The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
All the advice on here is really useful, so thank you. I think it's true that it's what you take away from the experience rather than how much you did. But it's just so sad that someone reading your application might not think you've put in enough effort to get experience when you have and have just been horribly unlucky! And of course you have to 'persevere' and 'keep trying' but there is only so much you can do. You can't exactly force your way into a school and demand that they let you in, once they've said no/ignored you, that's pretty much it...
Anyway, has anyone here tried the School Experience Programme??
Reply 101
Has anyone else been caught out by UCAS now demanding B's in GCSE Maths and English for 2014? I only sat the foundation paper last month to get a C then found out then now want B. Thankfully, I believe I can apply in October and sit higher maths in November.
I left it kind of late and I only just phoned some local schools about going in and doing 10 days classroom observation in the upcoming school year. They're fully booked! One said they might be able to give me a day if I call them again in October but that won't be enough... Feel like a right idiot now, that's going to be another year wasted.
Original post by Marcusian
Has anyone else been caught out by UCAS now demanding B's in GCSE Maths and English for 2014? I only sat the foundation paper last month to get a C then found out then now want B. Thankfully, I believe I can apply in October and sit higher maths in November.

Whaaaat?! Are you serious?! I have a B in maths but only a C in English. Well that's just great (not)!
Reply 104
Original post by StandardUsername
Whaaaat?! Are you serious?! I have a B in maths but only a C in English. Well that's just great (not)!
Yep, you need a B in both for 2014. Apparently it's to raise the standards of literacy and numeracy of teachers.
Yep, you need a B in both for 2014. Apparently it's to raise the standards of literacy and numeracy of teachers.

That is thoroughly depressing :frown:. I have a C in GCSE Maths and a D at AS level Maths but guess I'll have to resit my GCSE even if I do manage to get an offer...

Which is looking increasingly unlikely... called all the schools that asked me to call them back today, and none of them remembered me. They asked me to email them and when I told them I'd already done that a month ago and just wanted to follow up on that, they had no clue what to do with me. One receptionist even gave me a lecture about the fact that the school have two sports days coming up so they can't possibly arrange any experience for next year... makes sense. :L
Original post by MissRebReb
I'm new to this forum, so apologies if it isn't posted in the right area but it's easy to get lost here...

Okay...So I'm currently applying for a PGCE in Secondary Art and Design 2013. I have been unsuccessful so far and I am now competing with clearing. My issue is, the only University within 100 miles is one that I have already applied to and have recently found out I was unsuccessful.

It's extremely disheartening, I've got a 2:1 degree in Fine Arts, a Masters in Research in History of Fine Arts and my own art practice. I currently work full time as a teaching assistant in Foundation stage at a Primary school, it is perhaps this that is putting them off me. I only took the job because I believed it to be a very creative and nurturing age group 3 - 5. I wanted to express that my love for art and creativity is transferable, and that I wanted to ensure I had chosen correctly with Secondary (which at this stage, I feel I have).

I appreciate it is competitive, but every other applicant I have spoken to has less experience than me, or no final classification on their degree. It is really quite depressing knowing they are interviewing 30 candidates for maximum 5 places (12 overall in the year).

So, as I haven't found information anywhere on the internet that meets my criteria, I ask anyone who can help me;

What should/should not be included in the art and design portfolio?

Can you apply for a clearing position with a university you were unsuccessful in obtaining a place first time? (in the same academic year)

Any hints or tips on QTS as I am very near to booking my tests and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading my book.:badger:

Oh my word if you can't get a place what hope do i have! :frown:
Just rang round some more schools (speaking to them all for the third time, woops) and finally got a placement. :smile: So will have:

-6 month's worth of afternoon weekly visits to a reception class between 2010-2011
-5 days, visiting each year group, 2013
-6-10 days (whatever I can get) of volunteering in whichever year group, 2014
-Volunteering with autistic children and their families

That should meet the minimum requirements... and it turns out I do actually have a B in GCSE maths. I'm gonna need to check my certificates but I'm now pretty sure I have a B.

So anyway, moral of the story is: keep ringing, even if you've already rang three times and emailed. It can't do you any harm (though be prepared for grumpy receptionists, haha).
Reply 108
Original post by alabelle
Just rang round some more schools (speaking to them all for the third time, woops) and finally got a placement. :smile: So will have:

-6 month's worth of afternoon weekly visits to a reception class between 2010-2011
-5 days, visiting each year group, 2013
-6-10 days (whatever I can get) of volunteering in whichever year group, 2014
-Volunteering with autistic children and their families

That should meet the minimum requirements... and it turns out I do actually have a B in GCSE maths. I'm gonna need to check my certificates but I'm now pretty sure I have a B.

So anyway, moral of the story is: keep ringing, even if you've already rang three times and emailed. It can't do you any harm (though be prepared for grumpy receptionists, haha).

Well done, best of luck. :smile:
The entry requirements are not changing for 2014 entry. It will still be grade C in maths and English GCSEs (and science if going for primary).
However, the skills tests required in numeracy and literacy will be changed so that the pass rate reflects a B grade.

Hope this helps!
Well done, best of luck. :smile:

Thank you!

Original post by jeffercake
The entry requirements are not changing for 2014 entry. It will still be grade C in maths and English GCSEs (and science if going for primary).
However, the skills tests required in numeracy and literacy will be changed so that the pass rate reflects a B grade.

Hope this helps!

Oh, that's a relief! Will need to double check though, think I read something earlier that said a B grade would be necessary but that they would interview people who had a C and give them an offer on the condition that they resit. Confusing, eh?
Thank you!

Oh, that's a relief! Will need to double check though, think I read something earlier that said a B grade would be necessary but that they would interview people who had a C and give them an offer on the condition that they resit. Confusing, eh?

I guess that would depend on the uni. But that info above is from the teaching agency - I spoke to them earlier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
I guess that would depend on the uni. But that info above is from the teaching agency - I spoke to them earlier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, brilliant. :smile:
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/entry-requirements

Just to confirm it is still a gcse c needed

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/r/report%20of%20the%20skills%20tests%20review%20panel.pdf

But the tests will be put up to a grade b standard
I feel like these teacher training applications are giving me the stress I never got with UCAS first time round! I just sailed through undergrad applications without a worry, but these are stressing me out so much and I haven't even applied yet. I'm just trying to stay on top of things because next semester at uni is absolutely jam packed with stuff, so when the applications open and I hopefully get invited to interviews, it will be right in the middle of everything else I need to be doing for my degree.

I think I'll write a mock personal statement over the summer.

Really struggling to choose where to apply as well, seeing as we only get three choices this year it makes it tough. Part of me wants to apply for Oxbridge just for the small chance, but I think that would be wasting a choice seeing as the chances are smaller.
Original post by Airfairy
I feel like these teacher training applications are giving me the stress I never got with UCAS first time round! I just sailed through undergrad applications without a worry, but these are stressing me out so much and I haven't even applied yet. I'm just trying to stay on top of things because next semester at uni is absolutely jam packed with stuff, so when the applications open and I hopefully get invited to interviews, it will be right in the middle of everything else I need to be doing for my degree.

I think I'll write a mock personal statement over the summer.

Really struggling to choose where to apply as well, seeing as we only get three choices this year it makes it tough. Part of me wants to apply for Oxbridge just for the small chance, but I think that would be wasting a choice seeing as the chances are smaller.

Do you know if the 3 applications apply to primary teaching applicants as well? Last year we were only allowed 2 applications, I think.
Do you know if the 3 applications apply to primary teaching applicants as well? Last year we were only allowed 2 applications, I think.

Oh, I've no idea sorry. I always forget there are such differences between us :tongue: I didn't know you were only allowed two last year! I believe we were allowed four last year so now we have been demoted to three.

Have you decided where to apply yet?
Original post by MissRebReb
I'm new to this forum, so apologies if it isn't posted in the right area but it's easy to get lost here...

Okay...So I'm currently applying for a PGCE in Secondary Art and Design 2013. I have been unsuccessful so far and I am now competing with clearing. My issue is, the only University within 100 miles is one that I have already applied to and have recently found out I was unsuccessful.

It's extremely disheartening, I've got a 2:1 degree in Fine Arts, a Masters in Research in History of Fine Arts and my own art practice. I currently work full time as a teaching assistant in Foundation stage at a Primary school, it is perhaps this that is putting them off me. I only took the job because I believed it to be a very creative and nurturing age group 3 - 5. I wanted to express that my love for art and creativity is transferable, and that I wanted to ensure I had chosen correctly with Secondary (which at this stage, I feel I have).

I appreciate it is competitive, but every other applicant I have spoken to has less experience than me, or no final classification on their degree. It is really quite depressing knowing they are interviewing 30 candidates for maximum 5 places (12 overall in the year).

So, as I haven't found information anywhere on the internet that meets my criteria, I ask anyone who can help me;

What should/should not be included in the art and design portfolio?

Can you apply for a clearing position with a university you were unsuccessful in obtaining a place first time? (in the same academic year)

Any hints or tips on QTS as I am very near to booking my tests and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading my book.:badger:

Sorry to hear you've missed out on a place. With your credentials that must be very disheartening :frown: I don't really have any useful advice for you as I know nothing to do with art, sorry.

Have you not thought about applying to unis outside of your 100 miles limit, to increase your chances? Have you tried schools direct? It's not too late to apply for that and some places still have spaces.
Reply 118
I'm going into my third year of undergraduate in October, and will be applying for 2014 PGCE Primary entry as soon as I can after that. My aim is Durham University.

So far, I've got; roughly 150 hours of school experience (varying between observing and independent class management), roughly 100 hours of volunteering for charity events etc, 2 years of Student Rep work and departmental work at university assisting in the restructure of the course I currently study. I've possibly gone a tad overboard on the extra curricular stuff! I plan to do a bit more school experience next year, do my QTS tests and then I'm pretty much ready!

The secondary candidates from my university have struggled to get placement in schools too, have you tried seeing if your university will arrange a placement for you? Mine did, paid for my CRB and arranged the schools I've been in - so much easier and they already have contacts.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Oh, I've no idea sorry. I always forget there are such differences between us :tongue: I didn't know you were only allowed two last year! I believe we were allowed four last year so now we have been demoted to three.

Have you decided where to apply yet?

Possibly Sunderland and York St. John, but I'm not sure because I'd prefer to visit first. What about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending