so, real mature. Your surprisingly high rep power won't stay with you long if you keep acting so anti-Murray, even when he's just won Wimbledon. I think you've already negged one of my posts too. Even if you haven't I'm a long way off 0 rep and a long way off 50, so not much difference there.

In conclusion, you must have realised by now there are many of us who don't quite appreciate your obsessive hate for Murray, why not just let it go?

...think you might've quoted the wrong person, or made it appear that way. I'm certainly not anti-Murray.
Reply 6610

No offense but you do sound SO bitter. Murray was in the hardest half, it's not his fault Nadal and Federer didn't play well.

He beat the world no 1 in the final and played some exceptional tennis, to claim it was rigged is just fanatical.
Touche

Only other one I can find at any other slam is Wilander over Lendl at the 1983 Australian Open. Borg was #1 seed at 1978 US Open and lost in straight sets to Connors but I think Connors was actually the world #1.

I might have missed something but you raised a very good point and highlighted something very few people have done, so it only adds to Murray's great achievement today.
Reply 6612
If Murray Win Montreal and Cincinnati Masters and defends his US OPEN title then he would become World no.1 So basically Murray needs to win Montreal Masters and another Masters from Paris, Cincinnati and shanghai or even the WTF and he will become world no.1
Reply 6613
Original post by ubi1
If Murray Win Montreal and Cincinnati Masters and defends his US OPEN title then he would become World no.1 So basically Murray needs to win Montreal Masters and another Masters from Paris, Cincinnati and shanghai or even the WTF and he will become world no.1

How can you say that? Surely it depends on what Djokavic does in the mean time as well?
Alright let's out my mirray hate aside we have to admitnone thing; the match was not worthy of beibg a gs final.

All the GS finals this year have been pretty tbh.
Original post by Krish4791
And another one: Fred Perry (2) def. Jack Crawford (1) 6-3, 6-0, 7-5 - 1934 Wimbledon Final

I'm really bored atm, so... yeah.

As you can see by my last post I'm bored as well, although looking at the record books is fascinating. I wasn't even going to consider looking at the pre-open era, so you beat me.
Reply 6616
Alright let's out my mirray hate aside we have to admitnone thing; the match was not worthy of beibg a gs final.

I'm sorry what? It was a great final, they both played some great tennis and everyone of the previous GS winners who commented seemed to think so.

I assume a great final to you is Federer beating Fernando Gonzalez in 3 sets?
Original post by TheMagicRat
As you can see by my last post I'm bored as well, although looking at the record books is fascinating. I wasn't even going to consider looking at the pre-open era, so you beat me.

Thank you :tongue: - Also found Tanner def. Vilas at 1977 AO. It is fascinating to go back in time and almost re-live some of these records.

Hottest Wimbledon final for over 30yrs, it's no wonder that neither player really hit the heights. There was some amazing tennis being played, but the conditions weren't conducive to it being prolonged. 3+hrs in that heat is not normally overty taxing to these guys, but when you add in the mental strains of it being a final... I'm not going to hold it against either one of them.

And anyway, not as if the history books will have an asterisk against them saying: "A. Murray, Wimbledon 2013* (*but only because he was slightly less tired than someone else and a few other guys got beat)"
Reply 6619
Original post by Idle
How can you say that? Surely it depends on what Djokavic does in the mean time as well?

If Murray Wins Montreal and Shanghai then Djokovic loses close 1000 points where as Murray gains 2000 as Murray didnt perform well at these tournaments last year. So if Murray can Defend Us Open and win Montreal and Shanghai and have a decent run at Paris and Cincinnati Masters then he becomes the new World no.1

Also this may be the year when Murray wins WTF its possible.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest