The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6200
When at his best there were few better than Keane, when he saw red however (literally and mentally) he could be a total liability. Still a club legend.
Reply 6201
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
'Unless I was speaking double Dutch, I've said that Wayne Rooney is not for sale. I have answered lots of questions about Wayne and it’s getting repetitive. I don’t want to talk about it all day.'

Well, they keep asking him because they asked whether Rooney wanted to leave and he refused to answer the question, just saying he's in the best shape of his life. The press asked again and he refused to answer again. So naturally they're going to keep asking, because his refusal to comment is an answer in itself, suggesting he has asked to leave.
Original post by doggyfizzel
You are quite an unusual Arsenal fan in your views on Keane, I don't think he'd be valued that high, a lot of people saw him as purely a thug but he was actually a damn good midfielder, and that is what made him great. The only thing I would worry is it takes a dominant manager to ensure a personality like Keane's doesn't just engulf the dressing room, its debatable whether Moyes has that.

Keane wasn't technically great but what he did, he did well. Get the ball, look for a red shirt, pass, move, repeat.

He was a thug too but that doesn't take away from his quality as a footballer. His leadership skills were second to none.
Has this suddenly turned into a game where every big team just buys up midfielders?

Bayern favourites for Thiago, Strootman for Roma, Vidal stirring interest from Real Madrid,

FFS Baines and Fellaini it is then, plus the promise of Anderson being in peak physical fitness
Original post by xDave-
Well, they keep asking him because they asked whether Rooney wanted to leave and he refused to answer the question, just saying he's in the best shape of his life. The press asked again and he refused to answer again. So naturally they're going to keep asking, because his refusal to comment is an answer in itself, suggesting he has asked to leave.

It's a loaded question, it's either ''yes'' he did ask to leave, in which case journalists would ask about what his future is, it could effect transfer dealings and any future fee that might be gained from his sale. They'd ask if he changed his mind, what made him change his mind? Etc. Etc.

He could say, "no", he didn't ask to leave. So SAF made the whole thing up? Why would SAF fabricate a players intent to leave?

I think people forget that the media aren't there to 'uncover the truth'. They're there to print and sell stories, Moyes has obviously kept his council on the matter, and is wise to keep Rooney happy while he's a club asset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Has this suddenly turned into a game where every big team just buys up midfielders?

Bayern favourites for Thiago, Strootman for Roma, Vidal stirring interest from Real Madrid,

FFS Baines and Fellaini it is then, plus the promise of Anderson being in peak physical fitness

Illarmendi off to Real Madrid too, as well as Isco, in a midfield that has Alonso, Ozil, Khedira, Modric and a host of other young players who were out on loan last year.

But we have to accept as United fans that there is a talented new generation of Southern European footballers who dream of playing for Barca and Real. There's a lot of nonsense being spoken by United fans re: Thiago. Suggestions that the club haven't done enough behind the scenes.

2 points:

1. We have no idea what's been happening privately. The Thiago 'saga' has been based almost entirely on speculation (Pep's statement yesterday isn't ink on paper) and Thiago himself has yet to utter a single word on his future.

2. The decision, ultimately, will be the player's. There are cultural, economic, social and football factors he will have to consider, so he is taking his time as any coveted footballer should.

This isn't directed at you specifically. More for United fans generally. We have to be realistic, Manchester doesn't have the draw of Barcelona or Madrid for these young players. I think it should, given the amazing history of our club, it's fame worldwide, the busby babes, Best/Law/Charlton, all the players united have had in England squads etc.

But when Kagawa, the best player in Germany for 2 years, decided to leave Dortmund he went to United. The PL is massive in Japan and Kagawa will have dreamt of playing in England. On these things transfers depend.

I'm done defending our transfer policy. We've had a slow start but we're bound to make a marquee signing soon. I know how you feel though, Europes elite seem to be buying frivolously, whilst United 'um and ah' over contractual details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6206
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
...I'm not saying he should say yes or no. I'm just saying that, unless he does say one of them, the press aren't going to stop asking him about it, so he needn't complain. As you said, it's their job to get a story. There wouldn't be any if they gave up that easily.
Illarmendi off to Real Madrid too, as well as Isco, in a midfield that has Alonso, Ozil, Khedira, Modric and a host of other young players who were out on loan last year.

But we have to accept as United fans that there is a talented new generation of Southern European footballers who dream of playing for Barca and Real. There's a lot of nonsense being spoken by United fans re: Thiago. Suggestions that the club haven't done enough behind the scenes.

2 points:

1. We have no idea what's been happening privately. The Thiago 'saga' has been based almost entirely on speculation (Pep's statement yesterday isn't ink on paper) and Thiago himself has yet to utter a single word on his future.

