The Student Room Group

Retaking A Level whilst at Uni...

At a pretty decent university (top 20) for my course and overall, studying Economics however I've realised I didn't achieve my potential during my A Levels due to a variety of issues, just wondered if it is possible to sit a new A level to bring my overall grades up (top 3)...If so is it just a matter of studying for it, finding a centre then sitting it after paying the appropriate fees? Also I plan to do two module exams in January and two the following summer (I am going to be in second year in October).

Secondly, I assume if I sit with AQA as my other A levels, I will get a fresh certificate when i complete with my current completed A levels as well as the new one I intend on completing, to make it a more fuller picture? No matter what centre I complete it at, as it is AQA who certificates them...?

Thanks in advance, and any questions in regards to applying to uni and what not if you want to study Economics or the like, feel free to ask, good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes a woman on my Psychology evening course for a level was in Uni, so you can do it if you think you can manage the work load.

You can enter as a private candidate and then yes you just need to find a centre and pay (ranges from £20 to £80 per exam).

However, due to the a level reforms you can only sit exams in June now so no January exams!

And yes you get a new certificate with your new grade. Make sure you use the same candidate number you had when sitting your a levels first time round.

Good Luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aries1992
Yes a woman on my Psychology evening course for a level was in Uni, so you can do it if you think you can manage the work load.

You can enter as a private candidate and then yes you just need to find a centre and pay (range from £20 to £80 per exam).

However, due to the a level reforms you can only sit exams in June now so no January exams!

And yes you get a new certificate with your new grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, sounds possible then, aah thats a little bit annoying in relation to the reforms, so would have to try and sit all 4 modules in June? ...Little bit difficult I am thinking, was hoping to sit in January.

Just to clarify on the certificate, so I will get a fresh certificate from AQA, with my current A levels as well as the new one below all on one sheet?

Cheers
It's Possible.

I did this in jan,retook 2 psychology units whilst I was a second year.

Just make sure you revise as you go along and you should be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by GGecko
Thanks for the reply, sounds possible then, aah thats a little bit annoying in relation to the reforms, so would have to try and sit all 4 modules in June? ...Little bit difficult I am thinking, was hoping to sit in January.

Just to clarify on the certificate, so I will get a fresh certificate from AQA, with my current A levels as well as the new one below all on one sheet?

Cheers

I know it really is a pain.

Yes if you are resitting modules from your old a levels and all your exams are with the same exam board you will get one certificate with all on, however, if you are just doing a new a level it will be separate and just show this a level.

You will also just get this new a level on your results slip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What's 'Cashing in' your A level then? Was under the impression that after you've cashed in then you are unable to retake exams etc.
Reply 6
Original post by YDQ
What's 'Cashing in' your A level then? Was under the impression that after you've cashed in then you are unable to retake exams etc.

Cashing in allows the exam board to give you an overall grade. For example, if you just did AS and didn't want to do A2 you'd cash in your AS modules to receive a grade just for AS. Likewise to receive an A2 grade all your modules need to be cashed in.

No you can retake even if they've been cashed in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GGecko
At a pretty decent university (top 20) for my course and overall, studying Economics however I've realised I didn't achieve my potential during my A Levels due to a variety of issues, just wondered if it is possible to sit a new A level to bring my overall grades up (top 3)...If so is it just a matter of studying for it, finding a centre then sitting it after paying the appropriate fees? Also I plan to do two module exams in January and two the following summer (I am going to be in second year in October).

Secondly, I assume if I sit with AQA as my other A levels, I will get a fresh certificate when i complete with my current completed A levels as well as the new one I intend on completing, to make it a more fuller picture? No matter what centre I complete it at, as it is AQA who certificates them...?

Thanks in advance, and any questions in regards to applying to uni and what not if you want to study Economics or the like, feel free to ask, good luck!

Far better to spend the extra time studying your degree course. The most recent qualification dwarfs your second most recent in terms of importance. I suspect you would be better off with 2:1 + say BBB than 2:2 + A*A*A*. It might give you an edge, but probably will not be any more useful than General studies was back in year 12.
Reply 8
Original post by GGecko
, just wondered if it is possible to sit a new A level to bring my overall grades up (top 3)...If so is it just a matter of studying for it, finding a centre then sitting it after paying the appropriate fees?

It is possible but it probably isn't worth it. What subject were you thinking of studying as anything with coursework can be very difficult to achieve if you teach yourself (as there is no one to authenticate the work as yours)

Original post by GGecko
Also I plan to do two module exams in January and two the following summer

As a previous poster has said, there are now only Summer exams (entry deadline at the exam board 21 March, but centres will set earlier deadlines). I am sure you would be better off not bothering and concentrating on your university exams.

Original post by GGecko
Secondly, I assume if I sit with AQA as my other A levels, I will get a fresh certificate when i complete with my current completed A levels as well as the new one I intend on completing, to make it a more fuller picture? No matter what centre I complete it at, as it is AQA who certificates them...?!

No, you will just get a certificate with the new subject you have taken.
Reply 9
Reason I plan to, is just because for the top end places to work, I fall short just by one grade in regards to their high entry requirements for A level, so I thought I may as well go ahead, I understand something like Business/Sociology has no CW, and just exams, so shouldn't have problems in that respect.
Reply 10
Original post by GGecko
Reason I plan to, is just because for the top end places to work, I fall short just by one grade in regards to their high entry requirements for A level, so I thought I may as well go ahead, I understand something like Business/Sociology has no CW, and just exams, so shouldn't have problems in that respect.

You must be applying to some weird IB jobs because I've never heard of employers turning down candidates with a 2:1 or 1st just because their A levels are crap. Even GCSEs matter more for jobs than A level because they are the benchmark of english and maths skills. A levels are just exams you take to get into university really. Doesn't teach you anything applicable to the real world.
Original post by GGecko

No, no coursework for Sociology. Is GS accepted by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SR255
You must be applying to some weird IB jobs because I've never heard of employers turning down candidates with a 2:1 or 1st just because their A levels are crap. Even GCSEs matter more for jobs than A level because they are the benchmark of english and maths skills. A levels are just exams you take to get into university really. Doesn't teach you anything applicable to the real world.

One of my friends has been turned away from alot of graduate jobs because of her A levels and she got a 1st :frown:. Its a shame really that employers appear to care so much about A levels, but, I reckon the reason they do is in order just to reduce the number of applicants.
Original post by GGecko

Hi Folks,

I've just joined the Student Room for the first time and I'm reading these posts regarding the retake of A Levels. I'd say go for it if you can and just don't give up. Life is always about facing challenges and conquering them.

I now feel hopeful towards the future.I'm doing exactly the same where I'm not only working in full-time employment but also I'm studying towards a professional qualification within further education (part of my job requirements) and I'm also retaking my A Levels to improve my grades. However, I'm prioritising my studies accordingly.

I hope to share my success story with all of you as time progresses.

Best wishes,
Anu
Reply 14
Original post by Orangecake
It's Possible.

I did this in jan,retook 2 psychology units whilst I was a second year.

Just make sure you revise as you go along and you should be fine.

This is an old thread but im curious, what was your previous grades and did they improve? May do this to bring a B to an A and a C to a B as i'm 4 marks off and 2 marks off respectively. Thanks
Original post by ChiFlee
This is an old thread but im curious, what was your previous grades and did they improve? May do this to bring a B to an A and a C to a B as i'm 4 marks off and 2 marks off respectively. Thanks

I had previously only taken psychology at AS but wanted to complete it. So I took units 3+4 in jan. My overall grade was an A.

You could easily bump up those grades :wink:
Reply 16
Oh nice, well done!! Yeah i think I may do so next year, definitely will for the C though. I just panicked in the exam I've been getting As all year, thanks for the reply :smile:
If i want to resit one exam do i have to go back to the same exam centre (school) i did it before or can i resit in a new one
Reply 18
Original post by Samantha01
If i want to resit one exam do i have to go back to the same exam centre (school) i did it before or can i resit in a new one

you can resit at a different centre if they're willing to accept you, and providing they use the same exam board as you

Quick Reply

Latest