The Student Room Group

A-Level Italian

Hi! I'm coming to the end of Year 10, and this year I finished my Italian GCSE- I started it in Year 9, with a class of people from my year and the year above. I'm predicted an A although the teacher thinks I'll probably get an A* (my fingers are crossed!), and I've spoken to the A-Level Italian teacher- she says it's fine for me to start the AS next year, as the subject is mainly out of hours. Basically, I'm doing this because I'm the only one in my year who wants to do the Italian A-Level :cool:

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone here has done or is doing Italian A-Level... what's it like? Also, is there a big gap between a language at GCSE and at A-Level- should I do anything over the summer to prepare?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My brother does A-level Italian and he said it was quite a big step up from gcse. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Mr plumby
My brother does A-level Italian and he said it was quite a big step up from gcse. :wink:

:eek: I probably should do some studying then!! :tongue:
Original post by EmilyJayne14
:eek: I probably should do some studying then!! :tongue:
Do you know the examboard you will be doing? It might help to ask your sixth form/college which student book they use.
Reply 4
Original post by Infinity_4652
Do you know the examboard you will be doing? It might help to ask your sixth form/college which student book they use.

We're on Edexcel, and I think the school give us textbooks in September... I'll have a look through which grammar things we need to know (I have the specification) and make sure that I know how to conjugate the tenses on there that we learnt before.
We're on Edexcel, and I think the school give us textbooks in September... I'll have a look through which grammar things we need to know (I have the specification) and make sure that I know how to conjugate the tenses on there that we learnt before.

Awesome!! For grammar, get this book from amazon - www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-French-Grammar-Practice/dp/0435396099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373742275&sr=8-1&keywords=edexcel+a+level+french+grammar I have it and its really awesome!! It makes your grammar learning so much easier.
Reply 6
Awesome!! For grammar, get this book from amazon - www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-French-Grammar-Practice/dp/0435396099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373742275&sr=8-1&keywords=edexcel+a+level+french+grammar I have it and its really awesome!! It makes your grammar learning so much easier.

That looks useful!! I've seen some other grammar books (the Year 11s in my class had one that looked good) so I'll browse once I know what the school gives us :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh wow, I've just found the Italian version and am looking inside, and it looks amazing!!
(edited 10 years ago)
That looks useful!! I've seen some other grammar books (the Year 11s in my class had one that looked good) so I'll browse once I know what the school gives us :biggrin:
Best of luck for A level!
Reply 8
Best of luck for A level!

Haha thank you!! :smile:
Haha thank you!! :smile:
No problem! :tongue:
Reply 10
No problem! :tongue:

I'm assuming you do A-Level French?? :wink:
Hi! I'm coming to the end of Year 10, and this year I finished my Italian GCSE- I started it in Year 9, with a class of people from my year and the year above. I'm predicted an A although the teacher thinks I'll probably get an A* (my fingers are crossed!), and I've spoken to the A-Level Italian teacher- she says it's fine for me to start the AS next year, as the subject is mainly out of hours. Basically, I'm doing this because I'm the only one in my year who wants to do the Italian A-Level :cool:

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone here has done or is doing Italian A-Level... what's it like? Also, is there a big gap between a language at GCSE and at A-Level- should I do anything over the summer to prepare?

Bit off topic but have you read any Dante. Helps your Italian and its MUCH better than Shakespeare IMHO
apri li occhi e vidi qual son io
tu hai vedute cose che possente
se' fatto a sostener lo riso mio
'open your eyes and see what I am:
youve seen things that you've been made able to
sustain my smile' (spoken by his girlfriend after hes been temporarily blinded) but its WAAAAY better in Italian
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Harrie Lyons
Bit off topic but have you read any Dante. Helps your Italian and its MUCH better than Shakespeare IMHO
apri li occhi e vidi qual son io
tu hai vedute cose che possente
se' fatto a sostener lo riso mio
'open your eyes and see what I am:
youve seen things that you've been made able to
sustain my smile' (spoken by his girlfriend after hes been temporarily blinded) but its WAAAAY better in Italian

No I haven't, but I'll keep that in mind :smile: Hopefully I can find some Dante in the library or something!
No I haven't, but I'll keep that in mind :smile: Hopefully I can find some Dante in the library or something!

The penguin editions have the Italian with the English facing opposite. Really useful:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Harrie Lyons
The penguin editions have the Italian with the English facing opposite. Really useful:smile:

Yeah that does sound useful :smile:
I'm assuming you do A-Level French?? :wink:
Yes, i will start AS level french in September. Im also self teaching italian on doulingo.com - really difficult, but fun!! :smile:
Reply 16
Yes, i will start AS level french in September. Im also self teaching italian on doulingo.com - really difficult, but fun!! :smile:

Awesome!! I'm probably going to do A-Level French when I'm actually in sixth form, I haven't finished the GCSE yet :tongue: Quite a lot of people seem to be using Duolingo recently!!
Awesome!! I'm probably going to do A-Level French when I'm actually in sixth form, I haven't finished the GCSE yet :tongue: Quite a lot of people seem to be using Duolingo recently!!
Doulingo is awesome! You should try it some day for german maybe?
Reply 18
Doulingo is awesome! You should try it some day for german maybe?

I've used Duolingo before, I've got the app :smile: I'm level 7 for Spanish and Italian, level 5 for French and level 3 for German- I was using it to try and remember Spanish after not having learnt it since Year 9!
I've used Duolingo before, I've got the app :smile: I'm level 7 for Spanish and Italian, level 5 for French and level 3 for German- I was using it to try and remember Spanish after not having learnt it since Year 9!
WOW that's a lot of languages!! :tongue: Im guessing you want to do something related to languages in the future??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending