The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

I am thinking of doing a summer camp next summer during my first summer at University as I missed the deadline for this year :frown:! But I am struggling to pick which agency I want to go with.

I was looking at Americamp...anyone had any experience with them? I know they are relatively new compared to Camp America or CCUSA and they also work out to be the cheapest even if you pay for your own flights (if I have done my research correctly!) but am worried that they won't be as legit?

Can anyone recommend the camp agency they went with? Thanks for the replies!

Scroll to see replies

hey just wondering to everybody has made plan to summer camp next year during my first summer plan to exited.
cheap ways to travel and cheap flights.
Reply 2
I was thinking of doing the camp america thing summer 2014 too and hoping to do some traveling after around the US and canada :smile: have you looked at Camp leader? It works out cheaper than Campamerica and has been around for a while. But they want 3 references?
Reply 3
I am in the same boat as well, I'm so confused which one to go with :frown: I've had a couple of friends who have gone with camp America and other who went with ccusa, and both lots of people have said both companies are awsome! I am looking at CampLeaders as well! I like how they reward you with money of if your organised with your application:colone:
Reply 4
I was just wondering, when do we apply for summer of 2014? Also what age do you have to be? On their website it says under 17 but by summer 2014 Ii will be 18?
Hey guys,
My friend did Americamp last summer and really loved it... He was based in New Jersey and he didn't pay all that much of his own money!
Applications for all the companies for summer 2014 should be open late August I think, I'm going to apply for most of them! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really wanting to do it aswell!
Reply 7
I have decided on camp america I think! I have started an application video, I don't think you have to do one but I thought I would due to my lack of skills! Lol, also the applications open on August 1st so not long! Anyone else going for camp america?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by emmatays
I have decided on camp america I think! I have started an application video, I don't think you have to do one but I thought I would due to my lack of skills! Lol, also the applications open on August 1st so not long! Anyone else going for camp america?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am :biggrin: I can't wait it might be a bit hard to make an application video but hopefully it will be ok :P
Reply 9
Original post by toreilly102
I am :biggrin: I can't wait it might be a bit hard to make an application video but hopefully it will be ok :P

Are you doing a video toooooo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Are you doing a video toooooo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started it but yeah I am thinking about it! :P
Reply 11
Original post by Lauraaa23
I was just wondering, when do we apply for summer of 2014? Also what age do you have to be? On their website it says under 17 but by summer 2014 Ii will be 18?

August 1st 2013 is the beginning of the application

and theres things fro 17 and 18 year olds
Reply 12
Original post by toreilly102

Yea i am too!! I'm from the UK - yorkshire (north) way! Add me on Facebook if you're going :smile: Rebecca Louise
Hi guys

Does anybody know anything about the special needs camps. Do they get a lot of applications or are they not as popular?

I dont really have any specific skills i could offer a general camp, im not what you'd call good at sports. I noticed they have special needs camps and i thought that might be a fantastic opportunity for me as i want to do Occupational therapy. I already have a little experience at a special needs school and i also volunteered at their horse riding therapy sessions. Would this help?

I'd really like to go next year but if not then i could wait till the following year and in the mean time just get more experience
Reply 14
Original post by Staceyc1990
Hi guys

Does anybody know anything about the special needs camps. Do they get a lot of applications or are they not as popular?

I dont really have any specific skills i could offer a general camp, im not what you'd call good at sports. I noticed they have special needs camps and i thought that might be a fantastic opportunity for me as i want to do Occupational therapy. I already have a little experience at a special needs school and i also volunteered at their horse riding therapy sessions. Would this help?

I'd really like to go next year but if not then i could wait till the following year and in the mean time just get more experience

I'm not sure if they are as popular or more popular, all I know is that you don't have to be good at sport to go to a general camp (i am absolutely aweful at all sports but I'm good at art etc) and I am still applying, however I think you have a good chance getting into a special needs camp with that experience! Good luck let me know if you apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I worked in a camp last year in America where lots of people came thru the camp America agency! Most of them went back this year! They loved it!
I'm not sure if they are as popular or more popular, all I know is that you don't have to be good at sport to go to a general camp (i am absolutely aweful at all sports but I'm good at art etc) and I am still applying, however I think you have a good chance getting into a special needs camp with that experience! Good luck let me know if you apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds pathetic but I honestly couldnt think of one thing I was good at! I had a good think yesterday lol seriously need to start some new hobbies or practice being better at something. Im really keen on going to a special needs camp, thats my first choice but i'd definitely go to a general camp aswell. I just think it would be really good experience for before uni since it would be related to the course i want to do.

I dont know if i can afford it next year though unless i get a job super fast. Depressed that it might need to be 2015! So long away. How much do people usually need for the whole thing? I dont know if i'd travel after it, maybe for a week or two
I'm 17 and from Scotland. I really want to gain experience of the world before I go off to uni! I'm too late to apply for a summer camp this year, but hopefully (with the help from you guys) I can apply for 2014! I'm a small town girl and I'm not really sure how this all works? so do I have to pay for my accommodation, fligh ts etc? I kind of want to go to America or Canada, just anywhere really outside of the UK. I plan to study Law, Management, Midwifery, Mental Health Nursing or Criminal Justice at Uni (I'm still not sure, nor am I too fussy) so is there camps which I can gain experience for this?
Original post by upthelooda
I'm 17 and from Scotland. I really want to gain experience of the world before I go off to uni! I'm too late to apply for a summer camp this year, but hopefully (with the help from you guys) I can apply for 2014! I'm a small town girl and I'm not really sure how this all works? so do I have to pay for my accommodation, fligh ts etc? I kind of want to go to America or Canada, just anywhere really outside of the UK. I plan to study Law, Management, Midwifery, Mental Health Nursing or Criminal Justice at Uni (I'm still not sure, nor am I too fussy) so is there camps which I can gain experience for this?

Hey, im from scotland too.

Well theres different camp companies that you use, other people will be able to tell you more about them. Camp america is quite expensive but they include your flight in it, your end of camp wages arent very good though but nobody does it for the money i guess
Original post by Staceyc1990
Hey, im from scotland too.

Well theres different camp companies that you use, other people will be able to tell you more about them. Camp america is quite expensive but they include your flight in it, your end of camp wages arent very good though but nobody does it for the money i guess

wow! where abouts? I've applied to wildpacks but there is a fee of £100 if your application gets accepted before they will even take a look at you! I'm not quite sure if I want to waste £100 if I could go somewhere else for cheaper! also I think you have to pay for your own flights etc, but it wasn't made very clear!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest