The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Natural Sciences 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sunnyfunny2011
And I love it! It's the only subject I got good grades in school lol! I'm looking forward to it. Which pathway are you starting?

If i run into some difficulties I'll have to give you a shout haha!

Im going down the astronomy and planetary science pathway hopefully to follow it on to a masters!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
The problem with OU Science is the lack of lab experience. A career in 'practical' science is probably out of the question because you won't be able to claim 'competence' in lab safety procedures. Even if you're planning on teaching science, you won't know where to start with A Level practicals. I speak from experience, sadly.
How is everyone doing? Have you sort out your finances? I'm still undecided whether to go for this course or not?? I'm looking into access courses but not sure In what. I have 3 a levels but not good grades. Should I do access course or should I just go for OU degree?? Sooo hard to choose. Hmm
Reply 43
Original post by Sunnyfunny2011
How is everyone doing? Have you sort out your finances? I'm still undecided whether to go for this course or not?? I'm looking into access courses but not sure In what. I have 3 a levels but not good grades. Should I do access course or should I just go for OU degree?? Sooo hard to choose. Hmm

Hi Sunnyfunny2011, how are you? I've got to send off my signed form for Student finance and I'm done!

I cant wait to start this course, what is it that is holding you back? Is it the work load? or content? If you're unsure then an access course may be a good idea as it'll prepare you for the course a little bit more!

Let me know if you have any concerns :-)

Lee
Original post by lee1710
Hi Sunnyfunny2011, how are you? I've got to send off my signed form for Student finance and I'm done!

I cant wait to start this course, what is it that is holding you back? Is it the work load? or content? If you're unsure then an access course may be a good idea as it'll prepare you for the course a little bit more!

Let me know if you have any concerns :-)

Lee

Thanks!! Think ill enrol in my modules. Haw many credits are you doing this year?? Are u studying full time??
Reply 45
Can't decide on what to study. This course interests me but I have no real experience in these science subjects since high school and maths isn't my strong point. I'm 28 and have no clear career goals. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Berimbolo
Can't decide on what to study. This course interests me but I have no real experience in these science subjects since high school and maths isn't my strong point. I'm 28 and have no clear career goals. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there... I'm exactly same age as you and in the same situation. I live science but I do not have any career goals. I'm thinking of studying the course and see where my interest leads me :wink:
Reply 47
Original post by crimblenut
The problem with OU Science is the lack of lab experience. A career in 'practical' science is probably out of the question because you won't be able to claim 'competence' in lab safety procedures. Even if you're planning on teaching science, you won't know where to start with A Level practicals. I speak from experience, sadly.

I phoned around some universities with a strong science presence and they have said that as a lot of science lab work is now being done via online lab work, having an OU science degree will not be a hinderance.
Maybe it has changed within the last few years but this doesn't seem to be as big an issue as you say for moving onto postgrad work.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lee1710
I phoned around some universities with a strong science presence and they have said that as a lot of science lab work is now being done via online lab work, having an OU science degree will not be a hinderance.
Maybe it has changed within the last few years but this doesn't seem to be as big an issue as you say for moving onto postgrad work.

So doing Natural Sciences degree at OU wouldn't hinder you in any way if you, say, wanted to go on to a research career? Let's say you take the biology pathway and then decided to do a postgrad afterwards.. would that be possible or does it depend on the university's view on a degree from OU?Are there some universities that don't accept OU degrees?
Reply 49
I am! :smile: Pretty nervous but mainly excited. I am going to take the biology pathway. I have just finished NC biomedical sciences at college which was at Int 2 so its a gonna be a big jump from Int 2 to degree!

Anyone else from Scotland going to be studying this? I am from Ayr :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Starlightmew
So doing Natural Sciences degree at OU wouldn't hinder you in any way if you, say, wanted to go on to a research career? Let's say you take the biology pathway and then decided to do a postgrad afterwards.. would that be possible or does it depend on the university's view on a degree from OU?Are there some universities that don't accept OU degrees?

It certainly shouldn't hinder you. An OU degree is equal to a degree from any other UK university in terms of qualifying you to apply for postgraduate courses. The only example I'm aware of of a university not accepting an OU degree is that UCL doesn't accept OU science degrees for graduate entry to their medical degree course.
Original post by psyc_postgrad
It certainly shouldn't hinder you. An OU degree is equal to a degree from any other UK university in terms of qualifying you to apply for postgraduate courses. The only example I'm aware of of a university not accepting an OU degree is that UCL doesn't accept OU science degrees for graduate entry to their medical degree course.

Do you know if they accept physics OU degrees for their astrophysics masters?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Hi,
Just finished my registration. I am going to study the broad based natural science pathway. Can't wait to start this new step in my life!
Original post by noemievrkm
Hi,
Just finished my registration. I am going to study the broad based natural science pathway. Can't wait to start this new step in my life!

Good idea... What are you swaying towards??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by kjglen24
Good idea... What are you swaying towards??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really into geology but chemistry looks really interesting too!
Reply 55
Hi sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am due to study BSc Natural Sciences in October and I was just wondering, what constitutes as lab experience? I would have thought a science course would have required compulsory lab time. Is it done through virtual online work or are there classes you go to at a local uni/college/centre?
Thanks
Reply 56
Original post by Yasmin25
Hi sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am due to study BSc Natural Sciences in October and I was just wondering, what constitutes as lab experience? I would have thought a science course would have required compulsory lab time. Is it done through virtual online work or are there classes you go to at a local uni/college/centre?
Thanks

Hi Yasmin, I've phoned up the OU regarding this issue, I had it too. They do have a lot of virtual lab work that they give to you, I'm given to understand that a lot of other universities are also using this method too. Depending on the course you're doing, you'll also have the opportunity to go to residential schools. My course for example gives you the opportunity to go to an observatory in Mallorca.

I hope this helps :smile:

Lee
Original post by louise6427
Do you know if they accept physics OU degrees for their astrophysics masters?

I've just had a look at the entry requirements for the UCL astrophysics masters and it says,

"A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard."

Thus, I would presume that an OU degree is fine. You could email them to check, if you want to be 100% sure.
Reply 58
Original post by lee1710
Hi Yasmin, I've phoned up the OU regarding this issue, I had it too. They do have a lot of virtual lab work that they give to you, I'm given to understand that a lot of other universities are also using this method too. Depending on the course you're doing, you'll also have the opportunity to go to residential schools. My course for example gives you the opportunity to go to an observatory in Mallorca.

I hope this helps :smile:

Lee

Thanks, your answer helped a lot :smile:

I'm doing the biology pathway of the Natural Sciences degree so hopefully there will be a chance for me to go a residential school abroad too :tongue:
Original post by psyc_postgrad
I've just had a look at the entry requirements for the UCL astrophysics masters and it says,

"A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard."

Thus, I would presume that an OU degree is fine. You could email them to check, if you want to be 100% sure.

Thanks a lot. I'll email them then.

Quick Reply

Latest