The Student Room Group

Functional Skills Maths Level 2

Is anyone else had a conditional offer from university and been told that that they have to pass maths at level 2 functional skills to meet their offer?

I have and I have my exam next Wednesday :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Functional skills? Yeah, some of the BTEC kids at my college do it. If you're careful you'll pass, it's really easy from what I have heard. It has you just need to know how to do BODMAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I am in exactly the same boat, and I'm sitting the functional skills level 2 maths this coming Friday! I failed my gcse by one grade last summer so my confidence isn't great! Hope it's not gonna be as bad as I think! My life's depending on this! x
Reply 4
Original post by Rjwhall
I am in exactly the same boat, and I'm sitting the functional skills level 2 maths this coming Friday! I failed my gcse by one grade last summer so my confidence isn't great! Hope it's not gonna be as bad as I think! My life's depending on this! x

You should definitely be preparing for the exam by doing past papers/sample papers to practice the skills. Although the maths it only really at GCSE grade C difficulty, solving the problems using those skills if definitely something you need to work on.

Loads of them on the Edexcel web site if that is your examiner.
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/Pages/pastpapers.aspx
Not much if you are doing City and Guilds (very challenging papers if you haven't practiced them!)
http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/skills-for-work-and-life/english-mathematics-and-ict-skills/3748-functional-skills-qualifications/level-2

CGP do an ok revision guide for the mathematical content but it doesn't help much with the problem solving skills required.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Functional-Skills-Maths-Level-2-Study-Test-Practice-Richard-Parsons/9781847628725
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
It was compulsory at our school as well as English at the same level, passed them both. Easiest exams I have done.
Reply 6
Original post by OliverJR
It was compulsory at our school as well as English at the same level, passed them both. Easiest exams I have done.

That makes me feel slightly more confident about it now. Thanks everyone! x
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
You should definitely be preparing for the exam by doing past papers/sample papers to practice the skills. Although the maths it only really at GCSE grade C difficulty, solving the problems using those skills if definitely something you need to work on.

Loads of them on the Edexcel web site if that is your examiner.
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/Pages/pastpapers.aspx
Not much if you are doing City and Guilds (very challenging papers if you haven't practiced them!)
http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/skills-for-work-and-life/english-mathematics-and-ict-skills/3748-functional-skills-qualifications/level-2

CGP do an ok revision guide for the mathematical content but it doesn't help much with the problem solving skills required.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Functional-Skills-Maths-Level-2-Study-Test-Practice-Richard-Parsons/9781847628725

Thanks so much for this! Really helped, found out the exam body & looks like city & guilds it is! Did a couple if practice tests for functional skills- I personally feel the GCSE exams look easier, whereas the questions in L2 functional skills seem much more long winded requiring a lot of detail. Fingers crossed anyway! Thanks again!
Reply 8
Does anyone know if the maths results (if you pass) go straight to UCAS or whether you have to send them to UCAS yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by LydiaLydia818
Is anyone else had a conditional offer from university and been told that that they have to pass maths at level 2 functional skills to meet their offer?

I have and I have my exam next Wednesday :smile: x

Yes i have to pass my level 2 functional skills maths before i can start uni, mind you i am still awaiting an interview.
I have passed level 1 but maths isnt my strong point and i am finding level 2 difficult, i have failed level 2 once.
I am finding perimeter and percentage tricky

Amy
Reply 10
Original post by LydiaLydia818
Does anyone know if the maths results (if you pass) go straight to UCAS or whether you have to send them to UCAS yourself?

I think you have to contact the uni and let them know you have passed so they can update your application.
Do you know any good websites i can find level 2 past exam papers?
Reply 11
Original post by amy 2013
I think you have to contact the uni and let them know you have passed so they can update your application.
Do you know any good websites i can find level 2 past exam papers?

There are loads on the edexcel web site just follow the past papers link at www.edexcel.com

The papers vary enormously in format and style between different examiners, if you are taking City & Guilds you definitely need to do all of their practice papers either on paper or online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I have.. already had a gap year because I didn't have my maths. Currently doing the course now, too scared to set a date for the exam because ive failed too many times :frown: x
I did my High School from Norway where their qualification is equal to GCSE maths. But when I compare my grade in Norway to English grades then I achieved a D. I've now been told that I have to either choose between GCSE maths or functional skills maths. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice? Norwegian maths is like foundation maths in UK.. Im starting second year of A levels in September and I'm stuck in this mess.
Original post by AyeshaAK
I did my High School from Norway where their qualification is equal to GCSE maths. But when I compare my grade in Norway to English grades then I achieved a D. I've now been told that I have to either choose between GCSE maths or functional skills maths. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice? Norwegian maths is like foundation maths in UK.. Im starting second year of A levels in September and I'm stuck in this mess.

the more widely accepted and useful qualification would be a pass at grade C or above in GCSE maths.
I've just been told that for me to start uni in 2 weeks i need my maths and english GCSE equivalent thought I had them both but found out in 2008 I only did my english so I need to do my maths asap I don't want a gap year. U said u are doing a course... is this through a college or do you do it online? and can you fast track it? like just go and do the exam. helpppp! x
If you live in Buckinghamshire you could do it with Bucks Adult Learning.
Check with your local adult learning service to see if they are offering any summer workshops.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Yep I need to Pass my Functional skills Maths and English Level 2 for Uni, I am going to Uni in 2016, I am going to do Access Higher Education Diploma in ICT at City of Westminster College next year. Need to get Distinctions and Merits in all my units 45 of them Distinction and 15 of them Merits, Level 2 English is really difficult but I will pass them. Failed the Reading and Writing exam, Passed the Speaking and listening one. Maths Level 2 is going to be hard too. Mainly Area and Perimeter can be tricky, the rest are alright. I am taking a gap year, so I can finish my Maths and English. Some Universities do accept Functional Skills Maths and English Level 2. I want to study Computer Engineering in Uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello there

i hope it isn't too late for an answer.However,have a look at google and check whether you have any LEARNDIRECT CENTRE around where you are living.You can get functional skills level 2 during summer time,it took me 3 weeks only to pass it.I had already level 1,i passed level 2 very easy.

I hope i helped .
Mo
Does any one know if there is a place that offers functional skills level 2 exam, with out any initial assessment if I pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending