The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Living at home 2013

Is anyone else commuting to uni and starting this september or is anyone doing it currently?

I have a pretty commitments at home so it would be more convenient to commute.

I was just wondering is anyone worried their going to miss out on meeting new people and miss going out all the time? or do you still get that while living at home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Im just finishing my first year and I had to make the discussion as to whether commute or live in because I live so close to my Uni.

I chose to live in. And so glad i did. The people I live with are the greatest people I've ever met and you bond with them having to live with them and because you aren't all doing the same course there are a mix of characters.

Don't get me wrong, your course mates will be your friends too, but when they are going out to freshers events or going out for tea in the evening, you'll soon feel left out.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Ill be commuting my first year and by the looks of a few posts quite a few people are, sure either way will be fine as not everyone hangs around with there flat mates constantly it will just be harder for us at the start to meet new people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm moving in with my cousin but in Derby, so not using the student accommodation! I'm just worried about meeting new people and how to go about freshers week?
Reply 4
Same for me, I know 1 second year, hoping that when a few more people get there results will be some more of us... Nearer the time of freshers will have to try and sort out something for people who travel to meet up, might mean a few people to hang around with to meet new people with :/ or to go to freshers fairs with or something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely, because they will move in a week before freshers so everyone will meet before hand however we might not! Add me on Facebook Lauryn Tennant :smile: I must admit I'm excited for the day I move out though! woop :smile:
Hey,

I'll be doing Zoology at Derby, travelling there from Sheffield by train.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by lauren tennant
Definitely, because they will move in a week before freshers so everyone will meet before hand however we might not! Add me on Facebook Lauryn Tennant :smile: I must admit I'm excited for the day I move out though! woop :smile:

Added you :smile: I already live by myself so I don't have to sort anything out thankfully...what uni site will you be based on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ZachB
Hey,

I'll be doing Zoology at Derby, travelling there from Sheffield by train.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What site does zoology put you at? Is that the city ones or is it the other one? I was thinking about getting a hotel room or staying at a friends for freshers, can you get home late or is your last train quite early?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah Zoology is at the main site at Kedleston road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't stress, with different people on different modules and different people working through their degrees at different speeds due to placement years etc you meet new people all the time. Someone having a week head start on you will see trivial over the span of your course. If its anything like my time you might find things are far less clicky than you expect and you just get talking to new people all the time.
Reply 11
I'm travelling from long eaton/toton everyday and studying Biology :smile: would be great to meet up with other travelling in people
Yup I'm living at home; well for the first year anyway - haven't decided for my degree yet as the degree will be in Buxton!

I'm commuting from a suburb of Derby so it means two buses to the Kedleston Rd site; still trying to work the cheapest option via the buses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I am a "very" mature student lol, and I will travel from Lichfield Staffordshire, but also I am looking to get accommodation for 1 or two nights a week!! I am doing International spa management and I have a small business to keep running.
Reply 14
Original post by PALETH
I am a "very" mature student lol, and I will travel from Lichfield Staffordshire, but also I am looking to get accommodation for 1 or two nights a week!! I am doing International spa management and I have a small business to keep running.

Hi,
When you say accommodation do you mean hotels or staying with others or renting a room??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Aww thanks for replying. Anything really! I will prefer to rent a room in a private house for the time that I need it. Do you know any places? xx
Original post by PALETH
Aww thanks for replying. Anything really! I will prefer to rent a room in a private house for the time that I need it. Do you know any places? xx

Hi Paleth,

Don't forget that your course will be based at our Buxton site, so you will be looking at accommodation there!

Stacey
Hii,
I'll be commuting too. I went to Nottingham Trent last year and lived in halls. It was okay, but didn't get on with my flatmates too well so I think it's the luck of the draw really. Personally, I went to uni to study and I found a lot of people went to go out every night (literally) and because I'm starting afresh and doing Primary Ed I don't fancy having my flatmates making a racket until 3am when I'm on placement! Towards the end of the year this year I commuted a few times from home (near Sheffield/Chesterfield) to Nottingham on the train and it's not as bad as it seems when you can just sit on the train and relax. It also worked out £5000 cheaper for me to live at home sooo.... :smile:
Reply 18
Yes Stacey, Buxton . I guess what I am going to do is visit Buxton an go to bread and breakfast to get a quote. It is exciting x
I'm staying at home :smile: as due to scouting/coaching commitments :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending