The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
At this stage (second season after spending heavily), you're only a LC ahead of them which in real times equates to on equal footing so, with your calculations, you're on equal footing.

The bolded part is a massive contradiction because you know that they are investing on those "high-potential players that can sustain us for a long period" and, can't really compare them to Chelsea now given that they're at the nascent of their project.

:laugh: is this what you Chelsea fans call a quiet summer?

I said for us it was. £25m net expenditure in transfers so far, higher if we sign more players or lower if we plan to sell those excess to requirements like Mikel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4161
Original post by Tweek
If Kalas and Luiz start as a centre back pairing we'll have arguably the fastest CB pairing in the world, certainly in the EPL anyway.

Fastest quality CB pairing. Also is it me or does Mourinho want us to have ridiculous squad depth this season?
We Aint Got No History is reporting that a Romeu loan to Valencia seems to have been completed; http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/11/4510820/chelsea-fc-transfer-news-oriol-romeu-valencia-loan.

Very good news if true, as a season playing consistent high quality football - in a league that he is used to - should aid his recovery to match fitness.

Though, with the still ongoing Mikel rumours, it does seem imperative that we sign a DM - De Rossi or someone else - unless Mourinho has got plans to convert one of our current players into a deeper role.
Original post by 419
They'll survive. They can lose 1billion a year and their owner will still spend spend spend.

This post is quite ironic coming from a Chelsea fan

You can't even compare one of the most successful club in the past decade to PSG.
When Abramovich took over, Chelsea already had a solid foundation (Similar to Tottenham now) we were finishing in the top end of the table consistently under Ranieri. If you were to look at the all time EPL table since it began, Chelsea are in third place closing in on Arsenal in 2nd. Chelsea also had a core of players which helped us forward.
PSG just brought everything they could with no core or foundation. Is there even a player at PSG right now who has been there for more than 5 years?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4164
Original post by billybo_h
We Aint Got No History is reporting that a Romeu loan to Valencia seems to have been completed; http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/11/4510820/chelsea-fc-transfer-news-oriol-romeu-valencia-loan.

Very good news if true, as a season playing consistent high quality football - in a league that he is used to - should aid his recovery to match fitness.

Though, with the still ongoing Mikel rumours, it does seem imperative that we sign a DM - De Rossi or someone else - unless Mourinho has got plans to convert one of our current players into a deeper role.

They did the exact same thing with sergio canales :haha: I think they'll get back into the top 4. Also since albeida left valencia he'd presumably take his place for the season.

Well we should use luiz there, we'll see with van ginkel but I've heard that he's been quality for vitesse.
Oh and I'm guessing moses will get hardly any appearances next season, figured he'll get circa 20-25 but that's expected. Bought him for home grown rules I think but he's a good player to have on the bench though.
Reply 4165
Original post by cleveradam
You can't even compare one of the most successful club in the past decade to PSG.
When Abramovich took over, Chelsea already had a solid foundation (Similar to Tottenham now) we were finishing in the top end of the table consistently under Ranieri. If you were to look at the all time EPL table since it began, Chelsea are in third place closing in on Arsenal in 2nd. Chelsea also had a core of players which helped us forward.
PSG just brought everything they could with no core or foundation. Is there even a player at PSG right now who has been there for more than 5 years?

Sakho was a youth product of PSG.
PSG are a fairly historical club with a fairly global brand, no doubt now that they'll improve but are in a league that is not as good as chelseas. Probably the chelsea of the french league I'd say in terms of history.

I'd say PSG are a unique club in the sense that they are the only big club in such a large area such as paris so will attract money in being the only club in town, while the likes of city and chelsea all have rival clubs with similar or better global appeal to them in their city

''One of the most successful clubs in the past decade''. This is circular logic as your success has been entirely due to RA. When Ken Bates sold Chelsea, you were up to your eyeballs in debt due to overspending and just about a Uefa cup side. No point trying to justify a sugar-daddy, without him you'd be nowhere and you know it.

PSG, Monaco, Citeh, Chelsea. Peas in a pod.

Original post by jam277
Sakho was a youth product of PSG.
PSG are a fairly historical club with a fairly global brand, no doubt now that they'll improve but are in a league that is not as good as chelseas. Probably the chelsea of the french league I'd say in terms of history.

I'd say PSG are a unique club in the sense that they are the only big club in such a large area such as paris so will attract money in being the only club in town, while the likes of city and chelsea all have rival clubs with similar or better global appeal to them in their city

PSG are about 40 years old and have won hardly anything in their history. Disgusting club.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Lukaku has 17 goals in the league at the age of 20 in a lesser team. He will be reliable for us and like I said our team hasn't really relied on a striker for the source of goals. Jose said that Van Ginkel will play for us this season so I think he has big plans for the guy. I think luiz will be here and there with some games CM and some games CB and some games DM.

Oh and add to that Aguero got less goals than lukaku in a stronger team. That's not to say that he's better than Aguero but it's an indication of the guys ability which you can't deny. Lukaku seems like he'd slot straight into the first 11 like daniel sturridge did after his bolton loan.

We haven't seen the best of Ba, I'll tell you this now that if ba plays a consistent run of games he'd be a top striker for us. Torres I believe has had it, but he works hard, gets a decent but unspectacular goal return and would be a good third striker for any club. If we use these strikers dependent on form and drop them deservedly we would be fine up top. The reason why this was a problem last season was already apparent by november, and when RDM realised that sturridge was a better player he got injured and it was too late meaning he got sacked.

WBA play a completely different style of football to Chelsea and the way teams will set up against Chelsea will be different - he'll have to adapt. From what I remember, Clarke rotated Lukaku a lot last season too?

Aguero (and Man city) didn't have a great season last year but he got 30 goals the year before (23 in the league) so he's already proved what he can do. I'd expect him to get much closer to that figure next season - unless you think Lukaku is already better than Aguero? :wink:

Ba should finish fasting before the season starts but I do wonder how much it will have impacted his training in preparation for the new season.

Anyway, I don't care that much about Chelsea's problems. My opinion (until I'm proven otherwise) will remain that if Chelsea want to challenge for the title, they need a better strikeforce - whether that is to replace someone or to add another player.
Reply 4168

Yeah you can, Chelsea pre-Roman were similar to PSG. Go look it up. Are you even a Chelsea fan, do you not remember playing them in CL a few years back.

The irony of a Chelsea fan seemingly having a go at a club for buying things is so delusional, I cba to laugh.
Reply 4169
Original post by Zürich
''One of the most successful clubs in the past decade''. This is circular logic as your success has been entirely due to RA. When Ken Bates sold Chelsea, you were up to your eyeballs in debt due to overspending and just about a Uefa cup side. No point trying to justify a sugar-daddy, without him you'd be nowhere and you know it.

PSG, Monaco, Citeh, Chelsea. Peas in a pod.

PSG are about 40 years old and have won hardly anything in their history. Disgusting club.

Bar the 2 league titles before 2011 they had 8 coupe de france, 3 coupe de la ligue and a cup winners cup in a 40 year period which is pretty impressive for a 43 year old club
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4170
Apparently we've made a bid for Portuguese winger Bruma, who plays for Sporting Lisbon (signed him for Porto on FM).
Anyway reports have been released stating he was involved in an apparent kidnapping attempt by members of Sporting Lisbon supporters' group.

Now he's trying to have his contract terminated as a result.
Don't see why we need a winger though.
Original post by Tweek
Apparently we've made a bid for Portuguese winger Bruma, who plays for Sporting Lisbon (signed him for Porto on FM).
Anyway reports have been released stating he was involved in an apparent kidnapping attempt by members of Sporting Lisbon supporters' group.

Bruma would be a pretty good prospect for the future
Reply 4172
Original post by Tweek

Would have made sense a month ago. I guess we buy him, loan him out to somewhere in portugal or in england and see how he develops, he's not homegrown and wouldn't classify for it if we kept him so I guess it's a pointless signing just bar the fact that he's promising, young and has resale value. Maybe this is our clubs plan to benefit from fair play rules.
Reply 4173
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Bruma would be a pretty good prospect for the future

Have you seen the age of our wingers and attacking midfielders? The signing makes no sense bar him going on loan, doing well and having resale value.
Original post by jam277
Have you seen the age of our wingers and attacking midfielders? The signing makes no sense bar him going on loan, doing well and having resale value.

I know that but I was just saying he'd be a good prospect. He'd have to go on loan though seeing as he would never start a game
Reply 4175
On a side note Chelsea seem to have a large following in Australia, with supporter groups set up in Sydney; Perth; Brisbane and Adelaide.
Signing Schwazer makes good business sense, and improves our presence within Australia.
Yeah I always wondered why we had quite a large fan base there. A lot of the Australians I met here support Chelsea, too.

Has to be Mark Bosnich who made us popular there... :holmes:

De Rossi rumours heating up which is a good sign. Rooney sent home due to a 'hamstring injury'. inb4 he joins Chelsea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Yeah I always wondered why we had quite a large fan base there. A lot of the Australians I met here support Chelsea, too.

Has to be Mark Bosnich who made us popular there... :holmes:

De Rossi rumours heating up which is a good sign. Rooney sent home due to a 'hamstring injury'. inb4 he joins Chelsea.

If De Rossi comes, our we going to have a bench full of midfielders?
Ramires, Essien, Mikel won't get a look in.
Don't even think Mikel is going to go for a 16 million deal.
All we really need is 1-2 CB's and a striker who can do job - Midfield is more than enough to compete if not win the title.
In my opinion, I believe we have the best midfield by a distance with Luiz playing as a single CDM.
Lukaku/Ba/* - up front would be lethal
Defence needs to clear up mistakes and Ivanovic needs to learn to not go attack too often against good teams.
I'm sure with the introduction of Terry back into defense the goals leaking in the league should slow down hopefully.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iRush

Hahahaha, that has to be the best description of Vitesse we have xD. Well seems like Tomas Kalas has done a Frodo and destroyed the Ring. :tongue:

Probably, the battle is over but the war is still on. A moment of silence for Nathan Ake who is next in line for this perilous journey of doom...
Reply 4179
Saw Bruma in the u20, the clear standout in an extremely terrible Portuguese squad. I mean, they had Heskey's lovechild leading their front line.

Bruma set up that chance iirc and he's technically sound and has trickery to his game. But damn man, this kid needs to learn a lot more and would end up ala Quaresma if he joins you guys. Reckon if he must leave Portugal, he should go to a mid table Spanish team.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest