The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by tess_rach
Sí, muy muy muy útil, porque se puede practicar tu pronunciación y ampliar tu vocabulario. También es útil porque se puede mejorar la velocidad de tus respuestas

Bueno, lo probaré. A ver si me ayuda o no. Gracias a ti y al Pez :wink: por la sugerencia.
Original post by Dominicoben
A bit of a strange language. Not much point learning it tbh :P

But the strange orthography makes it interesting... Looks like an alien language; I can imagine little green men with three ears and seven eyes conversing in Esperanto.
(edited 10 years ago)
O, denneboom. O, denneboom . Wat zijn je takken wonderschoon.
Original post by Ronove
x
The dictionary is exactly what I was looking for!
*cuddles book*
Reply 3523
Original post by Octopus_Garden
The dictionary is exactly what I was looking for!
*cuddles book*

I'm glad, I love it too!
Original post by constantmeowage
(...)
I don't really speak them, I just learn them, so I'm not any more special than anyone else. :tongue: Hahaha, I'm glad my example actually make sense to you, I do worry that I make it more complicated than needs be.

I'm sorry, but I was offline the whole day yesterday. That's why I was not able to answer you. Your explanations sounds reasonable, so I trust in you. In my opinion they are not complicated.
Original post by Kallisto
I'm sorry, but I was offline the whole day yesterday. That's why I was not able to answer you. Your explanations sounds reasonable, so I trust in you. In my opinion they are not complicated.

I'm glad that I am of service to you, and glad to hear my communication skills have not yet deserted me. :wink: And kein Problem, ich bin mir sicher, dass es dir immer interessanter Sachen gibt :wink: es freut mich, dass ich dir helfen kann. :smile:
x

Help!

How do I form the passive?

Is it with the imperfect subjunctive of ser? Which form? (in ser cases)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Help!

I asked this in my Spanish class and the crazy teacher decided to spend 3 minutes telling me how it's not really used in Spanish, rather than just saying "**** off nobody uses it" and teaching the rest of the class what they're supposed to know :colonhash:
Original post by MangoFreak
I asked this in my Spanish class and the crazy teacher decided to spend 3 minutes telling me how it's not really used in Spanish, rather than just saying "**** off nobody uses it" and teaching the rest of the class what they're supposed to know :colonhash:

Or, she didn't think you could use it?:tongue:
Or, she didn't think you could use it?:tongue:

That would be exceedingly idiotic, and you wound me with your implication, sir :pierre:

But no, strangely enough I'm capable of using a search engine (something that seems to be unable to be said for you :mmm:), and can confirm with some certainty that the passive voice isn't used too much in Spanish, apparently.
That would be exceedingly idiotic, and you wound me with your implication, sir :pierre:

But no, strangely enough I'm capable of using a search engine (something that seems to be unable to be said for you :mmm:), and can confirm with some certainty that the passive voice isn't used too much in Spanish, apparently.

:rofl:

I'm asking because someone on here wanted to know :colonhash: does it matter if it's used? I still want to know.

Anyway google shall be fruitful.
:rofl:

I'm asking because someone on here wanted to know :colonhash: does it matter if it's used? I still want to know.

Anyway google shall be fruitful.

I said that, and then immediately came across a site that stated the exact opposite of the other site I looked at (that the passive is used more in Spanish than English) :colonhash: I feel they MAY be confusing the passive voice with reflexive verbs, though.
I said that, and then immediately came across a site that stated the exact opposite of the other site I looked at (that the passive is used more in Spanish than English) :colonhash: I feel they MAY be confusing the passive voice with reflexive verbs, though.

There's two types:

Object + Preterite Ser + Past Participle (+ por + agent)

OR

Se + Reflexive 3rd Person Verb + Object
There's two types:

Object + Preterite Ser + Past Participle (+ por + agent)

OR

Se + Reflexive 3rd Person Verb + Object

The second one is not the passive voice, even though it is used equivalently to the English passive.
The second one is not the passive voice, even though it is used equivalently to the English passive.

Yeah, for English. Its not a Spanish passive.
Yeah, for English. Its not a Spanish passive.

Mango, was sind deine Pläne? Kannst du eine Sprache nächstes Jahr für A-level lernen?

No puedo ver la imagen!
(edited 10 years ago)
Help!

The proper passive is formed like this:

subject + ser + past participle (+ por)

So:

Las nalgas son comidas por los elefantes
The buttocks are eaten by the elephants

This is supposedly the passive that translates exactly from English to Spanish. However it isn't really used as much as in English (although it's the only one you can use if you want to add a by on the end, which is translated by por). There are three ways of avoiding the passive:

Use 'se'
This is typically used much more when we don't want to know who the action's done by, more just the fact it's being done:

Se habla español aquí
Spanish is spoken here

Se puede morder los dados si se quiere
You can bite your fingers if you want (It can also be used to mean 'one', like 'on' in French)

Se vende
For sale

Use the third person plural
Much like when we do it in English, we can use 'they' as an impersonal pronoun to imply passiveness:

INSTEAD OF:
Fue visto en el burdel
He was seen in the brothel

SAY:
Lo vieron en el burdel
They saw him in the brothel

Make it active
Or, alternatively, just make it active:

Instead of:

Los ladrones fueron matados por la policía
The burglars were killed by the police

Say:

la policía mató a los ladrones
The police killed the burglars

¿Preguntas, Fish?
The proper passive is formed like this:

subject + ser + past participle (+ por)

So:

Las nalgas son comidas por los elefantes
The buttocks are eaten by the elephants

This is supposedly the passive that translates exactly from English to Spanish. However it isn't really used as much as in English (although it's the only one you can use if you want to add a by on the end, which is translated by por). There are three ways of avoiding the passive:

Use 'se'
This is typically used much more when we don't want to know who the action's done by, more just the fact it's being done:

Se habla español aquí
Spanish is spoken here

Se puede morder los dados si se quiere
You can bite your fingers if you want (It can also be used to mean 'one', like 'on' in French)

Se vende
For sale

Use the third person plural
Much like when we do it in English, we can use 'they' as an impersonal pronoun to imply passiveness:

INSTEAD OF:
Fue visto en el burdel
He was seen in the brothel

SAY:
Lo vieron en el burdel
They saw him in the brothel

Make it active
Or, alternatively, just make it active:

Instead of:

Los ladrones fueron matados por la policía
The burglars were killed by the police

Say: