The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
AlexanderCLea

Don't worry about it. Colum Hall was my second, Taly North 3rd-5th and then Taly Court and some other options just to fill up the rest of my choices.

I really wish we could find out which halls we've been allocated sooner, some other Unis have allready told their applicants. :'(

Yeah same! Do you know when we actually find out? I've heard all different things :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 421
I like ALL of you. :excited:
Should we have a specific freshers meetup for different areas of the UK?

Just wondering :holmes: :moon:
I do drink (because I like the taste of beer, and the added confidence), but the idea of a nightclub has no appeal to me whatsoever, nor does getting wasted.

I'll hopefully (grades dependent) be studying Film and English at UEA.
Reply 424
Original post by ArcadeFire
I do drink (because I like the taste of beer, and the added confidence), but the idea of a nightclub has no appeal to me whatsoever, nor does getting wasted.

Another UEA person :woo:
Reply 425
Original post by James A
Should we have a specific freshers meetup for different areas of the UK?

Just wondering :holmes: :moon:

That sounds like a good idea!

Durhamite hopeful here, partial to a pint or two but not much more, and only really in pubs :smile:. Any other Durham people about?
This thread is so reassuring! Finally finding people similar to how I feel! I think it's all down to peer pressure, and I get quite worried when I get invited to a party that my friends will force me to drink a lot :frown:

Does anyone else feel that they'll be judged if they don't drink at parties etc? :/

I'm looking forward to doing lots of sport at uni and joining societies etc. I hear Reading Uni has a Non-Drinking Society where you can meet up and do lots of fun sociable activities without drinking - sounds good to me!

Don't get me wrong, I think having a drink is fine, I just don't like the thought of getting wasted, embarrassing myself, being sick etc etc. Also it's expensive! :wink:

So yeah, thanks for this thread :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished my first year at uni. I don't go out myself, but when I hear people making plans it all seems to revolve around alcohol.

I constantly hear students on the bus discussing what they'll be drinking, how much, where they'll get it or perhaps discussing how absolutely plastered they got on a previous night.

I tend to avoid alcohol but I have absolutely no problem with drinking (considerate drinking, anyway). Still, it seems a bit... sad? Must so many social gatherings be based on alcohol?

This year I actually gained from my student loan because I refrain from spending money on consumables (i.e. food and drink) unnecessarily. I see not drinking as a tremendous advantage!
Original post by ArcadeFire

I hate to disappoint you but all but one of UEA's freshers events is a clubbing event so you may find all your flatmates will be out every night. Even the people I know who don't like clubbing went clubbing that week apart from one flat I heard of where the just watched films.
Original post by HannahBanana1995
This thread is so reassuring! Finally finding people similar to how I feel! I think it's all down to peer pressure, and I get quite worried when I get invited to a party that my friends will force me to drink a lot :frown:

Does anyone else feel that they'll be judged if they don't drink at parties etc? :/

I'm looking forward to doing lots of sport at uni and joining societies etc. I hear Reading Uni has a Non-Drinking Society where you can meet up and do lots of fun sociable activities without drinking - sounds good to me!

Don't get me wrong, I think having a drink is fine, I just don't like the thought of getting wasted, embarrassing myself, being sick etc etc. Also it's expensive! :wink:

From my experience, people will be a little surprised that you don't drink, because it's become such a norm, but after a short while people do accept it. I think the most important thing for you (and anybody else on this thread who isn't a drinker) to do is to remember that university life continues beyond Freshers Week. Don't get caught up with trying to make your close friends during that week, and don't worry if it's a quiet week for you. Everybody calms down and then you'll be able to discern who you have the closest sympathies with. Nobody forces anyone to do anything (unless you're part of the Teddy Hall Rugby Club, which is a different matter), and I doubt it will be any different where you are. And, of course, sports are perhaps the best way to meet people without being a drinker.

Also, yes, you'll have more money. Which is most agreeable.
Original post by george.e
Yeah same! Do you know when we actually find out? I've heard all different things :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's pretty soon after results day. They don't start sending out responses until we have unconditional offers, which only happens then (unless we're deferred entry/gap year).
Reply 431
Anyone else having a boring night in whilst the Sun is shining like mad? :P
Reply 432
Hey everyone! Fellow non-drinker here.

This thread is brilliant! It's great to know I'm not alone, I've been really worried that my flatmates might get weird about me not wanting to go out during freshers.. how do you say that without sounding anti-social? It's not drinking that I'm worried about, it's more the idea of clubbing and crowds of people that puts me off.

Anyway, is anybody going to UWE?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 433
Any one going to the University of Bath?:teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by extons
Anyone else having a boring night in whilst the Sun is shining like mad? :P

Congratulations for getting into Oxford. Looking forward to it? :smile:
Reply 435
Original post by KingMessi
Congratulations for getting into Oxford. Looking forward to it? :smile:

Thank you! Oh yes, absolutely! Can't wait for the running there too :P
Original post by extons
Thank you! Oh yes, absolutely! Can't wait for the running there too :P

No problem, of course. :smile: Yes, the running really is excellent. I hope you're looking to take part in Varsity? We got shoed last November, so need to exact revenge upon them at Shotover.
Wish I had this thread last year!
Reply 438
Pleasantly surprised to see how many there are posting on this thread :smile: us non-drinkers need to stick together, haha
Original post by Helen95
Pleasantly surprised to see how many there are posting on this thread :smile: us non-drinkers need to stick together, haha

Same here! It's not that drinking is a huge issue in life, but I kinda enjoy actually remembering my evenings :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending