The Student Room Group

Difficult choice for a Marketing master...which University - Business school....??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Salgoud
What are you hoping to do once you graduate? Continue in Academia, or work? If you're looking to work in the UK, I'd opt for a university that tops national rankings; if you're working abroad, go for a well-known factor first and national rank 2nd, but try to find a decent balance. If you're looking to pursue a PhD and a career in academia, look at who is working there, what their research is on, whether those topics interest you, and think about whether anyone might make a good masters project supervisor, and a good reference for PhD applications.

I'm thinking to work but I dont have in my mind only UK, maybe it will be in another country..
but if I'm thinking of research and a Phd it can be in a different university...so I will search about these after the master or during the master studies..
Thank u!
Reply 21
Hello!!!

I have offer letters from 6 unis for a Master in Marketing and I need to decide....
The Universitites that offer me a place are Aston - Bradford - Exeter - Loughbrough - Southampton - St.Andrews...and it is pretty difficult to make a decission!!

I would like to ask you if you have anything to comment about these universities.

I know that Aston and Bradford have the triple accreditation of AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA and this is very positive! Moreover, these 2 universitites are in the QS business ranking for the 200 best business schools.
For sure, I prefer some programmes among these 6 universities like Exeter's Programme and it was voted like the university of the year 2013 but I do care for reputation in general, not only in UK and for the career services after the master.

Through my personal search from rankings, questioning friends and reading blogs I understood that St. Andrews has better reputation and Aston University come next among these six...

Any comment will be useful !!

Thank you!!
Reply 22
Hi have you heard anything yet about Cranfield ? I apply for the same course at Aston, caledonian,Glasgow, heriot watt, Strathclyde. Got an offer from Glasgow, Caledonian and heriot, I do prefer aston and Cranfield, I have an interview with Cranfield next week, I think I will choose the school on funding and reputation first
Reply 23
Original post by STDANCE
Hi have you heard anything yet about Cranfield ? I apply for the same course at Aston, caledonian,Glasgow, heriot watt, Strathclyde. Got an offer from Glasgow, Caledonian and heriot, I do prefer aston and Cranfield, I have an interview with Cranfield next week, I think I will choose the school on funding and reputation first

Hi!!

From these universities I do prefer Aston & Cranfield too!
Cranfield is much higher to some rankings than Aston...but the negative in my opinion is that it is in the middle of nowhere... every guy that I asked about Cranfield told me the same.. If this is okay for you for the period of your studies then Cranfield!
But I believe that is better to prefer not only a good reputation but also a uni that can help you in the networking.. and Aston is in a big city and i guess with more job opportunities!

I hope I helped you a little bit cause it's really difficult to make a choice :wink:

Have you heard anything about Bradford...?? I am thinking about Bradford and Aston.. and I do care about reputation and employability.. any help?
Reply 24
I do prefer Cranfield even is in the middle of nowhere, I lived in London for 3 years so I will be happy to be a bit in countryside. The only thing who make the difference for me will be funding and scholarships, employability, career prospect and personal development, reputation and ranking is something important but on my research I really like Cranfield.
Birmingham isn't considered as the safer city among UK, however if you intend to work it be in a city will be an alternative.
how was your interview with Cranfield ?
Reply 25
I had an interview on Friday and got an offer :biggrin: ! Now hard time I need to find funding
:frown:... I still wait answer from Aston but I really think I will go for cranfield
Reply 26
hello eleni!!I am from Greece to and I am planing to do an MSc in Marketing. Have you decide which university you will go??I am between Cardiff and Aston..I was accepted from several other Unis but I believe this 2 are the best...But I can't decide..have you got any advice??In cardiff instead of doing a dissertation you solve a real marketing problem in a company...but cardiff isn't included in Financial times rankings... :/ I am so confused...
Reply 27
Original post by MariaKass
hello eleni!!I am from Greece to and I am planing to do an MSc in Marketing. Have you decide which university you will go??I am between Cardiff and Aston..I was accepted from several other Unis but I believe this 2 are the best...But I can't decide..have you got any advice??In cardiff instead of doing a dissertation you solve a real marketing problem in a company...but cardiff isn't included in Financial times rankings... :/ I am so confused...

In cranfield, you will as be given a real marketing problems In a company with your team. Consider Cranfield, there are many opportunities and many people from Greece many other countries Europe :smile:
Reply 28

Hello Maria!!

I decided to go Bradford University, finally.. :wink:

Between these two unis, Aston & Cardiff as I see in rankings Aston is higher almost in all rankings.. But I have already made a mini search about Aston..about Cardiff I dont know much..

You can look if both have the triple-accreditation, Aston has this.

You could also try to speak with students from these unis from the master that you are interested to.. this was very helpful! For me facebook search machine worked well and I found many students and spoke with them before I decide.. :wink: otherwise ask the International office of the university..but they will not suggest you too many students..

It is very attractive that Cardiff has the opportunity instead of doing a dissertation to solve a real marketing problem..and also Cardiff uni is member of Russell group and some guys told me that there will be many events with managers or companies.
On the other side Aston has a very good reputation for business for Cardiff as I told you I dont know... :frown: maybe it has also... speak with students from there!
a! Aston gives opprtunity for erasmus exchange in some masters..

Moreover, maybe you have to think the city..I believe that Cardiff is more beutiful, with sea at close...than Birmingham.. but Birmingham is one of the biggest cities with many oportunities for job after..

I have the same dilemmas and I believe that I didnt helped you much with my comments.. it is a really difficult choice!
I dont know much for Cardiff..but for Aston everyone that I spoke to was satisfied.

The most advices for me were to look the content of the master and which is more attractive and interesting. You should try to think which master do you like most..
and my advice...with which of these two... was "love at first sight"... has this click for you.. (I cannot write in greeks but you understand our expression i guess :wink: )

Also ask these unis how many students are working 3 months after they finished..? a percent or something..or search on internet..there are some rankings for this too..or ask the carreer service of these uni and compare their answers or even how quickly they respond..

I hope that I helped you a little bit :wink:
Good luck with anything that you will do!!
for any question do not hesitate to ask again! :wink:
Reply 29
Original post by Venom123
In cranfield, you will as be given a real marketing problems In a company with your team. Consider Cranfield, there are many opportunities and many people from Greece many other countries Europe :smile:

thank you very much!!I agree with you for the programme, it seems very interesting!!and it also has good rankings, but because I know my self I won't stay in this area not even for a month!! :/
Reply 30
Original post by eleni_di
Hello Maria!!

I decided to go Bradford University, finally.. :wink:

Between these two unis, Aston & Cardiff as I see in rankings Aston is higher almost in all rankings.. But I have already made a mini search about Aston..about Cardiff I dont know much..

You can look if both have the triple-accreditation, Aston has this.

You could also try to speak with students from these unis from the master that you are interested to.. this was very helpful! For me facebook search machine worked well and I found many students and spoke with them before I decide.. :wink: otherwise ask the International office of the university..but they will not suggest you too many students..

It is very attractive that Cardiff has the opportunity instead of doing a dissertation to solve a real marketing problem..and also Cardiff uni is member of Russell group and some guys told me that there will be many events with managers or companies.
On the other side Aston has a very good reputation for business for Cardiff as I told you I dont know... :frown: maybe it has also... speak with students from there!
a! Aston gives opprtunity for erasmus exchange in some masters..

Moreover, maybe you have to think the city..I believe that Cardiff is more beutiful, with sea at close...than Birmingham.. but Birmingham is one of the biggest cities with many oportunities for job after..

I have the same dilemmas and I believe that I didnt helped you much with my comments.. it is a really difficult choice!
I dont know much for Cardiff..but for Aston everyone that I spoke to was satisfied.

The most advices for me were to look the content of the master and which is more attractive and interesting. You should try to think which master do you like most..
and my advice...with which of these two... was "love at first sight"... has this click for you.. (I cannot write in greeks but you understand our expression i guess :wink: )

Also ask these unis how many students are working 3 months after they finished..? a percent or something..or search on internet..there are some rankings for this too..or ask the carreer service of these uni and compare their answers or even how quickly they respond..

I hope that I helped you a little bit :wink:
Good luck with anything that you will do!!
for any question do not hesitate to ask again! :wink:

thank you very much!!!you helped me a lot!!!I will follow my heart :wink: Cardiff it is!!!many professors from my uni told me to go there not only for the uni but for the city too..so I will trust them!!also I like more the programme in Cardiff.. it has aacsb accreditation, member of russell group...soooo I made the big decision :tongue: !!! you really helped me a lot !! :smile: thank you for all your advice!!! I wish you the best!! :biggrin:
Reply 31
thank you very much!!!you helped me a lot!!!I will follow my heart :wink: Cardiff it is!!!many professors from my uni told me to go there not only for the uni but for the city too..so I will trust them!!also I like more the programme in Cardiff.. it has aacsb accreditation, member of russell group...soooo I made the big decision :tongue: !!! you really helped me a lot !! :smile: thank you for all your advice!!! I wish you the best!! :biggrin:

Nice choice Maria!! :wink:
Good luck to our new start!!! I wish you too all the best!! Enjoy and get the most out of this experience!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest