The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As soon as I read Pep publicly confirming he wants Thiago - I was like - Game over, we're not going to get him now.

The only good thing to come out of it is that we haven't publicly come out or said we are even in for Thiago, even though reports suggest we've done alot of behind the scenes work to get Thiago. So at least, unlike Hazard, Moura, we survive the egg on face situation.

I'd hope Thiago sits down, looks at the situation pragmatically and rationally and sees that the vacancy is with us, not Bayern if this is all about game time. But on the other hand, I can't blame him for wanting to re-unite with Pep (who obviously knows him very well) and them being champions of Europe and really taking the European stage domestically and in the CL by storm.

I'll wait until its official but I would be stunned if we got him.

I don't think we moved quickly to get his signature (maybe due to the transition from SAF to Moyes) like we should have done and possibly all the small print of the buyout clause delayed things etc.

It's not an ideal start for Moyes but I can honestly see Baines being the only player joining us.

Rooney's hamstring going, with all the reports of how fit he was, not ideal but a hammie can pull up if you're unfit or fit. By the time he comes back, he may find it difficult to get back in the side if the other players like Kagawa perform.
Hopefully Ancelotti's plans at Real Madrid involve one of Modric/Khedira/Alonso leaving
People on here seem to think that United haven't tried hard enough to close the deal but they can only do so much after that its up to the player whether he wants to join the club. If reports from Cadena COPE (Spanish radio station who broke the story yesterday) are to be believed then there were offers on the table from Real Madrid, Manchester United and Bayern Munich. And if Thiago goes to Bayern its not because United didn't try hard enough but because the player wants to go to Bayern so theres little United can do in this situation.
It's called the silly season for a reason...
Original post by Aky786UK
As soon as I read Pep publicly confirming he wants Thiago - I was like - Game over, we're not going to get him now.

The only good thing to come out of it is that we haven't publicly come out or said we are even in for Thiago, even though reports suggest we've done alot of behind the scenes work to get Thiago. So at least, unlike Hazard, Moura, we survive the egg on face situation.

I'd hope Thiago sits down, looks at the situation pragmatically and rationally and sees that the vacancy is with us, not Bayern if this is all about game time. But on the other hand, I can't blame him for wanting to re-unite with Pep (who obviously knows him very well) and them being champions of Europe and really taking the European stage domestically and in the CL by storm.

I'll wait until its official but I would be stunned if we got him.

I don't think we moved quickly to get his signature (maybe due to the transition from SAF to Moyes) like we should have done and possibly all the small print of the buyout clause delayed things etc.

It's not an ideal start for Moyes but I can honestly see Baines being the only player joining us.

Rooney's hamstring going, with all the reports of how fit he was, not ideal but a hammie can pull up if you're unfit or fit. By the time he comes back, he may find it difficult to get back in the side if the other players like Kagawa perform.

Another thing that is in our side is that Pep in the same press conference said some nasty things a bouT Roswell. Now Roswell would rather sell Thiago to Man utd than Bayern (finally Man utd acting professionally coming to use) and I think he would pull out all the stops and make Bayer pay £40 million or something including VAT.
Doesn't Thiago have a release clause, making a transfer fee irrelevant?
Original post by NathanW18
Doesn't Thiago have a release clause, making a transfer fee irrelevant?

Spoiler

Original post by doggyfizzel
Probably be an interesting thread, if you could select a player from the past to play in your team today who would it be? I think Keane would probably be a good choice for us regardless of our current issues, but with them he's probably be above anyone else. Our team does lack the fear factor Keane provided on the pitch, and without SAF a ruthless winner would probably do us good in the dressing room.

100/100 Keane. Watching him in person was a whole other experience, he was so so committed and didnt give 2 ****s if it was Arsenal or West Ham. He scared me and Vieira/Parlour knew he would make mince meat if he fancied. Just fear the tunnel, I can only imagine, Complete dominance or ''see you out there next time''

What a player. Man Utd havnet had that fear factor since. Nobody has...

Just a boss

What an amazing player Keane was. What woukd he be worth now? 70m?
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought it was obvious after the 5th July that we weren't signing him. If Thiago really wanted to join us, we could've got him signed within the first few days of July. What I don't understand is why he wouldn't want to join us though. All we have is Carrick in the CM at the moment. Whereas Bayern have Gustavo/Martinez/Schweinsteiger and if Thiago wants a more attacking role, Bayern have Gotze/Kroos/Muller.

As for other signings, all I can realistically see is Baines.

I guess we're having another season with all the pressure on Carrick.
Reply 6189
Original post by Manchester United
I thought it was obvious after the 5th July that we weren't signing him. If Thiago really wanted to join us, we could've got him signed within the first few days of July. What I don't understand is why he wouldn't want to join us though. All we have is Carrick in the CM at the moment. Whereas Bayern have Gustavo/Martinez/Schweinsteiger and if Thiago wants a more attacking role, Bayern have Gotze/Kroos/Muller.

all those players above are screwed by thiago's arrival, am sure that Pep will give thiago the game time hes after too but that means martinez put at CB which would screw Boateng, Dante and Badstuber thats alot of people screwed for a player they don't even need...mabye the bayern board will consider this at the last minute and pull out

If hes been promised game time then there is no reason why he'd join United over Bayern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A few pages ago, I said if we didn't get Thiago/Strootman, the next best would be Illarramendi. Well, it's confirmed that Madrid have just bought him for 38m Euro's. To get the best talent, you need to act quick.

So far, Madrid have made the two of the three best summer signings (Isco and Neymar being the other two).
(edited 10 years ago)
Sky sports - Moyes on Rooney again:

'Unless I was speaking double Dutch, I've said that Wayne Rooney is not for sale.
I have answered lots of questions about Wayne and it’s getting repetitive. I don’t want to talk about it all day.'

LOL its so true as well! I'm getting a little frustrated with the media for constantly asking about Rooney when they should be asking about whats happening in the transfer market and which area is he looking to improve in etc etc.
Reply 6193
A few pages ago, I said if we didn't get Thiago/Strootman, the next best would be Illarramendi. Well, it's confirmed that Madrid have just bought him for 38m Euro's. To get the best talent, you need to act quick.

So far, Madrid have made the two best signings of the summer.

That's true but the problem we have here is there is no top English talent, besides maybe Wilshere. Illarramendi and Isco are both Spanish which makes proceedings a whole lot easier for RM.

We bought Phil Jones when we needed to. RE thiago, from what I gather we gave him an excellent offer but at the end of the day the choice rests with him.

IMO we need two CM's, but there's nobody world class left in the market. Plausible targets which spring to mind are De Rossi but he would be expensive or Galatasaray have said they would sell Sneijder at the right price and he's had a good season tbh.

I hope we won't buy Fellanini or something...:colonhash:
When Moyes was asked if Thiago was still a target:

Moyes: "I never said he was."

On transfer targets:

Moyes: "There are targets we're chasing. At this moment in time, we're happy with how things are going."

(seen it on Twitter)
(edited 10 years ago)
If the media had asked him at his first press conference whether Thiago was a target or not then at least we would have had an idea that he wasn't interested in buying him instead the media were more interested in what was happening with Rooney.
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
If the media had asked him at his first press conference whether Thiago was a target or not then at least we would have had an idea that he wasn't interested in buying him instead the media were more interested in what was happening with Rooney.

The media could have asked him that and he would have said nothing. We tend to not discuss who we want in public. Hargreaves is the only guy that I can think of that was quite public.

The Rooney stuff is annoying, though. There are plenty of other good questions they can ask and all they want to ask is questions about Rooney. He's not exactly going to say that Rooney is going to be leaving. I don't know what they expect him to say. Pisses me off.
Original post by Zürich
100/100 Keane. Watching him in person was a whole other experience, he was so so committed and didnt give 2 ****s if it was Arsenal or West Ham. He scared me and Vieira/Parlour knew he would make mince meat if he fancied. Just fear the tunnel, I can only imagine, Complete dominance or ''see you out there next time''

You are quite an unusual Arsenal fan in your views on Keane, I don't think he'd be valued that high, a lot of people saw him as purely a thug but he was actually a damn good midfielder, and that is what made him great. The only thing I would worry is it takes a dominant manager to ensure a personality like Keane's doesn't just engulf the dressing room, its debatable whether Moyes has that.

Tbh, its depressing looking back at what we had to now where Carrick and Fletcher are the only two I would consider United midfielders. The idea of Anderson and Keane together is just comical. This is the first season I can remember where I have been genuinely worried about the need to sign someone, it being needed rather than wanted. We've had a sub-par squad before, but with SAF you always felt things were possible, I don't have that same faith in Moyes, not yet anyway.
Original post by Zürich

Just a boss

Remember watching this exact video a couple of weeks ago. Was pleasantly surprised with its content after everything I had watched before it.

£70 million? In today's market with Keane at his peak, probably around half of that. Not sure exactly how high he was rated in Europe tbh. Seen a few legends of the past twenty years put him in their best European XI of their time (can't remember what website/magazine it was).
Original post by IanDangerously
There's a good chance the reason its taking so long to sign him is because we're not actually trying to in the first place.

When was your season ticket renewal date cut off?

Latest