The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No I had forgotten about that. I will try and download it again to complete. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a second year undergraduate BA English Language and I will be starting my third year in September, I am really thinking about applying for postgraduate degree in speech therapy. But there is so much stuff to read the main thing I wanted to know is if I can apply for next years intake even though my degree won't be finished/get my result until next summer.
Thanks
Reply 22
I think it depends upon where you intend to apply. I know that UCL expect you to have your degree at the time of applying. Perhaps you can check the application requirements and guidelines for the university you wish to apply to?
Good luck!
Reply 23
Hi all,

This is really not the right place to post this but perhaps someone can help! I am a first year student on a PGDip SLT course and am looking into volunteering opps for my Christmas transition (we get 3 weeks on our course to explore areas of SLT that interest us). Does anyone know anyone or has experience themselves of volunteering with Projects Abroad on their SLT programme in Vietnam?

Any advise gratefully received!
Reply 24
Hi all,

I just wanted to add a bit of advise from my experience from applying to these courses. I am currently studying on the SLT course at Greenwich which I would highly recommend. The focus is really on applied practice and training you to be a competent practitioner when you finish.
Just a few things that I think would have helped me when applying -
1. I know its hard but try and get experience with both adults and children if you can - great to see the breadth of what SALT can work in, and if you can see them working within MDT's even better.
2. When writing your application, think about what you have seen speech therapists do and reflect on what this made you think about - eg Seeing an SLT working with young children with speech impairments really made me think about how much verbal communication we use in everyday life to get our points of view across and how frustrating it can be not to make your point heard.
3. I think most courses are looking for people with the academic ability (there is a lot of work and it is hard) but they are also looking for people with great communication skills who can put their client at the very focus of what they do, giving them the resources to facilitate their communication, in whatever form that is.
4. Think about SLT work indirectly with families and clients, giving advice and sharing their expertise with teachers, families etc. More and more SLT work in this way and if it is something you can show awareness of at this stage it would be good on your application.

Ok so that's it, hope some of it helps someone!
Reply 25
Thanks for the advice, I've applied to Greenwich and just waiting on the interview date so I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it there 😀 the course sounds great from what I've read but I'm still trying to get my head around the timings due to the January start. When does your year 1 end? Do you have the summer holidays as usual?

I'm unable to help you with volunteering projects but I know someone who volunteered in an orphanage in Vietnam and there were quite a few children and babies who need SLT support. If you're interested I can find the details from him. 😃😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Thanks for your email. Just wondered what the timetable is like? Are u at uni 5 days a week? Is it a 9 or 10 0 clock start?
Original post by sineadp
Hi all,

I just wanted to add a bit of advise from my experience from applying to these courses. I am currently studying on the SLT course at Greenwich which I would highly recommend. The focus is really on applied practice and training you to be a competent practitioner when you finish.
Just a few things that I think would have helped me when applying -
1. I know its hard but try and get experience with both adults and children if you can - great to see the breadth of what SALT can work in, and if you can see them working within MDT's even better.
2. When writing your application, think about what you have seen speech therapists do and reflect on what this made you think about - eg Seeing an SLT working with young children with speech impairments really made me think about how much verbal communication we use in everyday life to get our points of view across and how frustrating it can be not to make your point heard.
3. I think most courses are looking for people with the academic ability (there is a lot of work and it is hard) but they are also looking for people with great communication skills who can put their client at the very focus of what they do, giving them the resources to facilitate their communication, in whatever form that is.
4. Think about SLT work indirectly with families and clients, giving advice and sharing their expertise with teachers, families etc. More and more SLT work in this way and if it is something you can show awareness of at this stage it would be good on your application.

Ok so that's it, hope some of it helps someone!

Thanks for the information, this is really helpful. I'm planning to write the bulk of my personal statement this Summer before the deadline of December for Reading and UCL, do you have any tips for how to write a good one and what to include?

I'd also really like to get an idea about your timetable as the courses don't tend to say how many days I will be going in to Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I know all the unis do things quite differently. I'm doing the MSc at QMU and out time table tended to change about quite a bit. We generally had Tuesdays and Fridays off- but they really were needed for doing reading/assignments etc. These days would also be used for placements during the semester too.
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays tended to be quite busy for us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Current students:
Thank you for your input, this is really useful!
Is there any reading that anyone would recommend before applying ?
Reply 32
Hi, I am thinking to apply for the postgard SLT courses in City and Greenwich Univercities next year 2014. I am a mature student and have done my Masters in English Language and Literature more than 10 years ago. Does anyone know if a refreshing course or something in any close subjet is needed as my study has been many years ago?
I think on the websites for the universities it says you need to have studied in the last 4 years but if you email them they might be able to give you some more guidance on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Anyone going for an interview or been to an interview at Greenwich. I have one in September and wonder what the day would be like? Whats the timetable in Greenwich like?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by momiboyz
Anyone going for an interview or been to an interview at Greenwich. I have one in September and wonder what the day would be like? Whats the timetable in Greenwich like?

The deadlines to apply for Reading and UCL are not until December, what was the deadline for Greenwich?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Hi there, I've got an interview for Greenwich but apart from the letter about the day I don't really have further info about what to expect. Really nervous about it now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by smorsgabord
The deadlines to apply for Reading and UCL are not until December, what was the deadline for Greenwich?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Greenwich deadline was June as the course starts January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by smorsgabord
I think on the websites for the universities it says you need to have studied in the last 4 years but if you email them they might be able to give you some more guidance on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice. I did call the Unis. At Greenwich they do not have any requirements about how long ago you have graduated as long as you practice or work something related.... UCL did not answer and I could not see any requirements on the website, City also... so any further info would be appreciated from someone in a similar situation...
Reply 39
Original post by elijoja
Hi, I am thinking to apply for the postgard SLT courses in City and Greenwich Univercities next year 2014. I am a mature student and have done my Masters in English Language and Literature more than 10 years ago. Does anyone know if a refreshing course or something in any close subjet is needed as my study has been many years ago?

As long as you show that you have had some experience (either through work or observation) and awareness of SLT I wouldn't think you would need to prove your ability to study. The therapist I work with qualified as a speech therapist at City having a degree in German and after being at home bringing up her children for 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest