The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

University of Westminster- Freshers 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Hiya, I've been following a thread on here regarding postgraduate scholarships and just thought I would comment on here to all of you freshers! I graduated from UoW last year after studying BSc (Hons) Psychology. I commuted for the entire of my course so may not be much help with regards to accommodation etc but if anyone has any questions in general let me know and ill see if I can be of any help :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by becki13
Hiya, I've been following a thread on here regarding postgraduate scholarships and just thought I would comment on here to all of you freshers! I graduated from UoW last year after studying BSc (Hons) Psychology. I commuted for the entire of my course so may not be much help with regards to accommodation etc but if anyone has any questions in general let me know and ill see if I can be of any help :smile:

Appreciate the help becki13... I would love to ask so many questions but I am doing IR but I seem to have no luck finding anyone else doing International Relations. :rolleyes:
Reply 262
There will be plenty on your course don't worry, just not everyone seeks out sites like this to meet anyone before hand :smile: if you have any just general questions about the university, just fire away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by becki13
There will be plenty on your course don't worry, just not everyone seeks out sites like this to meet anyone before hand :smile: if you have any just general questions about the university, just fire away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! One thing i wanted to ask someone who studied in uwm is about so many negative things written about westminster, in TSR atleast. At first it really put me off, but later you know i realised that the experience in uni is what you make of it. whats your experience?? i know its quite vague, but still, anything you have to say! :biggrin:
Reply 264
Everyone is always going to have a negative comment to make regardless of where they are. I only really have experience of the Regents street campus and staff. There were a few times when nearly all computer rooms were full and so it became difficult just to print something (I believe the Library and also part of regents campus have been renovated so this may be a problem solved!) with that, if possible don't rely on printing something just before you need it! Erm some lecturers aren't as helpful as others; they don't reply as quickly to emails etc but then again some are more helpful than they need to be!
As you said, it is what you make of it, if you want to leave things to the last minute for example, you will be moaning that the computers are down, but preparing yourself will definitely help! I personally can't think of any specific complaint, just got on with it and enjoyed the time I did have there. And it can't be all that bad, after a year out I am returning in September to complete a masters course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think that the last-minute thingy and the printing problem is there everywhere i guess. :tongue: had the same in my undergrad too.. same goes for teachers.. they are like that everywhere... so yes i guess i am just going to get on with it then!
Reply 266
Taking everything with a pinch of salt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Hi everyone.

I'm going to be a third year journalism student in September, but I'm also part of Westminster's events team. We're currently in the process of organising freshers for you guys, we have most of the partying and the night events sorted, however we'd like to do more daytime events this year aimed at those of you who don't drink/need a break from drinking/vowed to never drink again after one-to-many shots of absinthe. We have a few ideas already, but I just wanted to ask what kind of events you would like? After all, it's YOUR freshers.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by becki13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Becky I was just wondering what grades you were accepted with onto the course i need to get AB have a C in Psychology but would a BB still get me accepted?
Reply 269
Original post by becki13
Everyone is always going to have a negative comment to make regardless of where they are. I only really have experience of the Regents street campus and staff. There were a few times when nearly all computer rooms were full and so it became difficult just to print something (I believe the Library and also part of regents campus have been renovated so this may be a problem solved!) with that, if possible don't rely on printing something just before you need it! Erm some lecturers aren't as helpful as others; they don't reply as quickly to emails etc but then again some are more helpful than they need to be!
As you said, it is what you make of it, if you want to leave things to the last minute for example, you will be moaning that the computers are down, but preparing yourself will definitely help! I personally can't think of any specific complaint, just got on with it and enjoyed the time I did have there. And it can't be all that bad, after a year out I am returning in September to complete a masters course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the questions but what kind of things did you preapare yourself with like equpement wise for the Psychology course I've kept all my A-levels stuff in organsied files? and what moduules would your recommend?
Hey! My name is Daniela, I'm from Spain. I will be studying Business Management and Marketing and living at Wembley :smile:
Reply 271
Original post by ikz94
Hi Becky I was just wondering what grades you were accepted with onto the course i need to get AB have a C in Psychology but would a BB still get me accepted?

Hiya, keeping in mind that I started at UoW in Sept 2009, things may have changed. When I applied I needed BBB, I ended up with BCD in my A levels with the B in Psychology. What I remember, from the continuous checking of UCAS (?) on the day of results when I checked to see if I had been accepted, my status had changed from a conditional offer to unconditional, but I have never found out the reason for this. Maybe because I received a B in Psyc
Reply 272
Original post by ikz94
Sorry for the questions but what kind of things did you preapare yourself with like equpement wise for the Psychology course I've kept all my A-levels stuff in organsied files? and what moduules would your recommend?

Don't apologise! im here to help :smile: I did keep my Alevel folders, some of the basic information given at A level did sometimes come in handy. I did start at UoW in 2009 so my A level psych course may be different to what you have studied. I wish I took a language module when I was given the option to choose a module in my first year; I took A level Spanish and wish I continued it. I don't really know of modules to recommend as I don't know if modules have changed. What I would say, and its a typical comment, DONT CHOOSE WHAT YOUR FREINDS ARE! :biggrin: in my final year I chose psychophysiology, no one out of my group of friend chose it, and after biological psychology in Y2, it wasn't something I thought I would choose. But I ended up loving it, realising I was better with the more biological side of things and am now returning to study Cognitive Rehabilitation. Read all the module information, see what would interest you most, a core module for my first year, which I think they no longer do, I hated and almost failed because I just had no interest in. So my biggest piece of advice is read up on the modules, don't disregard things straight away and do what you are interested in, not your friends :smile:
Original post by becki13
Don't apologise! im here to help :smile: I did keep my Alevel folders, some of the basic information given at A level did sometimes come in handy. I did start at UoW in 2009 so my A level psych course may be different to what you have studied. I wish I took a language module when I was given the option to choose a module in my first year; I took A level Spanish and wish I continued it. I don't really know of modules to recommend as I don't know if modules have changed. What I would say, and its a typical comment, DONT CHOOSE WHAT YOUR FREINDS ARE! :biggrin: in my final year I chose psychophysiology, no one out of my group of friend chose it, and after biological psychology in Y2, it wasn't something I thought I would choose. But I ended up loving it, realising I was better with the more biological side of things and am now returning to study Cognitive Rehabilitation. Read all the module information, see what would interest you most, a core module for my first year, which I think they no longer do, I hated and almost failed because I just had no interest in. So my biggest piece of advice is read up on the modules, don't disregard things straight away and do what you are interested in, not your friends :smile:

You have helped me a lot! And thanks for letting us know and psychology is my ambition ... I will never follow for da for what they take will always follow my dream and psychology degree would be my destiny for me! Ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShanaThomas92
Hey, I'm Shana and I will be studying English lit at Regent campus.
I'll be commuting at least for the first year :smile:

I'm doing lit too!
Original post by lukeodonnell
I'm doing lit too!

Awesome :smile:
Reply 276
Original post by becki13
Hiya, keeping in mind that I started at UoW in Sept 2009, things may have changed. When I applied I needed BBB, I ended up with BCD in my A levels with the B in Psychology. What I remember, from the continuous checking of UCAS (?) on the day of results when I checked to see if I had been accepted, my status had changed from a conditional offer to unconditional, but I have never found out the reason for this. Maybe because I received a B in Psyc

Ah ok thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 277
No problem :smile: if anyone has anything other questions let me know and ill answer the best I can; no such thing as a stupid question remember! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 278
Has anyone not heard back from Harrow Halls yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending