The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claired33
i just finished four weeks experience in two different schools - one, a struggling primary which has just become an academy, and one a well respected state primary. i'm hoping to apply to brunel and cambridge (!!?) for Primary PGCE 2014 intake. i work full time so had to take a month of unpaid leave to do my work experience and i'm not sure i'll be able to do that again so i really hope that's enough!! i volunteered in a primary school during university (2008 and 2009) but i don't know if that experience is even relevant anymore. Brownies is a great shout though, i might write to my local ones to see if they need anyone. i guess every little helps!
any advice in the applications is gonna be so valuable as it all seems so confusing! I think you do need to do the skills test before you start the course, but does it need to be booked before you even apply? getting mixed messages as with everything! it's so stressful and we're nowhere near applying yet!
also, my one other question is educational references - i guess i'll use my uni personal tutor but i doubt he even remembers me so it's a bit worrying how good the reference will be!
good luck to everyone :smile:

I am doing the same, not actually working at the moment to be able to do this work experience! Luckily I live at home after finishing university! I have a few weeks before the end of term and more arranged in another school next academic year and am also arranging to volunteer at brownies/rainbows from september.. don't know what else can be done to help my application!

Also if you are thinking of applying for Cambridge, go for it, you do not need extremely high grades to apply for a PGCE.
Reply 81
Hi all :smile:

I'm hoping to apply for Secondary English this year. I just wanted to know, HOW did you all get so much experience??!! So far, I have 3 days in one school and one day in another and that was after calling up and emailing like a million times. I have tried so many other schools, told them I'm applying in a few months' time, that I'd be willing to help out and so on, and they either don't reply at all, say they will get back to me and then don't or they say 'Sorry, we haven't got the capacity for this'. (Ridiculous, right?!) One school even said, 'You are only part way through your degree, perhaps you should think about this at a later stage' even though I made it clear that I've only got one year left at uni and will be applying for pgce in a few months!

Is/was anyone else in the same boat? I would appreciate any advice at all. Thank you
Original post by mango93

I'm hoping to apply for Secondary English this year. I just wanted to know, HOW did you all get so much experience??!! So far, I have 3 days in one school and one day in another and that was after calling up and emailing like a million times. I have tried so many other schools, told them I'm applying in a few months' time, that I'd be willing to help out and so on, and they either don't reply at all, say they will get back to me and then don't or they say 'Sorry, we haven't got the capacity for this'. (Ridiculous, right?!) One school even said, 'You are only part way through your degree, perhaps you should think about this at a later stage' even though I made it clear that I've only got one year left at uni and will be applying for pgce in a few months!

Is/was anyone else in the same boat? I would appreciate any advice at all. Thank you

Yes, I had the same thing! I called so many schools and only a few let me visit but obviously it's what you take away from the experience not the quantity. Anyway, I think if you try in September it might be better too, I only got a few days in school since uni finished but I'm going to organise more in the new academic year (try and ask about this too) also read some of the previous posts, they have tips on the way you could approach schools when organising a visit.
In a nutshell, what exactly is changing, I am aware of the use of UCAS instead of GTTR but that is all I have found out has changed. PS I'm applying for Secondary Science if that helps narrow it down :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Feartheunknown
Yes, I had the same thing! I called so many schools and only a few let me visit but obviously it's what you take away from the experience not the quantity. Anyway, I think if you try in September it might be better too, I only got a few days in school since uni finished but I'm going to organise more in the new academic year (try and ask about this too) also read some of the previous posts, they have tips on the way you could approach schools when organising a visit.

Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully, things'll pick up in September. Good luck :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Feartheunknown

Original post by mango93

I have had similar experiences. I rang/e-mailed about 12 schools, which were all the ones I could think would be within distance of me to get to. About 2 said no straight off, a few wanted more details, but the majority didn't reply. Anyway, one school replied and I did five days there the other week. Another said they would be happy to take me, as long as I get a CRB check, which I am waiting on. If it comes back soon they will have me before the summer holidays, he said. I have two days next week at a school my cousin went to, but that is only because she is going out with the R.E teacher's son so I asked if she could sort something out. From what it sounds like they don't usually bother with work exp. There is also other school who said they would be happy to give me two days in September.

I have been very lucky in that the school I did work exp at the other week have said that if I don't have my 14 days by September they don't mind me going back there to make it up to 14. The school which is CRB pending have also said they don't mind what duration I am there for, so I am really grateful for these.

It is very stressful though, as the majority of schools don't seem to care. I have been in touch with my old school a million times about work exp and no-one has ever gotten back to me, however I tried one last time the other week and they said they already have someone in doing R.E work exp, so I have no idea how they got there!
I'm hoping to apply for Primary for 2014 entry.
This year I've sent off 28 letters and made numerous phone calls to no avail! Due to family connections I managed to get someone to agree to let me in for some experience but since she said yes I've never been able to get in contact so thats that one out.
I also managed to get a school to agree to one day a week observation in about February, but since my CRB only got returned this last week I'm hoping to get some more time in in september!
Luckily I'm high on voluntary work with the right kind of age range as I've been a Guide leader for almost 5 years, and I'm spending my summer working for an autism charity so praying this will make up for my lack of success in securing solid classroom experience
Reply 87
I sympathise with the people struggling to get experience, I was lucky I had a number of friends that are teachers and managed to do a day in a boys private school and a week in a comprehensive last week. I will be repeating that 6 days in September too. I did have a school not respond to my email, but if I am to give any advice - if you want it bad enough, a letter/email doesn't really cut it. Get on the phone, chase up the email/letter, make sure they know how much you want it etc.
Reply 88
I had a great first week of experience, all the staff were amazing with me and really gave me a good insight into the job and also gave me some encouraging feedback. I think though I was really glad I went in prepared as to what I was looking for and observing, because this meant I could hit the ground running and get involved straight away. I made sure I wasn't going to sit back and stay silent, help the students and make my presence felt. I even got to go on a school trip on the first day too! Added to this, I even observed some Welsh lessons (I am getting towards fluent so thought it's another string to my bow). From what I understand, one of the crucial parts of your application is not only doing the experience but being able to reflect what you have learned, so I would say make sure you are going to your observations with a clear idea of what you are looking out for, rather than just either not taking any notes or trying to basically note down everything.
Reply 89
I don't have much advice for people looking for experience as I have been extremely lucky :colondollar: My university (York) do a scheme called York Students in Schools where they put volunteers in a school for one day a week for an entire term. I did this twice, so two different placements through that scheme alone, one in autumn term 2012 and one in spring term 2013.

I then wrote an e-mail to my old high school and my old college, telling them where/what I was studying, that I was looking to further increase my experience in school with them if possible, and attaching my CV (which had my contact details and my work experience through the York Students in Schools scheme on).

They both got back to me saying they were willing to let me go in for a few weeks each :smile: I had about 5 other schools I was going to write to if my old high school and college didn't get back to me/said no, but I never had to bother sending them out because they both got back to me within a week with a yes.

So when it comes to applying, I'll have about 25 -30 days experience in four different schools/colleges.

I would always advise contacting your old schools/colleges in the first instance if it is possible to do so (i.e. you didn't move 300 miles away after leaving!). It shouldn't make a difference when it comes to work experience, when you think about it, yet weirdly, it really does seem to. I actually spoke to my careers department at uni before I contacted schools myself independently and the two people I spoke to both said I should try my old school/college first and foremost. I didn't think it'd make a huge difference me having gone there a few years ago, but then again, they both said yes straight away, so maybe it did afterall?

Good luck to anyone and everyone having trouble though. The only advice I can give is:

Persevere - there was a guy on here last year who made a million and one threads about how difficult he was finding getting work experience (and really if you post that once, there's not much more advice people can reply with a further 4/5/6 times...). The amount of time he wasted on here complaining when he could have been contacting schools and things was ridiculous.

Contact your old school(s) and colleges first and foremost. If they don't reply or come back with a no, then widen your search -- contact every school that you can reasonably travel to: if you can get to it on a bus within 45 mins-an hour, contact them. If you can drive and have access to a car? Widen your search even further, etc.

Wrte a polite e-mail and attach a customised version of your CV that is tailored to the education sector -- put all your relevant work experience in schools etc. down on it and customise your info section with why you're wanting to get experience in schools i.e. for a PGCE application or whatever.

Make sure the e-mail is SHORT. The best advice I have ever been given! The receptionist will probably forward your e-mail on to a teacher or a head of something or other. And these people are busy. If your e-mail is 1000 words long it will either be ignored completely, or put off for a while, as it takes too long to read and reply to when they have 3792 other stuff to read/reply to/do. Keep your initial e-mail as short as possible and attach your CV with the rest of the details on instead.

Give them a chance to reply. I'd wait about 2 weeks. If no reply, follow up with a phone call or other e-mail. If still no response, give in on that school and find another.

Reply 90
Original post by Deja Vu
I don't have much advice for people looking for experience as I have been extremely lucky :colondollar: My university (York) do a scheme called York Students in Schools where they put volunteers in a school for one day a week for an entire term. I did this twice, so two different placements through that scheme alone, one in autumn term 2012 and one in spring term 2013.

I then wrote an e-mail to my old high school and my old college, telling them where/what I was studying, that I was looking to further increase my experience in school with them if possible, and attaching my CV (which had my contact details and my work experience through the York Students in Schools scheme on).

They both got back to me saying they were willing to let me go in for a few weeks each :smile: I had about 5 other schools I was going to write to if my old high school and college didn't get back to me/said no, but I never had to bother sending them out because they both got back to me within a week with a yes.

So when it comes to applying, I'll have about 25 -30 days experience in four different schools/colleges.

I would always advise contacting your old schools/colleges in the first instance if it is possible to do so (i.e. you didn't move 300 miles away after leaving!). It shouldn't make a difference when it comes to work experience, when you think about it, yet weirdly, it really does seem to. I actually spoke to my careers department at uni before I contacted schools myself independently and the two people I spoke to both said I should try my old school/college first and foremost. I didn't think it'd make a huge difference me having gone there a few years ago, but then again, they both said yes straight away, so maybe it did afterall?

Good luck to anyone and everyone having trouble though. The only advice I can give is:

Persevere - there was a guy on here last year who made a million and one threads about how difficult he was finding getting work experience (and really if you post that once, there's not much more advice people can reply with a further 4/5/6 times...). The amount of time he wasted on here complaining when he could have been contacting schools and things was ridiculous.

Contact your old school(s) and colleges first and foremost. If they don't reply or come back with a no, then widen your search -- contact every school that you can reasonably travel to: if you can get to it on a bus within 45 mins-an hour, contact them. If you can drive and have access to a car? Widen your search even further, etc.

Wrte a polite e-mail and attach a customised version of your CV that is tailored to the education sector -- put all your relevant work experience in schools etc. down on it and customise your info section with why you're wanting to get experience in schools i.e. for a PGCE application or whatever.

Make sure the e-mail is SHORT. The best advice I have ever been given! The receptionist will probably forward your e-mail on to a teacher or a head of something or other. And these people are busy. If your e-mail is 1000 words long it will either be ignored completely, or put off for a while, as it takes too long to read and reply to when they have 3792 other stuff to read/reply to/do. Keep your initial e-mail as short as possible and attach your CV with the rest of the details on instead.

Give them a chance to reply. I'd wait about 2 weeks. If no reply, follow up with a phone call or other e-mail. If still no response, give in on that school and find another.

Whilst this might be helpful for someone, this is a place to vent for people who are struggling to find work experience so it's unfair to judge people for that. You haven't had any trouble but you've been very lucky because your university has organised placements for you, and your old school is happy to take you. For some of us, our old schools are not an option (in my case my brother just had to transfer out of his because of his special needs, but he (and my family) were treated very badly by the school while he was there. They wouldn't exactly welcome me with open arms).

As for the other advice, I've already done everything you mentioned and I've only been able to get one placement. I even got the email of a guy involved in SCITT placements and he said he would get back to me but he hasn't. With the school year running out rapidly, it's only natural that some people are worried. Like you said, schools are busy, and with the best will in the world some people will not get placements. It's harder for some people than you think.
Its such a shame some people are having so much trouble getting experience. The schools i've been in, all of them have said they wish there more bodies in the classroom all the time :frown:
Reply 92
What's annoyed me the most is when schools really mess me around. I counted on a particular school for a lot of exp then they must have changed their mind cos the never returned my calls. Really aggravating.

I have two days worth this week. Doesn't sound like much but I guess it helps towards my goal of 14. Even then I don't think two weeks really sounds much compared to some. It's annoying because I know a girl who only did five days, but lied and said she did two weeks and got accepted - then there's me trying so hard to find sufficient work exp because I'd like to do it the honest way. Plus I need evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by alabelle
Whilst this might be helpful for someone, this is a place to vent for people who are struggling to find work experience so it's unfair to judge people for that. You haven't had any trouble but you've been very lucky because your university has organised placements for you, and your old school is happy to take you. For some of us, our old schools are not an option (in my case my brother just had to transfer out of his because of his special needs, but he (and my family) were treated very badly by the school while he was there. They wouldn't exactly welcome me with open arms).

As for the other advice, I've already done everything you mentioned and I've only been able to get one placement. I even got the email of a guy involved in SCITT placements and he said he would get back to me but he hasn't. With the school year running out rapidly, it's only natural that some people are worried. Like you said, schools are busy, and with the best will in the world some people will not get placements. It's harder for some people than you think.

I've just read the original post of this thread again - I thought maybe I had got mistaken or something - but no, here it is for reference:

Anyone else thinking of applying for a PGCE commencing in 2014?
I'm in the process of gaining experience for my application and thought it would be useful to chat to to others in the same boat!

So no, this thread isn't a place to vent for people who are struggling to find work experience whatsoever - either you've stumbled in to the wrong thread by accident, or your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Furthermore, I don't remember judging anyone about the amount of work experience they have or haven't done -- and why would I? Think about this logically instead of getting arsey for apparently no reason whatsoever (did you get out of the wrong side of bed or something?) -- I am applying for a PGCE myself. Other people having less experience than me is an advantage for me. Instead of judging people for having less, I'd be doing the opposite, wouldn't I? Other people having less experience would not be something to get judgmental about as it's something that could essentially benefit me in the long run. I wasn't being judgmental whatsoever. I am now inclined to believe you've not just stumbled in to the wrong thread by accident like I thought initially, but are having problems with reading comprehension as it is quite clear in my post I was aiming to give advice, not judgment. Judging people for having less experience makes no sense, if anything other people having less experience would be something I'd be pleased about when it comes to my own application!

I'm not going to reply to the rest of your post because quite honestly, you're doing exactly the same sort of thing the guy I mentioned in my first bullet point in my last post did...

"BOOOOOO, you have it SOOOOO EASY!! You are so lucky it just completely fell in to your lap and you didn't do ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to get the experience yourself......... Unfortunately SOME of us are having a REAL problem getting work experience!!!!!!!!!!111123456"

Seriously -- grow up and stop being so bitter. Being bitter and complaining on an Internet forum isn't going to help you get any experience. Your attitude is itself probably pretty offputting to schools, too.

I had it easy in that I did two placements through university - what can I say, I am sorry for doing research before I applied to my chosen uni? :s-smilie: The York Students in Schools scheme was one of the reasons I applied to York. Your uni doesn't have such a scheme? Why didn't you research this sort of thing before you went if it was gonna be something you'd be interested in? I did, and I got in to that university -- what do you want me to do, apologise for it?!

Furthermore, they sorted out 2 placements. Out of a total 4. The other 2 I sorted completely independently of them. What do you want me to say about that? I'm sorry I made an effort and the schools got back to me with a positive reply? Would you rather I didn't make any effort, or they said no, just so that you'd have someone else in the same boat as you?

Yeah, because that is going to happen.

I understand people are worried -- hence I made a post with some advice in it. You seem to have taken serious offence at my post for seemingly no reason whatsoever. OK, so you already do/have done everything I suggested in my post. Sorry, because of that reason, do you want me to take it down? There's over a million users on TSR. I didn't make my post just for your benefit. If you got nothing out of it, then that is too bad, life's crap, isn't it? But maybe someone else will, so it'll stay there, and I'll post similar posts in the future.

I know how hard it is as I have had numerous friends who graduated last year and this year who have been declined places on PGCEs because of a lack of experience -- despite contacting lots of schools some of them just could not get enough experience and then when it came to PGCE applications they weren't offered a place due to it. It is tough. That doesn't mean you can just throw a paddy and start complaining at the people who DO manage to get experience.

I'm not going to apologise for having more experience than you, what planet are you on :confused:

I can't understand what would make someone react to a post with advice in it the way you just have, but if your post is at all indicative of how you respond to people trying to help you out in real life, then it is no wonder the offers from schools aren't rolling in.

Stop acting like a child. You're finding it hard getting work experience. So are many others. I made a post with some general advice in it. There's no need to kick off your shoes and sit in the middle of the floor screaming and crying over it. I promise.

Sorry guys, I am no longer going to be posting any advice on TSR anymore... alabelle hates it when people do that :rolleyes:
Reply 94
Original post by Deja Vu
I've just read the original post of this thread again - I thought maybe I had got mistaken or something - but no, here it is for reference:

So no, this thread isn't a place to vent for people who are struggling to find work experience whatsoever - either you've stumbled in to the wrong thread by accident, or your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

Furthermore, I don't remember judging anyone about the amount of work experience they have or haven't done -- and why would I? Think about this logically instead of getting arsey for apparently no reason whatsoever (did you get out of the wrong side of bed or something?) -- I am applying for a PGCE myself. Other people having less experience than me is an advantage for me. Instead of judging people for having less, I'd be doing the opposite, wouldn't I? Other people having less experience would not be something to get judgmental about as it's something that could essentially benefit me in the long run. I wasn't being judgmental whatsoever. I am now inclined to believe you've not just stumbled in to the wrong thread by accident like I thought initially, but are having problems with reading comprehension as it is quite clear in my post I was aiming to give advice, not judgment. Judging people for having less experience makes no sense, if anything other people having less experience would be something I'd be pleased about when it comes to my own application!

I'm not going to reply to the rest of your post because quite honestly, you're doing exactly the same sort of thing the guy I mentioned in my first bullet point in my last post did...

"BOOOOOO, you have it SOOOOO EASY!! You are so lucky it just completely fell in to your lap and you didn't do ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to get the experience yourself......... Unfortunately SOME of us are having a REAL problem getting work experience!!!!!!!!!!111123456"

Seriously -- grow up and stop being so bitter. Being bitter and complaining on an Internet forum isn't going to help you get any experience. Your attitude is itself probably pretty offputting to schools, too.

I had it easy in that I did two placements through university - what can I say, I am sorry for doing research before I applied to my chosen uni? :s-smilie: The York Students in Schools scheme was one of the reasons I applied to York. Your uni doesn't have such a scheme? Why didn't you research this sort of thing before you went if it was gonna be something you'd be interested in? I did, and I got in to that university -- what do you want me to do, apologise for it?!

Furthermore, they sorted out 2 placements. Out of a total 4. The other 2 I sorted completely independently of them. What do you want me to say about that? I'm sorry I made an effort and the schools got back to me with a positive reply? Would you rather I didn't make any effort, or they said no, just so that you'd have someone else in the same boat as you?

Yeah, because that is going to happen.

I understand people are worried -- hence I made a post with some advice in it. You seem to have taken serious offence at my post for seemingly no reason whatsoever. OK, so you already do/have done everything I suggested in my post. Sorry, because of that reason, do you want me to take it down? There's over a million users on TSR. I didn't make my post just for your benefit. If you got nothing out of it, then that is too bad, life's crap, isn't it? But maybe someone else will, so it'll stay there, and I'll post similar posts in the future.

I know how hard it is as I have had numerous friends who graduated last year and this year who have been declined places on PGCEs because of a lack of experience -- despite contacting lots of schools some of them just could not get enough experience and then when it came to PGCE applications they weren't offered a place due to it. It is tough. That doesn't mean you can just throw a paddy and start complaining at the people who DO manage to get experience.

I'm not going to apologise for having more experience than you, what planet are you on :confused:

I can't understand what would make someone react to a post with advice in it the way you just have, but if your post is at all indicative of how you respond to people trying to help you out in real life, then it is no wonder the offers from schools aren't rolling in.

Stop acting like a child. You're finding it hard getting work experience. So are many others. I made a post with some general advice in it. There's no need to kick off your shoes and sit in the middle of the floor screaming and crying over it. I promise.

Sorry guys, I am no longer going to be posting any advice on TSR anymore... alabelle hates it when people do that :rolleyes:

Haha, wow. For starters. You've seriously overestimated the seriousness of my response. While its true that I wasn't positive about your comment, I didn't ask you to apologise, nor blame you for having more experience than others. In fact, the only part of your post I took offence at was the part where you discussed another person who had used this thread to complain about his lack of experience. I think because you have been very lucky at finding work experience, you are assuming that other people are merely not trying hard enough. You say that this thread is not for complaining, but discussion of pgce applications will include the bad as well as the good. Just as you found it a nice place to talk about your experience, others will use it to vent.

To be honest, I can't take your post seriously. You accuse me of having poor reading comprehension skills but your response is very exaggerated. Replying to your comment does not equate to 'having a paddy on the floor'. Very classy. And as for your 'advice' - I was simply pointing out that it is possible to do everything right and to still have bad luck. I'd like to think that everyone who posts here will get into their chosen course, so unlike you, I don't consider it an advantage when other people fail to get enough experience. Way to show what you're really like.
Reply 95
Original post by Airfairy
What's annoyed me the most is when schools really mess me around. I counted on a particular school for a lot of exp then they must have changed their mind cos the never returned my calls. Really aggravating.

I have two days worth this week. Doesn't sound like much but I guess it helps towards my goal of 14. Even then I don't think two weeks really sounds much compared to some. It's annoying because I know a girl who only did five days, but lied and said she did two weeks and got accepted - then there's me trying so hard to find sufficient work exp because I'd like to do it the honest way. Plus I need evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that sucks :/. Congrats on the two days experience though! As long as you get your minimum days, it's probably better to have taken the right stuff away from it than to have spent loads of time in schools. If your application is strong in other ways anyway I have heard of universities making conditional offers so people can catch up :smile:

---

I've had some better luck today! Got a chance to do some volunteering with autistic children and their siblings through the school holidays, and some schools are going to call me back tomorrow about possible placements. Fingers crossed!
Reply 96
I'm new to this forum, so apologies if it isn't posted in the right area but it's easy to get lost here...

Okay...So I'm currently applying for a PGCE in Secondary Art and Design 2013. I have been unsuccessful so far and I am now competing with clearing. My issue is, the only University within 100 miles is one that I have already applied to and have recently found out I was unsuccessful.

It's extremely disheartening, I've got a 2:1 degree in Fine Arts, a Masters in Research in History of Fine Arts and my own art practice. I currently work full time as a teaching assistant in Foundation stage at a Primary school, it is perhaps this that is putting them off me. I only took the job because I believed it to be a very creative and nurturing age group 3 - 5. I wanted to express that my love for art and creativity is transferable, and that I wanted to ensure I had chosen correctly with Secondary (which at this stage, I feel I have).

I appreciate it is competitive, but every other applicant I have spoken to has less experience than me, or no final classification on their degree. It is really quite depressing knowing they are interviewing 30 candidates for maximum 5 places (12 overall in the year).

So, as I haven't found information anywhere on the internet that meets my criteria, I ask anyone who can help me;

What should/should not be included in the art and design portfolio?

Can you apply for a clearing position with a university you were unsuccessful in obtaining a place first time? (in the same academic year)

Any hints or tips on QTS as I am very near to booking my tests and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading my book.:badger:
Reply 97
Yeah that sucks :/. Congrats on the two days experience though! As long as you get your minimum days, it's probably better to have taken the right stuff away from it than to have spent loads of time in schools. If your application is strong in other ways anyway I have heard of universities making conditional offers so people can catch up :smile:

---

I've had some better luck today! Got a chance to do some volunteering with autistic children and their siblings through the school holidays, and some schools are going to call me back tomorrow about possible placements. Fingers crossed!

Thanks! Did my first day of those two today, and just feel really down now. It's a teacher training school so they get a lot on work exp, and I was speaking to school direct offer holders and they were all really, really experienced. I don't think I will be what they're looking for. Some had PhDs and most had worked in a school before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks! Did my first day of those two today, and just feel really down now. It's a teacher training school so they get a lot on work exp, and I was speaking to school direct offer holders and they were all really, really experienced. I don't think I will be what they're looking for. Some had PhDs and most had worked in a school before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think those things matter too much, as long as you are passionate about teaching your subject you will be fine. :smile: you hear all the time about really experienced people who are turned down for all sorts of reasons. There are clearly more important factors at play!
Reply 99
I don't think those things matter too much, as long as you are passionate about teaching your subject you will be fine. :smile: you hear all the time about really experienced people who are turned down for all sorts of reasons. There are clearly more important factors at play!

I think this is spot on. I had a good chat with a number of teachers, ones who have recently done the course I am looking to do, many of them made clear it's not just about numbers of days. It's about what you have observed your in experience, what you have learned and most crucially how you communicate that in your application/interview. The school I went said they have had people come in for experience who have literally sat at the back and said/done very little. It's the same with having a PHD, I have an MA, it means very little when you are trying to be a teacher. I was told that one of the most important aspects at interview for jobs is how you can control a class and have a presence the pupils respect, not the masses of letters after your name. I hope I am being encouraging to people who are struggling to get experience - while you will need some (I am applying with only 12-15 days experience), there is diminishing returns to having loads and loads. To be honest, I am going into this making clear that I used most of my annual leave from my job, missing out on family holidays and forking out money for tuition/gcse exams to even be able to apply - I am hoping that shows more commitment than someone who was able to get weeks and weeks experience because they don't have a job and other commitments (that isn't meant as a slight on those people, merely I am hoping that getting 15 days of experience despite having a full time job, 3 children etc is a sign of commitment).

Latest

Trending

Trending