2. The decision, ultimately, will be the player's. There are cultural, economic, social and football factors he will have to consider, so he is taking his time as any coveted footballer should.

This isn't directed at you specifically. More for United fans generally. We have to be realistic, Manchester doesn't have the draw of Barcelona or Madrid for these young players. I think it should, given the amazing history of our club, it's fame worldwide, the busby babes, Best/Law/Charlton, all the players united have had in England squads etc.

But when Kagawa, the best player in Germany for 2 years, decided to leave Dortmund he went to United. The PL is massive in Japan and Kagawa will have dreamt of playing in England. On these things transfers depend.

I'm done defending our transfer policy. We've had a slow start but we're bound to make a marquee signing soon. I know how you feel though, Europes elite seem to be buying frivolously, whilst United 'um and ah' over contractual details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah - don't blame the transfer department, highly unlikely that a team like United has poor negotiators. It's unfortunate for us that Spanish players > English players because I'm sure not many English players would dream of playing for Barca ahead of an English team.

What happens to Khedira, Ozil etc. Do they seem happy to sit on the bench? Seems the pull of Real > playing time for us. Plus my earlier point is a bit hollow if Bale transfers to Real.

Why are English teams so anti- their player going to the top English teams? Look at La Liga, there is no additional charge just because they stay in the same league, Alba, Alves, Lopez, yet look with us and Berbatov
Original post by xDave-
I'm not saying he should say yes or no. I'm just saying that, unless he does say one of them, the press aren't going to stop asking him about it, so he needn't complain. As you said, it's their job to get a story. There wouldn't be any if they gave up that easily.

Ok.

I'm saying that regardless of the answers Moyes gives, the media will probe further, so his policy of stating "Rooney is (was) training well", or "Rooney is a Manchester United player", is in the best interests of the club. It must be irritating being asked the same ridiculous questions over and over again.

I, like Moyes, would like the media to ask more non Rooney related questions, regardless of the possibility that Moyes might slip up and inform them of something they don't already know.

The Rooney thing is even more boring than Thiago IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Yeah - don't blame the transfer department, highly unlikely that a team like United has poor negotiators. It's unfortunate for us that Spanish players > English players because I'm sure not many English players would dream of playing for Barca ahead of an English team.

What happens to Khedira, Ozil etc. Do they seem happy to sit on the bench? Seems the pull of Real > playing time for us. Plus my earlier point is a bit hollow if Bale transfers to Real.

Why are English teams so anti- their player going to the top English teams? Look at La Liga, there is no additional charge just because they stay in the same league, Alba, Alves, Lopez, yet look with us and Berbatov

I love La Liga but it's totally skewed in favour of the big two in almost every sense. Poor distribution of money to the smaller teams means that they have to sell their prospects to stay financially sound.

Real and Barca can have massive squads because players on the periphery have the ultimate goal in mind, i.e. becoming a starter for Real or Barca. If a player doesn't hold that reverence for his club, he won't stick around.

I think we have to measure United against Chelsea and City. Ok, maybe London is more attractive for a player than Manchester, but lets be honest, the difference isn't massive. Manchester has plenty in the way cultural draws, at least when compared to London.

Is it money? Well, no, Rooney is paid as much as anyone at City or Chelsea. Maybe we're not willing to give young players very high wages when they first join. Maybe we're more cautious and that prevents us from getting deals done quickly.

Honestly, I don't know. Are you worried about the fact that City, Chelsea and Spurs have made good signings already? I am a little.

The best young players seem to have made their move already.

But Thiago and Strootman are yet to sign, and the papers are absolutely full of **** as per usual. If you we're cynical about how close united really were to signing Thiago (as I was), then consistency would dictate that you have to be cynical about his imminent Bayern move.

I'm surprised by Guardiola. Bayern have just won the treble and signed Götze, is it good business to be adding to a bloated midfield? Particularly a player who is said to desperate to play enough to make it into the World Cup team. United, objectively, should be his first choice if that is the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I hope we keep Nani
Aestivating until the 17th August when we sign Cristiano Ronaldo. :teeth:
Reply 6212
I personally think the club put their standards on midfielders far to high, players like Vidal/Gundogan/Moutinho/Marchisio/Strootman/Wanyame were linked with us before they were stars but Fergie must've believed his current crop were better and wanted only a proven player like Xavi/Schweinsteiger/Modric/Sneijder/Kagawa/Nasri, its ridiculous, we should've wrapped up a deal for Strootman or Moutinho last season already, I bet that we'll be linked with Strootman or Wanyama in 2-3 years for a price of around £30-40 million but will find it too expensive only because we didn't buy them for half the price today, don't worry though we'll buy Fellani and Baines for about £40 mil, its always with midfield as well, we have no problem paying around 15mil for Jones/Smalling/Young/Zaha.
Ben Pearson looks like a really good player. I think Moyes will use him this season in the league cup, just like Januzaj.

We have bright prospects coming through.

If Thiago goes to Bayern, I wish that Moyes would go and get Gustavo. He is exactly what we NEED!

If we get Gustavo and Thiago, the treble is simply in the bag.
Reply 6214
Original post by DH1'
Who's to say either of them are good enough anyway?!

You have to question why Wanyama would be going to Southampton and not another big club. Likewise, Van Ginkel going to Chelsea, but Strootman going to a lesser team(Roma). I'd rather we buy the right players, if that means waiting longer, then so be it. Thiago is that player but it's just one of those things if we miss out on him. The desperation for a midfielder shouldn't result in being happy with any old name that's linked with us.

I'm tired of waiting, did Juve wait instead of getting Vidal, did BVB wait before getting Gundogan no, why wait for the right player only to keep losing out due to not wanting to pay their high wages or getting beat by Barca/Real/Bayern, we either have to pay top dollar or take a risk on a youngster as the current crop are not exactly good enough in Europe.
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Ben Pearson looks like a really good player. I think Moyes will use him this season in the league cup, just like Januzaj.

We have bright prospects coming through.

If Thiago goes to Bayern, I wish that Moyes would go and get Gustavo. He is exactly what we NEED!

lol
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

Jesus.

Talk about sensationalism.

Have you considered a career in journalism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel
lol

That arrogance
Original post by Tommyjw
Decent chant?

@Jay_in_Essex
I am a Spanish man, from down Matt Busby Way, and I can play. What can you play? I play the United way. Thia-Thia-Thiago, Thiago, Thiago.

:biggrin:

That is ****ing horrendous :biggrin: The words don't even fit :biggrin:

Nobody at the game would sing something like that. It's a good job you won't be singing it.

Awful.

Just saw Jay in Essex. :rolleyes:
Real and Barca can have massive squads because players on the periphery have the ultimate goal in mind, i.e. becoming a starter for Real or Barca. If a player doesn't hold that reverence for his club, he won't stick around.

We can't compete with Barca or Madrid. I'm sure a lot of people seem to think that players should pick this club, because they're being given an opportunity to play for Manchester United, but I don't think that's going to cut it any more.

A lot of the Southern European and South American's seem to have Barca and Madrid as their destination clubs. It's hard to compete with that, unless they've been life long United fans or we're prepared to pay silly amounts of money. The club have shown that they aren't willing to do that.

I think we have to measure United against Chelsea and City. Ok, maybe London is more attractive for a player than Manchester, but lets be honest, the difference isn't massive. Manchester has plenty in the way cultural draws, at least when compared to London.

Is it money? Well, no, Rooney is paid as much as anyone at City or Chelsea. Maybe we're not willing to give young players very high wages when they first join. Maybe we're more cautious and that prevents us from getting deals done quickly.

Honestly, I don't know. Are you worried about the fact that City, Chelsea and Spurs have made good signings already? I am a little.

Chelsea and City are the clubs that we're really competing against. Money is the main factor. You can't compare Rooney to other players. Mainly because he already plays for us. The club believed that Rooney was worth £250k in wages. Whether they still believe that, I don't know, but they did back then.

We have lost out on a few players, because we've been unwilling to pay large transfer fees or high wages. We lost Robben and Essien to Chelsea. Both players said they wanted to sign for us and then they signed for them. Most likely wages. We missed out on Sneijder because we wouldn't pay his wage demands. We seemed to lose out on Hazard because of wages again and possibly agent fees. We lost out on Lucas, because we wouldn't pay the transfer fee. There are probably more, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

It keeps happening and it will continue to happen. The club aren't willing to pay over the odds for elite talent. Our rivals will and for that reason, we will keep missing out. Unless we get lucky and the player has been a life long United fan. He'll more than likely have to be willing to play for us for less money.

I'm worried that we don't seem to be doing anything. Most of the other big clubs have already made moves for good players. Moyes says that we're working on it, but it's still worrying.

I'm surprised by Guardiola. Bayern have just won the treble and signed Götze, is it good business to be adding to a bloated midfield? Particularly a player who is said to desperate to play enough to make it into the World Cup team. United, objectively, should be his first choice if that is the case.

He's choice is not surprising. Bayern is the club to be at for Germans. It's basically the same as United being the club to be at for English players. They look as strong as ever, so why wouldn't a player want to be there?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest