The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by kiirankapoor
Noo when did you get the email? I entered but tbh i dont think it was very good "/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look around at tutor2u, should all be there.

I'm happy to say that.... Not a mention !! D: all wells I knew I screwed it up as soon as I sent it haha. Looks like at a glance most of the mentions/short list are eton people :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

I'm happy to say that.... Not a mention !! D: all wells I knew I screwed it up as soon as I sent it haha. Looks like at a glance most of the mentions/short list are eton people :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not entirely true, there were no Eton people in the shortlist which surprised me and my teacher.

The link is:
http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/res-essay-competition-2013-shortlisted-and-commended-essays#extended
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Look around at tutor2u, should all be there.I'm happy to say that.... Not a mention !! D: all wells I knew I screwed it up as soon as I sent it haha. Looks like at a glance most of the mentions/short list are eton people :smile:)Posted from TSR Mobile
Not to mention quite a few grammar and private schools but it's good to know atleast one person from TSR got to the next stage.
Reply 403
I got onto the "Highly Commended" list :biggrin:

Well done to those who made the shortlist (EpicFlawless)
Original post by Jkizer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mehh didnt even get commended :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 405
Mehh didnt even get commended :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woops my bad, I have bad memory from this morning free lol.

Yeah I think I'm the only one in my school to have entered lol, but hey ho it's something to write on the personal statement to show your serious about your interest!
Thank god I did this otherwise my PS would be so bland and even more generic! I knew my essay was doomed as soon as I read it through lol, but too lazy to completely edit it :tongue:
Heck I could use a bit of the content an references for my epq yay!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Woops my bad, I have bad memory from this morning free lol.

Yeah I think I'm the only one in my school to have entered lol, but hey ho it's something to write on the personal statement to show your serious about your interest!
Thank god I did this otherwise my PS would be so bland and even more generic! I knew my essay was doomed as soon as I read it through lol, but too lazy to completely edit it :tongue:
Heck I could use a bit of the content an references for my epq yay!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What essay question did you choose and what are you doing your EPQ on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 407
What essay question did you choose and what are you doing your EPQ on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im basically looking at the causes of Chinas growth and investigating causes within its history which was most significant. I love chinese history and economy, so it will make it slightly easier, so ill be looking at stuff like policies implemented by leaders, WTO, FDI, investment stuff etc.

For the RES i picked China economy... Wooops =D, though ill be doing a different one for the other essay competition!

Wbu?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
Im basically looking at the causes of Chinas growth and investigating causes within its history which was most significant. I love chinese history and economy, so it will make it slightly easier, so ill be looking at stuff like policies implemented by leaders, WTO, FDI, investment stuff etc.

For the RES i picked China economy... Wooops =D, though ill be doing a different one for the other essay competition!

Wbu?

I chose the quantitative easing one "/ not sure about EPQ question though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't realise the RES essay shortlist was out, gutted not to get a mention, but congratulations to everyone here who was shortlisted or highly commended!

Does anyone know if we receive any feedback on the essays? I'd be really interested in hearing any feedback from the judges
Original post by robin1125
Didn't realise the RES essay shortlist was out, gutted not to get a mention, but congratulations to everyone here who was shortlisted or highly commended!

Does anyone know if we receive any feedback on the essays? I'd be really interested in hearing any feedback from the judges

I'm almost positive we don't get feedback, and it would make sense since over a 1000 people entered. But I agree, would have been good though.
Reply 411
How is everyone getting along with their personal statements? My first draft was rubbish, but I'm feeling that my second draft is coming along much better. How much do you plan to write about non-economics related extra-curricular activities? I don't really have much in that regard
Reply 412
Original post by Giant
How is everyone getting along with their personal statements? My first draft was rubbish, but I'm feeling that my second draft is coming along much better. How much do you plan to write about non-economics related extra-curricular activities? I don't really have much in that regard

I put 1 paragraph about stuff I do in school but that covers like 3 lines in MS word lol
But nothing wrong with going full blast on your interests for the subject! Just slightly unusual as admissions people MAY (not sure) think you won't b as active with societies in the uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giant

I think I'm on my 5th or 6th draft now haha. Still far from perfect though so I think il end up spending a lot of time on it over the summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've not even written my first draft yet! I have notes on what I could potentially put in my PS, but I'd rather actually do some of the wider reading and EPQ I plan on talking about before bothering to start writing drafts.

Is it really going to be that beneficial to get it all done now when you have plenty of time to do more things worth mentioning (especially considering we have over three months until the Oxbridge application deadline).
Reply 415
I've not even written my first draft yet! I have notes on what I could potentially put in my PS, but I'd rather actually do some of the wider reading and EPQ I plan on talking about before bothering to start writing drafts.

Is it really going to be that beneficial to get it all done now when you have plenty of time to do more things worth mentioning (especially considering we have over three months until the Oxbridge application deadline).

Don't get too fussed over it. Just write anything, it doesn't matter what it is. I sat down for 40 minutes and wrote about 3000 characters on stuff that I could talk about but then ended up deleting half of it. It's better to have a working draft and slot things in here and there as and when you complete the reading you plan to do than having absolutely nothing and leaving it as late as possible. Ideally you want it all done by the time school starts and then spend a month reviewing it and making minor tweaks.
Original post by Bloxorus
I think I'm on my 5th or 6th draft now haha. Still far from perfect though so I think il end up spending a lot of time on it over the summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow ive just done my first draft which is quite ridiculous. My form tutor said she'll give me tips on monday :biggrin: but thats amazing how you have already done 6 :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having started the personal statement, I suppose I'm going to get a bit more further reading done before.

Only downfall is, I won't get help from a teacher before the summer holidays, which isn't too much of a problem since I can hopefully sort that out after.

It's exactly the same situation with me! So far I have only read books like Freakonomics, Undercover Economist - the ones everyone reads! So I don't really have much to say... same with work experience, volunteering and EPQ.
I'm on my third draft at the moment but I'll be able to talk about meaningful things in it once next week is over because I'll have finished my work experience at JP Morgan in Bournemouth. Also, as I'm pretty much alone this week (without parents and staying at a B&B by myself), I'll likely be able to make some good progress on my wider reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending